Stock wheels with spacers, no drop

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 11:18 AM
4DOORFUN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm considering some wheels spacers to use with my stock sedan sport wheels. I'm thinking this will make the car look slightly more aggressive and give the illusion of less fender gap.

Does anyone have a photo of a NON-AWD sedan with wheels spacers and OEM RWD ride height?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:19 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Interesting, i have a '11 sport sedan as a DD and have tossed the idea of lowering the car/bigger rims(19's) etc but just read too many members being unhappy with ride quality after drop and going back to stock. so as much as I want the look of a lowered car, just never proceeded with those mods. However, i have contemplated your above idea. on my previous 09 journey i had changed out the tires to conti's DWS and they seemed fatter and filled out the wheel gap nicely but not sure on the sport(maybe the DWs 06?) any way subbed for info...good luck.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:04 PM
JohnnyD

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Hmm, I'm interested in seeing this as well.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:02 PM
35Sport

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Here's one on eibachs

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...g37-sedan.html
Old 01-22-2016, 03:27 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

that is a good flush look and height, but presuming that the drop just completes that aggressive look etc..without the drop, maybe it would not be so aggressive..or sleek need...must... have pics....
Old 01-22-2016, 03:30 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
sorry op but I see no point in spacers if your cars not lowered in some way
Old 01-22-2016, 03:46 PM
kimmspeed
Premier Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
I respectfully disagree. I'm going to do spacers on the vert without a drop to hold me over until I can do the 'right' wheels and offset. I agree that both axis benefit from adjustment. But, no reason to forgo the spacers because you're not adjusting height.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:01 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
the wheels are not tucked at factory height so what are you trying to accomplish? as op states an "illusion" of less wheel gap...and its just that...an ILLUSION. but by all means...to each their own
Old 01-22-2016, 04:01 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

I think a pic=1k words for this topic. though even if it improved it marginally(i would be very happy) I'm certain that the 'w/o a drop its pointless' chant etc would still be the ruling opinion. fwiw i agree that drop+spacers offers the best look , but may just not be a feasible mod for some with DD's, especially in my case...my wife and i switch cars sometimes based on work issues so trying to keep the car as close to stock with some of its characteristics... so IN FOR PICS
Old 01-22-2016, 04:38 PM
kimmspeed
Premier Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Various G's with stock ride height with spacers...
First might be offset. But, the outcome would be similar. The side by side is obviously a G35. Gives the right impression though.
Attached Thumbnails Stock wheels with spacers, no drop-side-pic-1.jpg   Stock wheels with spacers, no drop-2844898467_d07d6cfcd0_o.jpg   Stock wheels with spacers, no drop-photo-1.jpg   Stock wheels with spacers, no drop-car-008.jpg   Stock wheels with spacers, no drop-spacer.jpg  

The following 2 users liked this post by kimmspeed:
Blksonic (01-23-2016), G37sPhoton (01-22-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 05:09 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

^^^^ yep just what i figured, i still cant decide,...
nevertheless, the look with spacers is slightly better than stock and slightly is an improvement so thanks for the pics Kimmspeed it helps out alot.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:16 PM
4DOORFUN

Kimspeed - thanks for posting those pics. Some look better than others as I suspect some of them are AWD with the higher factory ride height. As you know, the RWD G rides lower from the factory. Some really look better than I expected.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:26 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

^^^exactly and do some tire comparison as some will have a higher sidewall, that will also minimize the gap effect on your car. at least that's my plan...or until a pic is posted of a sedan with similar set up and it looks gangly and then no-go....thats my fear...keeps me awake at night...
Old 01-23-2016, 08:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
Daddy is right. If you pull the wheels out flush with the fenders while still at OEM ride height, all you end up doing is accentuating the gap, which at normal fitment is lessened (perceptually) by the deep offset. Because of the improved fitment, the car will look better to you from the front and the rear and various corner shots, but the profile will just look wrong. And when you approach the car, you typically approach it from the profile, you don't slide into it from the corner of the car. After a while, this wrongness is going to drive you nuts.

OP, go right ahead and play with your car, that's what we do. But your premise is flawed, IMO.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-23-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:35 AM
4DOORFUN

Originally Posted by Rochester
Daddy is right. If you pull the wheels out flush with the fenders while still at OEM ride height, all you end up doing is accentuating the gap, which at normal fitment is lessened (perceptually) by the deep offset. Because of the improved fitment, the car will look better to you from the front and the rear and various corner shots, but the profile will just look wrong. And when you approach the car, you typically approach it from the profile, you don't slide into it from the corner of the car. After a while, this wrongness is going to drive you nuts.

OP, go right ahead and play with your car, that's what we do. But your premise is flawed, IMO.
My other thought was to grab some coupe wheels. For some reason those look really good on the RWD sedans and the fender gap looks better than with the stock 18's (even though it measures the same).

Quick Reply: Stock wheels with spacers, no drop