All season tire choice Michelin Primacy mxm4 or Conti DWS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 08:29 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
All season tire choice Michelin Primacy mxm4 or Conti DWS?

Hey folks,

I have the choice between the two for my future set up 245/40/19's. I have heard great things about the Continental DWS for snowy conditions and was set to go in that direction.

I can save a few buck per tire and get a Michelin Primacy MXM4 A/S? I haven't seen much on these and couldn't find any comparison tests for the above purposes.

Anyone have any experience with the MXM4's in winter conditions comparable to DWS?

Let me know.. Thanks
Old 08-14-2014, 09:27 PM
ATLcple

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rm,
I have owned both of the tire types you have mentioned. However the mxm4 were not on my G37, they were on a fwd Honda Accord. I liked both brands, but I really thought the Michelin mxm4 were all-season cruising tires, while the Conti's were more performance focused. Maybe I am wrong on that. Either way, I love the ExtremeContact DWS tires on my G37 convertible...smooth, quiet, and no problems when driven hard (or as hard as a convertible drivers goes).
I read online that some owners reviewed the sidewalls as too soft for aggressive cornering, but I have not run into that at all.
Also, the mxm4's began to wear rapidly once they were at their half-life of tread depth.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:33 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I currently have the MXM4 on my wife's G. There is no winter here so I can't say how they perform in cold conditions. They are quiet and get decent treadwear. They are good in the wet. They aren't a performance tire, they're a grand touring tire. I agree wit ATLcple that the sidewall are too soft. They aren't bad tires, but they're not a performance tire. I won't buy them again. I'll switch to the Pilot Sport AS/3.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:36 PM
rm2342

hmm I was reading some reviews where the Conti DWS sidewall was soft.

I am looking for an upgrade from the stock dunlop sp sportmaxx for both winter(horrible) and summer (ok). Sidewall softness is a pet peeve of mine.. I hate that squirrly feeling
Old 08-15-2014, 06:34 AM
jpg37
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I currently own both. I drive the Michelin Primacy in stock configuration during the winters and the DWS staggered 245-40-19 and 275-35-19 on my G7x in the summer. I am happy with both. The DWS are much rougher than the Michelin, but that is due to the size difference,
Old 08-15-2014, 07:00 AM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by rm2342

I am looking for an upgrade from the stock dunlop sp sportmaxx for both winter(horrible) and summer (ok). Sidewall softness is a pet peeve of mine.. I hate that squirrly feeling
Tire Rack even says this. But yes, they do have softer sidewalls and less road feel than other tires out there. Going from the OEM Goodyears to the Contis I lost a significant amount of steering feel and that immediate turn-in feeling. If you don't like this - I wouldn't recommend the Contis. They are great in the Winter in light snow conditions (esp with AWD car) and handle rain excellent, but their dry performance leaves a bit to be desired IMHO.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:26 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam West
Tire Rack even says this. But yes, they do have softer sidewalls and less road feel than other tires out there. Going from the OEM Goodyears to the Contis I lost a significant amount of steering feel and that immediate turn-in feeling. If you don't like this - I wouldn't recommend the Contis. They are great in the Winter in light snow conditions (esp with AWD car) and handle rain excellent, but their dry performance leaves a bit to be desired IMHO.
My Toyo Proxes 4 Plus are opposite of those IME. Very good dry, pretty good wet, and so-so in the snow. For an A/S tire that will see a good amount of freezing weather but not a lot of snow I think they're a good option.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:09 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
I've had the DWS on my previous car, and my gf has the MXM4 A/S on her TSX. They are both good tires, but I wouldn't pay extra for the MXM4 and I feel like the DWS has less road noise, better ride comfort, and is better in the snow. These were both on ~200hp FWD cars so it's a relatively fair comparison. The DWS tires I had were a lower profile (225/40R18) and I still feel they were better in the snow than the MXM4 in the larger 225/50R17 size.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Simba989

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rm2342

Let me start by saying this, I really liked the Conti DWS tires on my last G. Yes, the sidewalls are soft, but the tire also weighs less too. You will get a little of the squirrly feeling you're talking about. I noticed it right away, but I'll tell you something, if you can get over the initial 1 degree of extra roll, the tires are pretty great for all seasons. I have the Michelin tires you're talking about on an accord, I'll second someone else for saying this but they're definitely not comparable to the DWS. If the performance is that important to you, then you will be better off buying Michelin PSS for your summer use and Blizzaks for your winter use. All season tires might as well be no season tires; if you don't want compromise, that's the route you should go.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:36 AM
ToeKnee Sea
Registered Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I currently have the MXM4 on my wife's G. There is no winter here so I can't say how they perform in cold conditions. They are quiet and get decent treadwear. They are good in the wet. They aren't a performance tire, they're a grand touring tire. I agree wit ATLcple that the sidewall are too soft. They aren't bad tires, but they're not a performance tire. I won't buy them again. I'll switch to the Pilot Sport AS/3.
X gets the square.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:09 PM
rm2342

On the forums you see people raving about the DWS tires about how good they are for a well rounded balance. I am up sizing my rims and tires and I live in the northeast which gets hammered with snow and we are soon transitioning seasons. I Currently can't justify dedicated summers which is why I want a good mix of both. The DWS have been said to handle snows very well and Perhaps even upgrade from stock in handling in some reports.

I never trust tire rack as the fitament reviews are never equivalent.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:28 PM
jman09

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
sorry for reviving an older thread, but was hoping a few others could chime in.

i want to replace the noisy dunlop sportmaxx on my g37x coupe base model and am looking at these 2 tires.

my previous car, a 2013 accord coupe v6, had the michelin mxm4 tires and i thought they were pretty good. i pushed the car hard at times and the tires never did not inspire confidence and felt very responsive. my previous car to that, i had a 2007 nissan 350z which i had the stock tires replaced with continental dws. first thing i noticed was the really soft sidewall. the 350z felt floaty and squirrely.

with that being said, is the sidewall on the dws still really soft? are they still stiffer than the sidewall on the mxm4? comfort and noise level are a priority with the new replacement tires, but i definitely do not want that floaty tire feel i had with the 350z and the dws. thanks for any input.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:39 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by jman09
sorry for reviving an older thread, but was hoping a few others could chime in.

i want to replace the noisy dunlop sportmaxx on my g37x coupe base model and am looking at these 2 tires.

my previous car, a 2013 accord coupe v6, had the michelin mxm4 tires and i thought they were pretty good. i pushed the car hard at times and the tires never did not inspire confidence and felt very responsive. my previous car to that, i had a 2007 nissan 350z which i had the stock tires replaced with continental dws. first thing i noticed was the really soft sidewall. the 350z felt floaty and squirrely.

with that being said, is the sidewall on the dws still really soft? are they still stiffer than the sidewall on the mxm4? comfort and noise level are a priority with the new replacement tires, but i definitely do not want that floaty tire feel i had with the 350z and the dws. thanks for any input.
I have the DWS tires on my G right now and love them. I always get DWS tires when I upsize my wheels to counter the smaller sidewall. I have 255/35R20 DWS tires right now and they are the perfect balance of dry/wet/snow performance, ride comfort, and treadwear. I have no issues with the sidewall being too soft.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:29 AM
mickeytl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the conti dws on my Subaru for 4 years and it handle very well...even in the winter.
My brother installed the dws on his 10 Camry se right before winter and he told me it handle a lot better than the Michelin tires.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:17 AM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Two different tires completely. The Michelin is a touring all season tire focused around comfort/ride/quiet not so much sportiness/handling. DWS is more sport bred and will handle better with more response around corners. The DWS is a great Jack of All Trades tire in that they have good all season traction, can take some aggressive driving, decent life etc. It's a popular choice in the G world.

Quick Reply: All season tire choice Michelin Primacy mxm4 or Conti DWS?