NEED ADVICE! TPMS -- Recently got new wheels/tires...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Bournano

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation NEED ADVICE! TPMS -- Recently got new wheels/tires...

So I recently got new wheels/tires. I had them installed at NTB. They didn't install the TPMS on them. I brought my 17" (stock Infiniti) tires/wheels back to my house already and have them stores. Turns out they probably still have the monitors in them (or on them?). Anyways, I called them saying I need the monitors on my tires/wheels. They said they don't know if the stock ones will work on my new 18s (GP5 ENKEI - Silver Machined) -- they said sometimes they come on the side or in the stem and they don't know if it'll work.

I told them I would be in for the torque test on Sunday. I don't want to be taken advantage of. Is this normal? Or did they screw me? Does it come standard w/ tire installation to have the monitors moved too? I bet they charge me a huge maintenance fee... Should I be upset if so? Thanks!
Old 05-23-2014, 09:51 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Bournano
So I recently got new wheels/tires. I had them installed at NTB. They didn't install the TPMS on them. I brought my 17" (stock Infiniti) tires/wheels back to my house already and have them stores. Turns out they probably still have the monitors in them (or on them?). Anyways, I called them saying I need the monitors on my tires/wheels. They said they don't know if the stock ones will work on my new 18s (GP5 ENKEI - Silver Machined) -- they said sometimes they come on the side or in the stem and they don't know if it'll work.

I told them I would be in for the torque test on Sunday. I don't want to be taken advantage of. Is this normal? Or did they screw me? Does it come standard w/ tire installation to have the monitors moved too? I bet they charge me a huge maintenance fee... Should I be upset if so? Thanks!
The OEM wheels are made by Enkei so your new wheels should be compatible. Take a look at how your stem mounts on your stock wheels and compare them to your new wheels, I'm betting they're very similar in placement on the wheel. Expect to be charged for the dismount of your 17" tires and then having to dismount your 18s, insert the TPMS units then remount the tires. Not sure what a reasonable charge is but might call a couple shops just so you know a ballpark figure. I'm thinking something like $75 would be about right since you're dealing w/ 2 full sets of tires that need to be handled.
The following users liked this post:
Bournano (05-23-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 11:05 PM
Bournano

Originally Posted by blnewt
The OEM wheels are made by Enkei so your new wheels should be compatible. Take a look at how your stem mounts on your stock wheels and compare them to your new wheels, I'm betting they're very similar in placement on the wheel. Expect to be charged for the dismount of your 17" tires and then having to dismount your 18s, insert the TPMS units then remount the tires. Not sure what a reasonable charge is but might call a couple shops just so you know a ballpark figure. I'm thinking something like $75 would be about right since you're dealing w/ 2 full sets of tires that need to be handled.
That's reasonable. I can deal with that. I like to think the guys at NTB are good to me (they seem friendly). I just figured they would have transferred the sensors (honestly, I thought the sensors were attached to the car and gauged the tires from there).

I'm thinking of getting Infiniti center caps. So if I do, I sure definitely get them before all the mounting.

Thanks, Brad!
Old 05-23-2014, 11:21 PM
Bournano

Do you think I'll have to bring in the entire tires (17s) to get the sensors off? I'll go check them out now. Would be a huge relief if I could just take them off at my house w/out having to move the entire set of them to the tire shop.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:59 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Do you think I'll have to bring in the entire tires (17s) to get the sensors off? I'll go check them out now. Would be a huge relief if I could just take them off at my house w/out having to move the entire set of them to the tire shop.
The sensors are mounted inside the rim, so yes, the tires have to be removed from the rim, sensors removed, then installed inside your new rims. It's quite a PITA but no easy way around it
Maybe get a friend to haul them to the shop in a truck perhaps?
Old 05-24-2014, 12:40 AM
Bournano

Originally Posted by blnewt
The sensors are mounted inside the rim, so yes, the tires have to be removed from the rim, sensors removed, then installed inside your new rims. It's quite a PITA but no easy way around it
Maybe get a friend to haul them to the shop in a truck perhaps?
No worries. Brother drives a Honda Pilot, so I should be okay. It's just a burden, but I'm glad it'll get that annoying TPMS light off.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:25 AM
chris_s

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
get that annoying TPMS light off.

NEED ADVICE! TPMS -- Recently got new wheels/tires...-zysogvp.jpg

That's the trick I use I did cut the tape nice & square though.

Last edited by blnewt; 05-26-2014 at 12:45 PM.