New tires are rubbing on rear fenders

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 08:07 PM
GClayt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New tires are rubbing on rear fenders

I just got new tires and am pretty upset that they are rubbing on the rear fenders when I go over some bumps and such.
These are my specs:

Front Rim: 19x9
Rear Rim: 19x9.5

Front Tire: Yokohama S. Drive - 245/40/19
Rear Tire: Yokohama S. Drive - 275/35/19

So what are my options now? No fenders to roll on the G.
Is there any different control arms that may allow it to fit inside the fender?
Can I adjust the camber with the stock control arms?
Any help is much appreciated as I don't think the tire shop will do an exchange.
Attached Thumbnails New tires are rubbing on rear fenders-image3.jpg   New tires are rubbing on rear fenders-image1.jpg   New tires are rubbing on rear fenders-image2.jpg   New tires are rubbing on rear fenders-image4.jpg  

Last edited by GClayt; 07-11-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:55 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Should be able to get them to tuck ok w/ a mild drop and the additional camber that will go with that. Are you actually contacting the fender edge or the bumper bracket? What offsets are your wheels? Can't tell by the pics, but are you also having problems w/ the front tires rubbing?
Old 05-31-2017, 11:14 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Should be able to get them to tuck ok w/ a mild drop and the additional camber that will go with that. Are you actually contacting the fender edge or the bumper bracket? What offsets are your wheels? Can't tell by the pics, but are you also having problems w/ the front tires rubbing?

Probably bracket and fender liner.
Lower it. Add camber and relocate rear bumper tab and trim tab and liner. Booooom.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:16 PM
xnick101
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Has to do with your suspension setup. I run 275/35/19 on my 10.5 wheel and my fender sits right against the tire. But the suspension is stiff enough not to travel too much causing it to rub. -2.0 camber
Old 05-31-2017, 11:44 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

I saw in your other post in the suspension folder that you don't want to lower your G. You can get the 4 bolt SPC camber/toe set for the rear for about $60 if you have a dremel tool. This is one pair of bolts for the toe setting and one pair of bolts that connects to the non-adjustable OEM camber arm. If don't mind getting under your safely lifted car would get you enough camber to clear the fender (if that's where it's contacting). If it's just hitting the bumper tab bracket that can be shaved back w/ a dremel tool. Here's a thread (which has most of the pics gone unfortunately )
https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheels-...r-bracket.html
The following users liked this post:
GClayt (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 02:31 AM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Probably bracket and fender liner.
Lower it. Add camber and relocate rear bumper tab and trim tab and liner. Booooom.
wat do u mean relocate the bumper tab?
Old 06-01-2017, 07:47 AM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
or ditch the crap wheels, run sport wheels with spacers and those new tires
Old 06-01-2017, 11:06 AM
GClayt

I saw in your other post in the suspension folder that you don't want to lower your G. You can get the 4 bolt SPC camber/toe set for the rear for about $60 if you have a dremel tool. This is one pair of bolts for the toe setting and one pair of bolts that connects to the non-adjustable OEM camber arm. If don't mind getting under your safely lifted car would get you enough camber to clear the fender (if that's where it's contacting). If it's just hitting the bumper tab bracket that can be shaved back w/ a dremel tool. Here's a thread (which has most of the pics gone unfortunately )
I have no problem installing the SPC camber/toe, my buddy has a shop with a lift. I am concerned about alignment though and tread wear, but this is my mistake so I understand there has to be some trade offs.

Also, it is only rubbing on the fender from what I can see, there is a line around the tire directly below the fender.

PS. You are correct no intentions of lowering as this will just create more problems/ more negative camber.

blnewt really appreciate your immediate support, I was hoping you offer advice after reading all your posts in that fitment thread. Thanks a bunch !
Old 06-01-2017, 11:08 AM
GClayt

The fronts seem fine, I have only been driving for 1 day though, seems like lots of clearance though.

Also, where is the bumper tab located within the wheel well?
Old 06-01-2017, 01:47 PM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 255 Likes on 201 Posts
trim the bumper bracket
Old 06-02-2017, 11:18 AM
GClayt

Thanks for the help everyone, I have ordered these. I will update some pics. when I have them installed.

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
PharmaG (04-27-2020)
Old 06-02-2017, 02:19 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by GClayt
Thanks for the help everyone, I have ordered these. I will update some pics. when I have them installed.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You got ones for the older G35/350z this is the part # you need

http://www.spcalignment.com/componen...AFrom&to=USATo

And the part on Amazon Canada
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by blnewt; 06-02-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:58 PM
GClayt

Blnewt your a beauty. Thanks for the save cancelled my ordered and grabbed the correct ones. Now to just be careful in the mean time...
Old 06-29-2017, 01:51 PM
GClayt

I finally got these installed last and an alignment today. The rear camber is sitting at approx. -3 degrees and still rubbing on something.

I am thinking it might be hitting the bumper bracket now, so I guess I will mess around with that next. Would you recommend bending the bracket down or shaving it back?
Old 06-29-2017, 05:01 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by GClayt
I finally got these installed last and an alignment today. The rear camber is sitting at approx. -3 degrees and still rubbing on something.

I am thinking it might be hitting the bumper bracket now, so I guess I will mess around with that next. Would you recommend bending the bracket down or shaving it back?
Shaving it back w/ a dremel is what most do. Did you need that much camber to fit inside the fender? If not I'd run the camber a bit less negative just so it sits inside the fender edge w/out contact.
BTW, do you know what your wheel offset specs are?

Quick Reply: New tires are rubbing on rear fenders