Need suggestions for wheel situation

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:26 AM
ClassyPump
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Need suggestions for wheel situation

Hey guys, I have 3 different options for whenever it comes to my wheels.
To give some more background, I had picked up my G not too long ago and done quite a few mods already. I purchased a new set of brake pads and drilled/slotted rotors but I'm waiting to put those on. I'm trying to figure out my best option for my situation as far as wheel customization goes. I have OEM rims on now (I refer to them as rims) and not sure what I want to do. I live in Pittsburgh (picture taken at Schenley Park if any of you guys are familiar or local) and we can have bad winters here. This past winter was nothing, but salt has to be accountable for making my option.
Anyways, option number 1 is that I just simply don't do anything with the rims. Keep them as they are. I know the picture isn't that close on the wheels but the rims all have curb rash from previous owner and they're peeling. So that's why I'm against this option but I'll throw it out there.
Option 2 is that I fix that curb rashes and paint the rims glossy black. Black is what I want to go with for the rims. May be overrated but that's what I want to do. I dislike this option as well being that it's expensive to do this (not as expensive as aftermarket rims) and it'll still be my only set of rims whenever it comes to winter. So salt will still be an issue. I'm thinking it'll cost around $600 to properly fix the rashes and paint all 4 rims. So with that being said, I'm leaning towards option 3.
Option 3 is buying a new set of aftermarket rims and using the OEM rims for winter. This is ideal but the most expensive. I plan on getting new tires either way with any of the options. If I do option 2 or 3, I want to do that while doing the brakes to knock everything out at the same time. Problem with option 3 is that I'm not even sure what set of rims I'd want. So id also like suggestions on rims/links if you think option 3 is best.
What are your guys opinions? This is a 2011 G37xS coupe with sports suspension and Akebono brakes

Last edited by ClassyPump; 04-18-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:34 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
The brakes on our cars are not made by Brembo, they are made by Akebono. I'd recommend buying an aftermarket set of wheels and selling your stock set to recoup some costs, since this seems like the primary factor in the decision. Mount a nice set of all season tires, such as the Continental DWS06, and you will have no problem using those wheels all year round. I live in Chicago and we have terrible snow storms, this option has worked fine for me.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:06 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Welcome to the site!
Ryne speaks the truth Your XS comes from the factory w/ the big Akebono brakes, a very nice upgrade FWIW.
If I were in your shoes I'd get some aftermarket 19" wheels, plenty of good options in black, and run some good grip summer tires and save your other pre-rashed wheels for the crud of winter. This will keep your new shiny wheels from the winter crud and you'll have a better performing tire for the time of year when it's above 40 degrees.
For wheel specific questions and ideas post over in this folder, and post up a budget that you can handle. Don't forget our on site classifieds too.
Wheels & Tires - MyG37
Old 04-18-2016, 12:29 PM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
I recommend keeping the stocks and getting a different set...whether that new set is worse or better. I like having the options to switch and you won't get bored as easily. If you plan on going aftermarket look for a lighter, preferably forged wheel (not cast like niche/varrs/verde/vossen...etc) and pair those with good summer tires. Also, don't go with black, it takes away from the sleek lines and color of your G. A silver or polished go really well on darker vehicles.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:36 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
^ The 2 wheel set rotation is the best option. If that's more than you want to spend, or more hassle than you want to maintain and swap out, then consider my option.

Another expense for that option is another set of TPMS if you don't want to deal with the warning light for half the year.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:52 PM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
I suggest the Work Emotion T7R w/ Conti DWS06s
You two would be so cute as twins