TPMS And Aftermarket Rims

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 03:43 PM
steven92

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
TPMS And Aftermarket Rims

I am in due need of new tires and have decided that I will just purchase a wheel/ tire package in the next month or so. Not trying to go overboard, just something nice on stock suspension such as the following picture. That being said, can the stock TPMS (tire pressure monitoring sensors) be installed on the aftermarket wheels, or will I need to purchase new sensors (TPMS Kit)

Old 02-08-2016, 04:07 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by steven92
I am in due need of new tires and have decided that I will just purchase a wheel/ tire package in the next month or so. Not trying to go overboard, just something nice on stock suspension such as the following picture. That being said, can the stock TPMS (tire pressure monitoring sensors) be installed on the aftermarket wheels, or will I need to purchase new sensors (TPMS Kit)

I believe you can swap them to the new wheels but you'll have to pay whoever is mounting the tires to do it. I have no idea if it is DIY-able.

If the currents tires have any life in them you could just buy a new set for the new tires and keep the old ones around as winter wheels and keep your new rims out of the salt.
The following users liked this post:
steven92 (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 04:23 PM
steven92

hmm ok so ill order the TPMS sensors from tire rack as well. Yes, my OEM tires have about 50% tread left but one has a small leak and some have sidewall cracking. I will leave them on the OEM rims and use them as a winter set.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:35 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
You will need to have the new TPMS sensors programmed to your car, they aren't just plug-and-play I believe.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:37 PM
steven92

Is this a headache? Say if I got my wheels installed at Infiniti, would they charge me a leg and an arm to do this?
Old 02-08-2016, 05:12 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Is this a headache? Say if I got my wheels installed at Infiniti, would they charge me a leg and an arm to do this?
I don't know how much this costs or if it has to be Infiniti/Nissan to do it. Hopefully others that have actually gone through it will chime in.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:25 PM
Jeebus

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
That's how I'm feeling right now, i'm in the market for new tires and want to get new rims while im at it.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:22 PM
Roadrash666
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
You will need to have the new TPMS sensors programmed to your car, they aren't just plug-and-play I believe.
He is 100% correct, the car has to be put into 'learn mode' and the sensors have to be initialized. I believe there is a DIY method involving differing tire pressures etc. I have access to the monitor and TPMS tool, so I did it that way. The whole process takes less than 15 minutes so it shouldn't cost much.Check the DIY section for the alternative method though, you may be able to get that to work.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:00 PM
LateApex

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Mine did. I picked up a set of wheels in the summer and to save money, at the time, just moved the sensors over. You can do that no problem. I figured I'd pick up sensors when/if i put snows on the OEM wheels. When a good deal on used Michelin Ice-X's popped up on CL, I grabbed them and got a set of sensors on Amazon for $30/each.

I had to take the car to the dealer for the annual safety inspection and a small warranty repair. I knew they'd be a bit pricey but i figured I'd go ahead and have them take care of the snow setup.

They charged $30-something each to install the TPMS sensors and do the mount balance. Not cheap but not crazy and about what I expected for the dealer. The kicker was they charged $115 to program the sensors. Just the programming.... It was $272 to install the TPMS on the OEM wheels, mount and balance the tires and program the TPMS, all in. The state inspection was *free*.

In retrospect, I should have just bought the Quickset for $150 and did the programming myself. I'm sure a Nissan dealer can do it perhaps a bit more reasonably and some tire shops should have an appropriate tool as well. ...or buy the Quickset, as I'll do, now.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:46 AM
Al Czervik
Pawn in Game of Life

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I just recently went through this little exercise. I bought my new wheels, tires and TPMS sensors all separate. I took them to a local tire shop and had them clone my new TPMS sensors to my OEM codes, install in the wheels, mount & balance and swap out my OEMs all for $100.00. Now that the TPMS sensors are cloned I can change between OEM and aftermarket set ups without worrying about the warning light.
The following 2 users liked this post by Al Czervik:
Bravo at (02-09-2016), LateApex (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 08:55 AM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 257 Likes on 229 Posts
What if you skipped buying the TPMS from tire rack and bought a set of the classifieds??

Have you looked?

Other than that the cloning idea that Al Czervick has ^^^ sounds like it's a good one.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:53 PM
LateApex

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I did not realize that the sensors could be cloned. I guess it's not so much cloning as it is changing/spoofing the ID on the new sensors to match the others. That's brilliant, Al. I'm going to definitely look at doing that in the spring. Might have to call a few local shops.
Al Czervik (02-09-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 11:52 AM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Al Czervik
I just recently went through this little exercise. I bought my new wheels, tires and TPMS sensors all separate. I took them to a local tire shop and had them clone my new TPMS sensors to my OEM codes, install in the wheels, mount & balance and swap out my OEMs all for $100.00. Now that the TPMS sensors are cloned I can change between OEM and aftermarket set ups without worrying about the warning light.
You think this will get too pricey if the TPMS are already installed? I bought new wheels and tires and wasn't considering the added cost of TPMS re-learning each time I swapped wheels sets, so this would be a great option.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Al Czervik
Pawn in Game of Life

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by JUMBO PALACE
You think this will get too pricey if the TPMS are already installed? I bought new wheels and tires and wasn't considering the added cost of TPMS re-learning each time I swapped wheels sets, so this would be a great option.
Hard to say... you'd have to get a quote. Keep in mind you would only need to have it done once though versus farking around with the codes everytime you swap wheel sets.

Last edited by Al Czervik; 02-11-2016 at 02:00 PM.
JUMBO PALACE (02-11-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 03:46 PM
steven92

These are the wheels I am 90% leaning to on purchasing. It comes with the TPMS sensors pre-programmed. What do you think of this fitment? I am unsure whether to get 19" or 20" I do not want to lower the car due to the roads in NY area are garage and I do not want to bend my rims.

Quick Reply: TPMS And Aftermarket Rims