Need advice on buying front tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Buktheng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on buying front tires

So I bought these tires Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct because I needed rear tires asap for my G37S Sedan. I wasn't thinking at the time but after I bought them, I come to realize this brand doesn't sell the front tires in the size this car needs which is 225/50/18.

Now what should I do about it? Can I use a different brand tire for the front of can I use wider tires? Looks like they offer 225/45, 235/50, 235/55 and 235/60. Which size would work best for the front tires if I was buy this brand again? Thank you for the help!
Old 12-12-2014, 05:19 PM
John B

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I would say either 225 or 245 and it shouldn't matter to much as long as it's the same performance category tire. Meaning you wouldn't want an all season tire mixed with a high performance summer tire.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I would just get the cheapest AS tire you can find in the OE size for the front.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:39 PM
dgey1

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
why can't you just put the same tire on in front? run a square setup... it won't hurt anything...
Old 12-12-2014, 07:50 PM
vqsmile

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by dgey1
why can't you just put the same tire on in front? run a square setup... it won't hurt anything...
Well, for one, the wheels is an inch narrower in the front on a Sport model.

The thing is, the OP has chosen such a "value" based tire, that he has pretty much already resigned getting any real performance from whatever he decided to run with them. Given his circumstances, I'd say go with the 235/50's as they're only about a 2% size difference, which should work ok with VDC and ABS.

EDIT: If it were me, I'd look into making the tire store replace the rear tires with some that are up to the manufacturer spec, which is supposed to be speed rated "W" on the Sport models. That tire is technically not even legal on a Sport model car, and the store could be liable in case of a failure. They clearly didn't do their homework and you have a legitimate claim to have them make good on it (i.e. give you full credit toward an appropriate replacement tire). Conveniently, that will also be your time to get a proper "set" of tires.

Last edited by vqsmile; 12-12-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
OP, it doesn't matter that they aren't the same brand, as long as all four tires have the same intent: all-season, 3-season, snows. You'll be fine, don't sweat it.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:41 PM
vqsmile

Originally Posted by Rochester

Whoopdidoo. Stretch the tire.

OK, but I think that would more accurately be called a "pinch", which is NEVER good for any kind of performance. I would agree that it matters not in the OP's case, as (I mentioned) any performance is already lost. My 1" narrower comment was only in response to dgey1's question about why it not good to put 245's on the stock Sport fronts.

Incidentally, a 225 on an 8.5" wheel (ie. stretched), would outperform a 245 on a 7.5" wheel (i.e. pinched) any day, any time, any where. My point is, you can whoopdidoo all you want, but if you care at all about performance it does matter which direction you're "stretching" a tire.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
OK, but I think that would more accurately be called a "pinch", which is NEVER good for any kind of performance. I would agree that it matters not in the OP's case, as (I mentioned) any performance is already lost. My 1" narrower comment was only in response to dgey1's question about why it not good to put 245's on the stock Sport fronts.

Incidentally, a 225 on an 8.5" wheel (ie. stretched), would outperform a 245 on a 7.5" wheel (i.e. pinched) any day, any time, any where. My point is, you can whoopdidoo all you want, but if you care at all about performance it does matter which direction you're "stretching" a tire.
He didn't allude to tire performance as a priority. Cost is the operative thing here, and the question is about mixing brands. Also, you'll note that I edited my comment because I realized he already had the rears, not the fronts, and you seem itching to talk about you. So meh.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-12-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:38 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
I would agree that it matters not in the OP's case, as (I mentioned) any performance is already lost.
Bingo. I alluded to the same thing. OP has no name AS tires in the rear. At $88/tire they are probably the cheapest tire he could find. At this point, having a matched set is moot. He might as well just find the cheapest AS tires he can in the OE size for the front.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:57 PM
vqsmile

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Bingo. I alluded to the same thing. OP has no name AS tires in the rear. At $88/tire they are probably the cheapest tire he could find. At this point, having a matched set is moot. He might as well just find the cheapest AS tires he can in the OE size for the front.
Guys, I seriously think he has a legitimate claim to make with the tire store about putting the wrong tires on the car in the first place, as they made two significant mistakes.

All he has to do is open his front door and show them the doorjamb sticker that says the car should have a W rated tire on it. They screwed up there, plain and simple; it's a liability issue and he should get the replaced on that count alone. Next, he could probably even get them to swap out the rears for simple fact that the don't make a front tire in the right size OR speed rating for the fronts. They sold him a tire that can't be made into a set!

If he had this done at Discount Tire, this should be a no-brainer. The store manager should be able to give him full credit for the rears and sell him a proper set of tires for a discount, given all the trouble they've caused him. He wouldn't be in this predicament if they did their job (and/or if he knew what he was doing).