Help Michelin or Yokohama ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:46 AM
ChriSX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Michelin or Yokohama ?

Hi everyone, I have a question. I need to change my summer tires on my 09xS sedan and I have a dilema. My old tires was Yokohama Avid Ascend, they seemed to be good but I just bought the car with thoses tires on last summer so it was already near to the end of their life when I got them. Someone suggested me to try the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 and since that I read lots of good review on them even here. And when I search for the Yoko Ascend, I don't find anything here. I can get 4 Yoko for 630$(can.) or 4 Michelin for 800$(can.). I think the Michelin will be better for driving but the Yoko will last longer, am I right ? And I don't really care about winter driving because I'm in Québec, and here it's a law to have winter tire, so I won't drive them in the snow anyway except maybe in late november just before change for the winter tire.

So I'm trying to find the best compromise between price, duration and handling between those 2 set of tires. And if you have other suggestion at 1000$ and less, please let me know.

And sorry for my english, I'm french speaking
Old 04-15-2015, 12:21 PM
ChriSX

I kinda awnser myself but I understand why nobody talk about the Yokohama Avid Ascend here, they seem to suit more on a Honda Accord then a G37 ! I though they were more sport because they were on my car when I bought it and that I liked how the car was driving. I guess if I go with the Pilot Sport A/S 3 I will discover a new driving experience ! I'm only worried a bit about life of the tread, I know it can't be as long as a minivan boring tire, but I wish it would be decent compared to similar tire.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:58 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
If you're going to run winter tires why not run summer tires instead of all seasons?
Old 04-15-2015, 01:38 PM
ChriSX

Just because I ear the ultra performance 4 seasons like the Michelin will last longer than a performance summer tire but I might be wrong, I don't know much about tires. Can someone suggest me other good option ? I don't need 4 seasons, only a good average of longevity and driving abillity around or under 1000$.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:00 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by ChriSX
Just because I ear the ultra performance 4 seasons like the Michelin will last longer than a performance summer tire but I might be wrong, I don't know much about tires. Can someone suggest me other good option ? I don't need 4 seasons, only a good average of longevity and driving abillity around or under 1000$.
A summer tire is going to outperform an all season tire--all things being equal.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports > Michelin Pilot Sport AS3

The PSS have a 30,000 tread wear warranty. Unfortunately, long lasting and high performance don't really go together. I'd rather the wet and dry weather advantage of summer tires than the longevity of all seasons.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:05 PM
ChriSX

I understand your point, I was just reading reviews of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/W 3 and everyone seem amazed by how good they are. I have no intention to put my automatic sedan to any track or to drive at more than 140km/h but just to have a good handling when taking highway exit and driving on roads that have nice turns. So that's why I thought the compromise between handling and tread life might be good enough with a UHP 4 season according that I was using Yokohama Avid Ascend before that seem to be really bad compared to the Michelin PS A/S 3 !

I also compared the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 to the Continental ExtremeContact DWS but the michelin seems bether at handling. But there's a new version coming in may the DWS-06 that seem way better than the DWS but I didn't saw any comparison with the Michelin yet. I might wait a bit to see that before make a decision. And I will also check price for Super Sport instead of Pilot Sport
Old 04-16-2015, 07:59 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
I really like my Michelin AS-3's especially in the dry and wet. Pretty bad tire in the winter, but no worries if you have dedicated snows. They also have better steering response and I think run quieter. I'd buy them if it falls in your budget.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:52 AM
ChriSX

Thank Neal ! My only wonder was if I should wait to see how they will be compared to the new Continental DWS-06 that suppose to be release next mounth. I didn't saw any comparison with the Michelin yet but according to the review, they seems much better than the regular DWS. I sent a message to Continental about when they will be available in Canada but I got no awnser. I'm ok to wait maybe 3 weeks but not much more. But I looking more to buy the Michelin for now.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:47 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
Summer tires are a little dangerous if you live in an area with inclement weather. They grip like they are hanging on for dear life down to about 50 degrees F. Below that, they can quickly turn into skates. Add light rain....be careful. I'm in San Diego, where our inclement weather is just a handful of days per year and I have experienced first hand the difference. There are always tradeoffs. The AS/3 is a nice compromise.