Hum sound not bearings

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 09:00 PM
tdoug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hum sound not bearings

I recently had a bad right driver side wheel bearing that i switched out as it sounded like a monster truck. I did both the front driver and passenger with new timkins. I now hear a hollow sound. Not sure if it is road noise and i am just listening too hard for a sound now after the bearing problem....(it almost sounds like when you hit a tire with a mallet or when you drive over rough pavement if that makes sense.) The sound starts from around 10 mph and sounds the same up to 80+ even on smooh pavement and is coming from the driver front. It does not change with speed...shift to neutral the sound is the same, swe are hard left or right sound is the same. Car has to be moving so not the engine. I jacked up and spun all wheels..tugged on them...all sound good. CV have no sound when spinning as well. Checked brake slides and lubed pads as well. It's a g37x sedan with 120k. Any suggestions, I am at a loss. About to just say it's road noise on my cheap Hankook noble s2s and give up till it gets worse. The bearing noise I had was much louder than this before I changed them.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:39 AM
Hassan Arif

Originally Posted by tdoug
I recently had a bad right driver side wheel bearing that i switched out as it sounded like a monster truck. I did both the front driver and passenger with new timkins. I now hear a hollow sound. Not sure if it is road noise and i am just listening too hard for a sound now after the bearing problem....(it almost sounds like when you hit a tire with a mallet or when you drive over rough pavement if that makes sense.) The sound starts from around 10 mph and sounds the same up to 80+ even on smooh pavement and is coming from the driver front. It does not change with speed...shift to neutral the sound is the same, swe are hard left or right sound is the same. Car has to be moving so not the engine. I jacked up and spun all wheels..tugged on them...all sound good. CV have no sound when spinning as well. Checked brake slides and lubed pads as well. It's a g37x sedan with 120k. Any suggestions, I am at a loss. About to just say it's road noise on my cheap Hankook noble s2s and give up till it gets worse. The bearing noise I had was much louder than this before I changed them.

Thanks in advance.
I have a 2010 G37xS with 18 inch rims wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ with about 6K miles on them. I had the AS3 prior to these AS3+ and I hear the same sound you are talking about. I bought my car with 32K miles and unfortunately, a day after I hit a pot hole that bent the front passenger rim and popped the tire as well. Since then, I hear this humming noise (Or maybe it was always there and I started to pay attention to it after the incident) and after getting new tires the sound in still there (69K on the odometer). I had two mechanics look at my wheel bearing and they said it is not the issue. It really takes away from the luxury feel of the car,

Sorry I was not able to help but I am in the same situation as you are. I hope you find a solution soon!
Old 05-14-2017, 12:46 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
To check if it's tire noise rotate your tires front to back and see if the noise moves.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:20 AM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
The aluminum control arms on these cars transmit loads of road noise to the cabin. You're probably suffering from a mild case of automotive hypochondriasis. I suffer from it, too.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:00 AM
Hassan Arif

Originally Posted by Selym
The aluminum control arms on these cars transmit loads of road noise to the cabin. You're probably suffering from a mild case of automotive hypochondriasis. I suffer from it, too.
You are probably right! My wife who drives this car often doesn't hear anything :/ even when I try to make her hear it
Old 05-14-2017, 03:02 AM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 239 Posts
Could be the tires
Old 05-14-2017, 11:09 AM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
To check if it's tire noise rotate your tires front to back and see if the noise moves.
agreed...also what is the tire life on them?
Old 05-14-2017, 12:43 PM
tdoug

The tires were new in November and I rotate regularly. Think i am just paranoid after the bearing sound. Now i listen for everything. If it gets louder then I will know it's something else. Thanks again.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:27 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
The tires were new in November and I rotate regularly. Think i am just paranoid after the bearing sound. Now i listen for everything. If it gets louder then I will know it's something else. Thanks again.
Does the sound follow the tire or stay in the same spot after rotation?
Old 05-14-2017, 04:14 PM
tdoug

Stays in the same spot...to me it seems like the driver front. Did the paper delivery man lean to the passenger side and didn't hear anything over there.
Has anyone have a front differential go? Wonder if that could be the cause. (Already changed out the oil in front and rear differential as well.)
When I turn the wheels when jacked up a can hear a slight gear mesh sound from the front diff. as well as slight brake rub (normal rub). I took out the pads as well and bearing sounds good and quiet as they were replace 1000 mules ago.

no ticking from the cv. Wonder if the cv's could be causing a hum before the popping and clicking starts.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:34 PM
tdoug

This just in...I jacked it back up and spun the wheel after a long drive...I hear a tap tap tap tap sound..which increase the faster i spin the wheel. This sound is only there when I pull the wheel to spin in (load it) and it comes from somehwere closer to the differential. If I let it spin free there is no noise. I am thinking cv joints but strange the top joint would be making the noise and not the joint closest to the wheel.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:59 AM
Hassan Arif

This just in...I jacked it back up and spun the wheel after a long drive...I hear a tap tap tap tap sound..which increase the faster i spin the wheel. This sound is only there when I pull the wheel to spin in (load it) and it comes from somehwere closer to the differential. If I let it spin free there is no noise. I am thinking cv joints but strange the top joint would be making the noise and not the joint closest to the wheel.
Please post what you find to be the solution. You might help me solve my almost two year battle
Old 09-16-2017, 10:37 PM
tdoug

Hassan - Been awhile since I signed in here...i am still battling this. It hasn't gotten worse so think it's normal. Last night I cleaned and greased the slider pins on my front brakes as I thought maybe they were sticking...still haven't driven it since, so not sure if it helped. I think it is my tires....I hear a similar sound in our other car, but no where near as loud. The thing is, I hear it at at almost any speed and the sound doesn't change pitch or frequency depending on the speed.... I might try pulling the inner fender plastic and dynomatting the wheel well under it as it is driving me insane.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:28 PM
Hassan Arif

Hassan - Been awhile since I signed in here...i am still battling this. It hasn't gotten worse so think it's normal. Last night I cleaned and greased the slider pins on my front brakes as I thought maybe they were sticking...still haven't driven it since, so not sure if it helped. I think it is my tires....I hear a similar sound in our other car, but no where near as loud. The thing is, I hear it at at almost any speed and the sound doesn't change pitch or frequency depending on the speed.... I might try pulling the inner fender plastic and dynomatting the wheel well under it as it is driving me insane.
After having driven my car for 45K miles, I have narrowed it down to the tires as well. When I purchased the car with 33K miles, it had Michelin Pilot AS3. They had about 2000 miles on them at the time. I had them replaced with Michelin Pilot AS3+ when the car had 63K miles and the noise did not really change. Maybe it a little bit less now but that hollow sound is still there. I had the chance to drive the 2014 Q40 for about a week as a loner car from Infiniti. It had the 17 inch rims and had some flavor of Dunlops on it and I did not hear this hollow roaring/humming sound. I guess since my G has the 18 inch rims and the sporty, stiff sidewall tires, it resonates a lot more noise into the cabin. I am having the transmission oil changed very soon and will have the shop look into again just to make sure its not anything else but normal sound for these performance tires.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:53 AM
G-MENTED
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a similar noise issue... a clicking noise that got more frequent over time and hollow bearing noise i can hear and feel when turning right about 45 degrees around 30+ mph. i have to replace my tires soon so we shall see...

Quick Reply: Hum sound not bearings