Opinions on New Wheel Blemishes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 03:33 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
It's too bad these could not have been bought from discount tire or tirerack. They'd replace the wheel without a second thought.

One of my snow wheels from a local discount tire had a blemish to the face. Noticed this after the tires had already been mounted. Didn't think it was from the mounting. These were deep pits under the clear coat. Mgr looked at it, ordered a replacement wheel without any hesitation.

In between my camaro and the G37 I was the owner of a 2011 kia optima sux (sx) for a few months. Ordered a snow wheel/tire set from tirerack. They claimed this wheel would fit the bigger front brakes on this turd (the kia). Upon receipt, test fit front/rear. Rears fit with no issues, fronts wouldn't clear the calipers.

Tirerack gave me a bit of grief in returning, but ultimately accepted them back (with a few small scratches from where the caliper came in contact with the wheel inner). They wanted me to take pictures and measurements. Told 'em why would I bother returning the wheels/tires if they fit correctly. I did take some pictures but wasn't going to be bothered with measurements. That's their R&D dept's responsibility.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:43 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
Yes, Discount Tire is great and they could have been purchased from them. I buy all my wheels from them for this reason. A little known fact is that Discount Tire can get many more wheels than their website suggest, you just need to call for a quote. They are an authorized dealer of Stance, Vossen, and many others.

Dealers - Stance Wheels
Old 02-03-2016, 03:58 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Wow and here I was thinking GetYourWheels was one of the more reputable vendors. Well, as frustrating as this is there are worse things in the world than a few minor imperfections in my aftermarket wheels. Haven't head anything back yet from Jason but at the end of the day I still have new wheels I can't wait to get on the car. I'm sure an exchange is out of the question but maybe a few more $$ back is in the cards.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:00 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by JUMBO PALACE
Wow and here I was thinking GetYourWheels was one of the more reputable vendors. Well, as frustrating as this is there are worse things in the world than a few minor imperfections in my aftermarket wheels. Haven't head anything back yet from Jason but at the end of the day I still have new wheels I can't wait to get on the car. I'm sure an exchange is out of the question but maybe a few more $$ back is in the cards.
I've never liked the idea of having tires mounted and wheels shipped to me, although I know many like it. I just feel out of control without anyone to hold accountable and a lot of room for error (shipping, mounting, etc.)
Old 02-03-2016, 04:09 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ryne
I've never liked the idea of having tires mounted and wheels shipped to me, although I know many like it. I just feel out of control without anyone to hold accountable and a lot of room for error (shipping, mounting, etc.)
Yeah I can understand that now. I didn't even take something like this into consideration. Just figured I'd get everything all assembled and ready to go. We picked an expensive, complicated hobby...
Old 02-03-2016, 04:55 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Yeah I can understand that now. I didn't even take something like this into consideration. Just figured I'd get everything all assembled and ready to go. We picked an expensive, complicated hobby...
Yes, that is true.

Here is the bright side though. You are going to be getting compensation for blemishes that would have happened regardless.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:04 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
I took a couple more pictures but only posted a few to give you guys the idea. I'd say that in total there are probably 6-10 of varying degrees across 3 wheels.
I understand your frustration, I know pics don't always accurately represent the true view. From the pics you provided it doesn't seem to be bad, maybe I just have lower expectations, and from previous wheels that I have bought I've had a few minor issues that seem worse than what those pics show.

As far as Discount Tire, I know it depends on the staff but I haven't shared the positive experiences shared by some here. I had one wheel finish ruined by an air hammer after I specifically requested that they hand torque the wheel, along w/ scratches caused by their balancing machine. I now NEVER take my car to any shop to have tire work done, I'll load my wheels/tires in my truck and take them there and have them do balancing, flat repair, tire removal/installs, then I'll mount the wheels on my car(s). Just not worth the frustration anymore

Everyone has different takes on what is and what isn't acceptable. In the end if you're not happy hopefully the vendor can at least get you to a place where you feel like you've been treated fair.

G/L
The following 2 users liked this post by blnewt:
Al Czervik (02-03-2016), JUMBO PALACE (02-05-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 12:01 AM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Okay guys looks like we're reaching the end here. Stance has agreed to replace the one wheel with the actual hole in it but not the others since they're minor defects that are common in the manufacturing process. Fair enough I said. Here's the thing. GetYourWheels is only covering shipping one way so I would pay $30 out of pocket. Not a lot of money but still some I feel like I shouldn't have to spend. Is there any chance of this imperfection getting worse/rusting? If not then I'll live with it and take the $50 rather than spend another 30. Also here's a pic of a full wheel.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:41 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

The vendor failed to do a proper inspection before mounting the tire and shipping the wheel, they are at fault and should pay shipping both ways. You should not be required to pay for their mistake. Stance has verified the one wheel meets their standards for being considered defective. This really seems like a no brainer to me and for a relatively small cost, I think the vendor should have covered it for the sake of customer goodwill and forum sentiment alone. It just seems a little odd that the vendor will offer you a $50 credit, but now that Stance will replace a wheel for you, they will only cover one way shipping worth $30 (per your quote). Call me crazy, but if I was running a wheel vendor, spending the extra $10 to look like the good guy and help the customer seems like the cheapest marketing I could buy. There's a lot of places to buy the same wheels for the same price...
Old 02-04-2016, 02:02 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Believe me Ryne we're on the same page. It baffled me that a company could mess up literally every step of the way. It's completely soured me to dealing with GetYourWheels and I won't be giving them any more business. I am just hoping you or someone else can weigh in on whether or not that hole could lead to damage/rust in the future. If not I just want to take my $50 and call it a day. Tired of dealing with this and I don't want to spend any more money over the $2350 I've already forked over for wheels and tires.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:13 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Without dismounting the tire and inspecting the area on the inside, it's hard to be sure if it's just a surface defect or more.

Frankly, if it were me i'd be sending the whole thing back and demanding a full refund. My patience for such bs is very low.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:15 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Believe me Ryne we're on the same page. It baffled me that a company could mess up literally every step of the way. It's completely soured me to dealing with GetYourWheels and I won't be giving them any more business. I am just hoping you or someone else can weigh in on whether or not that hole could lead to damage/rust in the future. If not I just want to take my $50 and call it a day. Tired of dealing with this and I don't want to spend any more money over the $2350 I've already forked over for wheels and tires.
My gut instinct is that there will not be any corrosion. These wheels are made from aluminum which is highly resistant to corrosion and it looks like there is paint over the pit (not bare aluminum). If I were in your shoes with these choices, I would take the $50 and save myself further headaches.

Then you can go to Home Depot and buy a JB Weld putty stick to fill the pinhole and apply a dot of matching touch up paint.
The following users liked this post:
JUMBO PALACE (02-05-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 04:43 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ryne
My gut instinct is that there will not be any corrosion. These wheels are made from aluminum which is highly resistant to corrosion and it looks like there is paint over the pit (not bare aluminum). If I were in your shoes with these choices, I would take the $50 and save myself further headaches.

Then you can go to Home Depot and buy a JB Weld putty stick to fill the pinhole and apply a dot of matching touch up paint.
That's what I was leaning towards. The hole looks covered and I'd rather not lug the wheel to the UPS store and pay for shipping when it's a pretty small mark. Who knows, the new one could be worse considering how things have gone so far. Oh well. Gonna put this behind me, enjoy the wheels, and put $50 back in my pocket.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:05 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
That's what I was leaning towards. The hole looks covered and I'd rather not lug the wheel to the UPS store and pay for shipping when it's a pretty small mark. Who knows, the new one could be worse considering how things have gone so far. Oh well. Gonna put this behind me, enjoy the wheels, and put $50 back in my pocket.
Glad you got some resolution, maybe you could see if they could send you a paint pen w/ that paint color, at least if you have any nicks down the road or one of those areas gets worse you'd at least have a color match ready.
Nice wheels BTW
The following users liked this post:
JUMBO PALACE (02-05-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 11:39 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Nice wheels BTW
Very Ready for Spring

Quick Reply: Opinions on New Wheel Blemishes?