Vibrations when cruising on hwy - already got alignment and balance done?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 07:51 PM
txg37x

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Vibrations when cruising on hwy - already got alignment and balance done?

As title says, I have vibrations (especially through the steering wheel) when cruising over 65 mph. During a two week period I got new tires, wheels powder coated/painted, brake pads & rotors, and Hotchkis sway bars on my X. I just got an alignment done and had the wheels balanced twice, and it's still vibrating. I know the car didn't vibrate before getting everything done. but I didn't notice which thing I did that caused the vibration to start.

I was supposed to take a 700 mile trip this weekend, but not sure if I want to now. What do yall think it could be?
Old 09-23-2014, 08:10 PM
rob145
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by txg37x
As title says, I have vibrations (especially through the steering wheel) when cruising over 65 mph. During a two week period I got new tires, wheels powder coated/painted, brake pads & rotors, and Hotchkis sway bars on my X. I just got an alignment done and had the wheels balanced twice, and it's still vibrating. I know the car didn't vibrate before getting everything done. but I didn't notice which thing I did that caused the vibration to start.

I was supposed to take a 700 mile trip this weekend, but not sure if I want to now. What do yall think it could be?
Same here man! I already got rotation and balance and alignment and above 75 mph my car still vibrates. I just don't drive over 70.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:39 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Swap your wheels front to back and see if it still vibrates?
Old 09-23-2014, 08:46 PM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
Could be damaged wheel? Check if the tires were mounted right. Do you have spacers or no?
Old 09-23-2014, 09:25 PM
txg37x

Damn Rob. That doesn't make me feel much better! What do you think caused your issues?

Lego: That's a great idea. I had them re-balance the wheels today, and I expected them to rotate as well, but they didn't. I'll be explicit and mention it when I take it in to get balance re-checked again on Thursday.

Sunny: I wish I had spacers; would make the wheels look better. The wheels were fine before I got them painted and added the new tires; no vibration. What do you mean the tires may have been mounted incorrectly? The directional pattern is facing the correct way.

I appreciate the feedback!
Old 09-23-2014, 10:34 PM
Sunny G
Registered Member

If you can take the wheels off and check for bends or spots where powder may have accumulated. This happens sometimes as well when powder coating. The only other thing I can really think that is causing vibrations is that if these are aftermarket wheels you may need hub centric rings if you dont have them already
The following users liked this post:
txg37x (10-06-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 10:36 PM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Also check if the wheels were torqued down properly
Old 09-23-2014, 11:50 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
It could also be the powdercoating, the thick hard powdercoat can get high spots, especially around the inner hub flange areas. This can cause the wheel-to-hub mount to be a bit off which will cause high speed vibration. The powdercaoating may have to be sanded if there are any high spots. This has been noted on a few occasions in the wheel folder.

***Oops, Sunny already mentioned this and I just passed that over, at any rate, I'd look into it.
txg37x (09-26-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 12:10 AM
txg37x

They're factory wheels from an M, but now with powdercoat, I guess they're not the same spec as before. Wouldn't any extra weight from the powdercoat show up when they're balancing the wheels? I mean if one side has extra coating, then wouldn't weights on the opposite side even it out?

Edit: Oh, I see what ya mean blnewt. The part where the wheel mounts to the hub may not be even, so it results in the vibration- not just a heavy part with coating on one area that weighs more than another area. That's definitely plausible. I guess if rotating mostly fixes the issue, then I'll take the two formerly front rims back to the powercoating shop to have them redo them. If the bad rim is on the back, then is should vibrate less in the steering wheel? Does that sound about right?

I read that this issue can be caused by bad hub or possible some bad suspension parts (controller arms? it's late and I forget which parts were mentioned that could cause the shaking/vibration).

Last edited by txg37x; 09-24-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:27 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Doubtful that it's suspension parts since this vibration only started when you had the freshly painted wheels installed. Don't think you'd have to go as far as repainting the wheels, just the area that mates to the brake rotors would need to be sanded true (if you've ruled out other causes).
Old 09-24-2014, 12:38 AM
MylilG

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
It was mentioned before on here. https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheels-...owdercoat.html

I would at least give it a look.
txg37x (09-26-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 01:11 AM
FXG37S

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Vibrations are usually caused by four things. 1- unbalanced wheel, 2- bent wheel, 3- bad tire, 4- bad shock, which causes the tire & wheel to hop or bounce while the car is going down the road.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:19 AM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
What @FXG37S said with the addition in some extreme cases you may have a warped rotor. I had this exact issue on my 2005 Maxima. Replaced the cheap rotors that came with that car (not sure if they were OEM since I bought used) and the problem went away.

But definitely get your wheel balancing checked out again. Make sure you find a place that does road-force balancing as these wheels change under load.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:24 PM
bri

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Also rotate the wheels/tires side to side. That cured a drifting problem I had because the tire was worn weird. And use stock lug nuts. They're flat while aftermarket are mostly cone or tapered and won't seat properly.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:03 AM
scottp2765

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I constantly fight vibration in my car too

I am really frustrated with my fight for a vibration free car too. I got real close after replacing my rotors and pads last time. It was practically vibration free with a very slight vibration at 80mph. That slight vibration just kept getting worse and now I have brake judder again at that speed. I also notices my right front tire is wearing faster than the others. I have an x as well. I really wish I could figure out why this happens/ is happening. I have stock wheels and AS/3's.

Quick Reply: Vibrations when cruising on hwy - already got alignment and balance done?