Buying new tires - no knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 04:49 PM
loki213

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying new tires - no knowledge

Hello, I have a 2010 g37 base sedan. It currently has 225/55/17.

I would like to buy Michelin pilot super sports from now on for my car but they do not come in this size. This closest they have is 225/45/17.

Should I buy these or should I buy a larger rim? Any help would be appreciated. I have absolutely no knowledge about wheels/tires. I have tried using calculator sites but do not know what I am looking at.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:57 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Nah that won't work.. you'll have to get another set of wheels.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:10 PM
loki213

Should I buy 18 or 19 inch wheels?
Old 01-18-2016, 05:11 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Well personally, i have aftermarket 18s on my car and I wish i woulda gone 19s. Mainly for looks. Pretty sure tires for 19 inch wheels are more expensive, but i dunno. It's personal preference really.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:38 PM
loki213

I'm just really confused as to all the sizes that can fit on an 18 and 19 inch wheel. The make 30 sizes just for 18 inch wheels, how do I know what to get?
Old 01-18-2016, 05:47 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Why did you choose Michelin Pilot Super Sports and how will you be using them? Those were really great tires about 6 years ago, but there are so many better options now if you just want a really sticky summer tire. You can always go to larger wheels if you just want a different look, but that is a lot of extra money to pay if you just want a certain tire. Or just give the guys at the tirerack a call and they can walk you through what tires to consider based on how you will be using the car.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by loki213
I'm just really confused as to all the sizes that can fit on an 18 and 19 inch wheel. The make 30 sizes just for 18 inch wheels, how do I know what to get?
Go to Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels and type in the information for your car and the correct sizes will pull up. Or just give them a call and they can walk you through everything.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:05 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Why did you choose Michelin Pilot Super Sports and how will you be using them? Those were really great tires about 6 years ago, but there are so many better options now if you just want a really sticky summer tire. You can always go to larger wheels if you just want a different look, but that is a lot of extra money to pay if you just want a certain tire. Or just give the guys at the tirerack a call and they can walk you through what tires to consider based on how you will be using the car.
What do you feel is a superior tire to the PSS (in terms of a summer ultra high perf tire)? I thought the pss was still rated as the best or one of the best for this category.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:20 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
What do you feel is a superior tire to the PSS (in terms of a summer ultra high perf tire)? I thought the pss was still rated as the best or one of the best for this category.
I don't know what the OP wants out of a tire or how he will be using it so I was just using one example that if he just wants a really sticky summer tire, there are a lot better options like Bridgestone RE-11, RE-11A, RE-71R, Yokohama ADVAN ADO8R, Dunlop ZII, Hankook RS-3, BFG Rival, etc. Michelin even makes 4 or 5 stickier tires than the Pilot Super Sport. Not bad for off the top of my head (not that I have been looking at summer tires for my car recently at all...) My point was that he should consider other tires before he starts looking at rims. Who knows? His post says he has "no knowledge" so maybe he lives in MI and needs snow tires. There was not enough info in his question to give him a good answer.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:31 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
I'm in the market for tires too and have been considering the PSS, S-04's, etc. I doubt the OP is in the market for a track tire. Like wise, I'm looking for a really good street tire. Something that works great on the street, corners well, good feedback, good steering response, reasonably good treadlife (for the type of tire).

To the OP, you do realize it takes more than tires to improve handling. Figure out what you don't like about the car the way it is.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:33 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 284 Likes on 238 Posts
Where do you live? Note that Summer Tires become somewhat dangerous when temps dip below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. I live in San Diego, and with the recent weather (high 30s-low to mid 40s), I've had to be very careful.

Also
225/55ZR17
could be replaced with a wider/smaller sidewall tire like
235/45ZR17

The PSSs come in the latter...Ask Discount or Tire Rack to confirm.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:47 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
I'm in the market for tires too and have been considering the PSS, S-04's, etc. I doubt the OP is in the market for a track tire. Like wise, I'm looking for a really good street tire. Something that works great on the street, corners well, good feedback, good steering response, reasonably good treadlife (for the type of tire).

To the OP, you do realize it takes more than tires to improve handling. Figure out what you don't like about the car the way it is.
Yeah, I have no idea what the OP is looking for in a tire. I had a set of Pilot Super Sports on my E46 M3 and they were ok. They are made of a harder rubber and will probably last a lot longer than those tires I listed, but as a result they also don't have nearly the grip which is important in any RWD sedan w/ 300+ hp. The tires I listed are about the same price as the Michelins (some are even cheaper) and they have a lot better performance.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:53 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I don't know what the OP wants out of a tire or how he will be using it so I was just using one example that if he just wants a really sticky summer tire, there are a lot better options like Bridgestone RE-11, RE-11A, RE-71R, Yokohama ADVAN ADO8R, Dunlop ZII, Hankook RS-3, BFG Rival, etc. Michelin even makes 4 or 5 stickier tires than the Pilot Super Sport. Not bad for off the top of my head (not that I have been looking at summer tires for my car recently at all...) My point was that he should consider other tires before he starts looking at rims. Who knows? His post says he has "no knowledge" so maybe he lives in MI and needs snow tires. There was not enough info in his question to give him a good answer.
FWIW, the last time car and driver tested summer tires in 2012 the PSS ranked higher than the AD08R, RS3 and Drizzea.

If you're willing to step up to a more track focused tire you start having more choices. The problem with that, for me, is you're going to pay more and get less tread life. And at $1100 a set, and a 15,000 mile life, PSS are pricey enough when I burn through a set annually. Plus their phenomenal in the wet.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:19 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 275 Posts
Nice to see so much good advice here!

2 years ago I picked up Cooper’s RS3-A high-performance all-season tires for my old BMW. They are STUNNING! Great feedback, great turn in, great grip and great treadware.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:20 PM
loki213

I live in Miami. Its always hot or wet. I read these are the best summer tire. I drive very aggressive.

Quick Reply: Buying new tires - no knowledge