Wheel Noob Needs Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 02:28 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Wheel Noob Needs Help

Hey all,

I know winter is coming (RIP Ned) but I am starting to think about buying my first set of summer wheels for my X Coupe that is lowered on Swifts. I've never bought wheels before so I'm a little lost. I've done some research on my own but I need some help before pulling the trigger on anything.

I have my eyes on some Stance SF01 Wheels that are 19x9.5. I don't want 20s. They are just too big for me and I'd rather have a little more meat on my tires.

http://www.wheelfire.com/scontent/Wh...438&CheckFit=1

When it comes to buying tires is where I start to lose it. I found a multiplier online so I think that for a 9.5" width rim I would need 245mm tires. After that though I'm not sure what else to look for. I am going for a flush with the fenders look (not stanced at all) and I don't want to rub. Just a cleaner, more aggressive look. I know offset is important but I'm not sure how it works. The smaller the number the further out from the center of the car correct?

Anyway, I know this is long. Hope someone has the patience to help me out. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2015, 11:47 PM
Baby Jumpman
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Do you have the akebono brakes? That'll be important when deciding offset. For stock height people run around +40 offset. I'm lowered and run a +20 for looks and to clear the bbk. Tire size would be 245/40/19
Old 12-07-2015, 11:49 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by JUMBO PALACE
Hey all,

I know winter is coming (RIP Ned) but I am starting to think about buying my first set of summer wheels for my X Coupe that is lowered on Swifts. I've never bought wheels before so I'm a little lost. I've done some research on my own but I need some help before pulling the trigger on anything.

I have my eyes on some Stance SF01 Wheels that are 19x9.5. I don't want 20s. They are just too big for me and I'd rather have a little more meat on my tires.

When it comes to buying tires is where I start to lose it. I found a multiplier online so I think that for a 9.5" width rim I would need 245mm tires. After that though I'm not sure what else to look for. I am going for a flush with the fenders look (not stanced at all) and I don't want to rub. Just a cleaner, more aggressive look. I know offset is important but I'm not sure how it works. The smaller the number the further out from the center of the car correct?

Anyway, I know this is long. Hope someone has the patience to help me out. Thanks!
Not long, just covering your bases
Running 245/40/19s all around on 9.5s is a good plan for your AWD. It looks like you have a wide variety of offsets according to this site
19x9.5 Stance SF01 Brushed Silver (Rotary Forged) (True Directional) Wheels
I think a +35 offset will get you a more flush look without any problems w/ rubbing at the fender. A +30 will have the wheel right at the fender but will still tuck inside under compression, but the +35 gives you a little more wiggle room.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:46 AM
G37xhibeet

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts
Hey all,

Great wheel choice. I wish they were around when I was choosing
Old 12-08-2015, 11:24 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Advice
Thanks blnewt you've been awesome and helpful as always! I'm going to get my finances in order and hopefully take the plunge soon.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:25 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G37xhibeet
Great wheel choice. I wish they were around when I was choosing
Thanks! I really liked the look of the Vossen CVT but not the price tag. This is closer to what I'm willing to pay
Old 12-15-2015, 11:04 AM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Not long, just covering your bases
Running 245/40/19s all around on 9.5s is a good plan for your AWD. It looks like you have a wide variety of offsets according to this site
19x9.5 Stance SF01 Brushed Silver (Rotary Forged) (True Directional) Wheels
I think a +35 offset will get you a more flush look without any problems w/ rubbing at the fender. A +30 will have the wheel right at the fender but will still tuck inside under compression, but the +35 gives you a little more wiggle room.
Hey blnewt one more thing. I realized that they offer a 19x8.5 wheel as well. Is there a reason to get one over the other? And if I went with the 8.5 would the tire size have to change as well? Thanks bud!
Old 12-15-2015, 02:11 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Hey blnewt one more thing. I realized that they offer a 19x8.5 wheel as well. Is there a reason to get one over the other? And if I went with the 8.5 would the tire size have to change as well? Thanks bud!
Yeah, you can run the 8.5s w/ 245/40/19s, if you plan on going w/ bigger brakes at a later time you'd have to verify clearance though. Also the concavity will more than likely be decreased w/ the narrower wheel.