All season tire choice Michelin Primacy mxm4 or Conti DWS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:37 AM
wlmmn
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam West
Going from the OEM Goodyears to the Contis I lost a significant amount of steering feel and that immediate turn-in feeling. If you don't like this - I wouldn't recommend the Contis. They are great in the Winter in light snow conditions (esp with AWD car) and handle rain excellent, but their dry performance leaves a bit to be desired IMHO.
Oh wow....good to know. I'll still on my OEM Goodyears and I love the turn-in and steering feeling it has. I don't want to lose a bit of that. Should I just get another set of those Goodyears then? I need traction for the snow out here in Colorado but want the best-handling all-season tire you can get....I've heard it's the Continentals. Guess not?
Old 04-22-2015, 10:48 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by wlmmn
Oh wow....good to know. I'll still on my OEM Goodyears and I love the turn-in and steering feeling it has. I don't want to lose a bit of that. Should I just get another set of those Goodyears then? I need traction for the snow out here in Colorado but want the best-handling all-season tire you can get....I've heard it's the Continentals. Guess not?
No, those Goodyears are best used for tree-swings. Check my reply in your other tire post.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:54 PM
PanzMan
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
If you are not in a hurry to replace the tires the new Conti DWS 06 is starting up next month and later this year. Supposedly the wet and winter traction are still good but they have improved the sidewall and handling. Here is an early review.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:14 PM
wlmmn
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PanzMan
If you are not in a hurry to replace the tires the new Conti DWS 06 is starting up next month and later this year. Supposedly the wet and winter traction are still good but they have improved the sidewall and handling. Here is an early review.
According to Continental on their DWS tires, when the "S" has worn away on the outboard shoulder (which is the letter that wears away first), it's no longer considered suitable for driving on snow. That's not gonna do it for me. It can snow 7 months out of the year out here, and my street is on a pronounced hill and doesn't get plowed very well.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
According to Continental on their DWS tires, when the "S" has worn away on the outboard shoulder (which is the letter that wears away first), it's no longer considered suitable for driving on snow. That's not gonna do it for me. It can snow 7 months out of the year out here, and my street is on a pronounced hill and doesn't get plowed very well.
This is a friendly reminder that Continental provides on their tire that affects all tires, even winter/snow tires. DWS tires are superior to most all season tires and every make/model/brand of tire's winter/snow performance will degrade as tread wears.

Per Tire Rack's website, speaking in regard to Blizzak winter/snow tires:

"A major point that is often overlooked is that any winter / snow tire, regardless of compound, loses much of its effectiveness when the tread is too shallow. It's not recommended to go through a winter with snow tires of any brand that start the season with less than 6/32" of remaining tread depth." - See more at: Three Winter / Snow Tire Myths - Ben's Blog | Tire Rack
Old 04-23-2015, 01:57 PM
wlmmn
Registered Member

^ That makes sense. I just figured the "S" would wear off really fast, and then I'd be S.O.L in the winter in 1 or 2 years. If the "S" only wears off when the tread is way down anyways, then I might consider it.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:41 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

^ That makes sense. I just figured the "S" would wear off really fast, and then I'd be S.O.L in the winter in 1 or 2 years. If the "S" only wears off when the tread is way down anyways, then I might consider it.
The DWS tires wear very well in my experience. I have about 5,000 or so miles on my current DWS tires and they don't show any signs of wear.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:05 PM
wlmmn
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ryne
The DWS tires wear very well in my experience. I have about 5,000 or so miles on my current DWS tires and they don't show any signs of wear.
Nice to know. The Infiniti dealer recommended the Continental Purecontact BW. Would you say the DWS tires are better?
Old 04-24-2015, 05:04 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Nice to know. The Infiniti dealer recommended the Continental Purecontact BW. Would you say the DWS tires are better?
It's funny you ask that. My GF's Acura TSX needed new tires and nowhere had the DWS in her size so we went with the PureContact. It's a nice tire but I think that the DWS is a little sportier. Both are nice tires though.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:22 PM
wlmmn
Registered Member

Thanks man. I have some time to consider, but either way if they're better than the OEM Goodyear RS-A tires I have on now than that's awesome, 'cause as is I like how the car handles; can't wait to see how it feels with nicer tires.