Opinions on New Wheel Blemishes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 04:50 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Opinions on New Wheel Blemishes?

Hi guys

I bought my first set of summer wheels and tires and they arrived today. Question for you all. 3 of the 4 have some minor blemishes on the lip. If there were your wheels would you bother with the return and exchange process or are little chips like this expected and going to happen anyway once the wheels are on the car? Thanks for the input! Wheels are Stance SF01. I forgot to snap a pic of a whole wheel for you guys.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:58 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
I'd be disappointed if they arrived like that also, especially for the money we pay for wheels. Honestly, chips like that will happen in time from rocks and such- probably even worse chips. If 75% of your wheels arrived with those marks, I would say it's a waste of your time to try again, that must be within Stance's quality control standards. Possibly the vendor will give you a small credit for the blemishes and everyone can walk away happy.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:22 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ryne
I'd be disappointed if they arrived like that also, especially for the money we pay for wheels. Honestly, chips like that will happen in time from rocks and such- probably even worse chips. If 75% of your wheels arrived with those marks, I would say it's a waste of your time to try again, that must be within Stance's quality control standards. Possibly the vendor will give you a small credit for the blemishes and everyone can walk away happy.
Thanks Ryne. I mostly wanted to see if I was just being ridiculously discerning or if my displeasure was warranted. I shot an email to Jason at getyourwheels who helped me order them and I'll see what he has to say.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:30 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
I don't know how much these wheels cost, but no, pits in new wheels is not acceptable.

It's likely those pits were present before the wheels were painted/powder coated. What's the manufacturing process used?
Old 02-02-2016, 08:34 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
I don't know how much these wheels cost, but no, pits in new wheels is not acceptable.

It's likely those pits were present before the wheels were painted/powder coated. What's the manufacturing process used?
"New to our 2015 Wheel line up is the SF01 wheel. The SF01 is the first rotary forged. Using the rotary forged method, allows up to build the SF01 stronger and lighter then cast wheels."
Old 02-02-2016, 08:55 PM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
Go for it, see what happens...company may offer something for it.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:58 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Those don't look like chips, if they were then I'd be concerned, the little pits and very small bubbles (which may have been a dust particle that was painted over) are very minor IMO. If they were scattered all over the wheel then I'd be sending them back, but if it's just a couple like you posted that's no biggie. I've seen much worse in wheels that somehow got through QC.
Look forward to install pics.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:07 AM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Thanks for the input guys. I'll admit I was pretty disappointed to see this when they arrived. I shot an email over to GetYourWheels and was told that Stance refuses to exchange wheels that have been mounted. So GetYourWheels wanted to give me $50 and call it a day. It just didn't seem fair to me that I can't take issue with my purchase when I'm just seeing it for the first time and the damage was not my fault. I sent a polite but strongly worded message back to GetYourWheels, so we'll see what happens. If all I get is $50 fine, but It's kind of the principal of the thing. Why should I get the crappy end of the stick when clearly either Stance missed this during production or GetYourWheels didn't notice/didn't care that it happened during mounting?
Old 02-03-2016, 12:16 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Mounted as in tires mounted or wheels mounted to the car? Folks pay big money for aftermarket wheels. The least these companies can do is produce them with an unblemished finish.

If you paid by credit card, I suppose there's always recourse through that.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:03 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Mounted as in tires mounted or wheels mounted to the car? Folks pay big money for aftermarket wheels. The least these companies can do is produce them with an unblemished finish.

They are not on the car but the pictures don't illustrate that. It's possible they were mistaken for being on the car. I will clarify if I have to. I think Stance is referring to mounted on the tires. That way they can just claim that whoever mounted them is to blame.

And unfortunately I paid with a debit card since I had the money on hand. Guess I'm learning my lesson here.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:51 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

You may still have recourse with the debit card too. Figure out what you want - a price reduction or wheel replacement. Push the merchant for resolution.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:04 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
How many of these pit/bubbles would you say you've seen in total?
Old 02-03-2016, 02:08 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
How many of these pit/bubbles would you say you've seen in total?
I took a couple more pictures but only posted a few to give you guys the idea. I'd say that in total there are probably 6-10 of varying degrees across 3 wheels.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:15 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by JUMBO PALACE
They are not on the car but the pictures don't illustrate that. It's possible they were mistaken for being on the car. I will clarify if I have to. I think Stance is referring to mounted on the tires. That way they can just claim that whoever mounted them is to blame.

And unfortunately I paid with a debit card since I had the money on hand. Guess I'm learning my lesson here.
Unfortunately, Stance meant tires mounted to the wheels. In their eyes, you should never mount a tire on a defective wheel, that's essentially when they stop taking responsibility. For an online wheel dealer, this philosophy should shift that responsibility to them, since they mounted a tire on a defective wheel, thus voiding the manufacturers warranty.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:17 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ryne
Unfortunately, Stance meant tires mounted to the wheels. In their eyes, you should never mount a tire on a defective wheel, that's essentially when they stop taking responsibility. For an online wheel dealer, this philosophy should shift that responsibility to them, since they mounted a tire on a defective wheel, thus voiding the manufacturers warranty.
Yup that is what I assumed and detailed in my email to GetYourWheels. They either damaged the wheel while mounting or should have noticed that it was damaged before mounting them and shipping to me.

Quick Reply: Opinions on New Wheel Blemishes?