Help Twin_Snails select some wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 03:50 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Twin_Snails select some wheels

I wanted to see what you guys think of my current selections regarding wheels. I'm currently on the stock duck feet and was running TSW Nurburgring's in 19x8.5 and 19x9.5. I love the TSW's but I've been toying with (getting the itch for) a set of 20's. Some of the wheels I will list here are not available in 20" size (the Forgestar CF5V and the Miro 111), but I've included them here because I really like the designs.

I realize that these wheels are VERY similar in design to each other, but as Newt says, "It's the obsession with the subtle details that separates the nice cars from the very nice cars."

Car details: 2010 Sedan sport package in Platinum Graphite. I'm pretty set on the wheel color of Hyper Silver. I know- I'm an old school guy and I love the HS because IMHO, I think the color is timeless and not a fad. Example: I haven't been a fan of the black wheels with a machined silver face.

Feel free to comment and post opinions. I value yall's opinions and enjoy seeing other perspectives besides my own.

The Axe CS Lite - I think this wheel is my favorite so far. This wheel is very similar to the Miro 111. I like it because the spokes split spokes are very even (the don't pinch closer together toward the outer rim of the wheel).

The Miro 111 - Posting this as it's very similar to the CS Lite and for ease of comparison. For the longest time, Miro did not make this wheel in 5x114.3 bolt pattern but it seems they do now. Also of concern is that I hear that these wheels are heavy. My TSW's are around 21 - 22 pounds FR/RR and these are ≈ 25.

The Ace Convex - These are nice looking and different. I'm a big fan of the convex design. Referenced on an Audi. Ignore the gold wheel on the left on the second picture.

The Avant Garde M580 - This wheel is new and I like the character of the wheel, namely the sculpting near the lug holes.

The Avant Garde M310 - This wheel is ok. I like it but sometimes the spokes pinching closer together near the edge of the wheel annoys me design wise.

The Avant Garde M590 - I like this wheel and my only minor nit here is the hard edge transition between the face of the spokes and the recessed circle by the lug holes. Mounted on a vehicle, it looks good and the recessed circle doesn't bother me as much.

The Avant Garde Ruger Mesh - I like this wheel too but where the spokes transition to the edge of the wheel could be a little cleaner IMHO. Mounted on an IS-F in the second pic.

The Forgestar CF5V - I really like this wheel as well. It's got nice clean lines and a convex design. It's only available in 19" but that's not a deal breaker to me and another plus is that they're VERY light at 19.8 lbs for the 19x8.5 wheel.

Last edited by twin_snails; 05-25-2014 at 04:30 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,646 Likes on 3,476 Posts
Are you looking for monoblock only? (Because cost) Otherwise you're going to get all kind of "forged wheels" suggestions and advice.

There are two other similarities I'm seeing here:

1. all these cast rims have spokes that extend over the lip, rather than under. Is that a preference?
2. none of these rims have a deep inner-lip design. Is that also a preference?

The ones you've posted so far are all very attractive, some more or less than others. Here's another consideration: you're going to have to routinely clean these rims, and picking a design that facilitates easier cleaning might be more agreeable than otherwise. Of the wheels you listed so far, I like the Forgestar CF5V and the ACE Convex, and for the reasons you probably do. They're somewhat elegant in their simplicity, without being too blah.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 05:20 PM
cecrops

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
On looks alone the Avant Garde Ruger Mesh is my favorite then Avant Garde M580 a close second, although I am a huge fan of lite weight wheels so on that the Forgestar CF5V wins.
twin_snails (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 05:55 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Rochester, yes, I'm looking to stay on a mono block wheel-- primarily because of cost and flashiness. I've seen some nice forged designs that I like, but I can't justify spending 4-6k on wheels alone. In addition, having wheels like that makes them a target for theft. I suppose my wheel choices are an extension of my personality as I do not like being the center of attention with ostentatious behavior. IMHO, I like wheel designs that look like they could be factory, yet are still unique without being flashy. To some, my choices might be boring but that's ok too.

1) On the spokes, I think it unintentionally became a preference, just by what my eye gravitates toward.

2) Generally, I'm not a fan of the real deep inner lip design, although I appreciate their design.

I've thought about cleaning too. My TSW's weren't the easiest to clean but I have learned to live with it.

I haven't found any sedans sporting the CF5V but I did find this pic of an 1st gen G35 sedan. I didn't really like the gold but think they look nice. I think we're on the same page on the Ace Convex. Nice without being over the top. I'm really digging the Axe CS Lite too.

Name:  WP_20130829_004_zpsd0de3070.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  95.2 KB

Thanks for taking the time to share your insights
Old 05-16-2014, 06:20 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Originally Posted by cecrops
On looks alone the Avant Garde Ruger Mesh is my favorite then Avant Garde M580 a close second, although I am a huge fan of lite weight wheels so on that the Forgestar CF5V wins.
Appreciate your comments I'm liking the CF5V on the basis of design but that light weight might cinch the deal for me.

In some cases, I see wheels that I like but they leave me with a little bit of a meh feeling but then I see them on a car and think they look fantastic. That's kind of where I'm at with the Ruger Mesh but they look amazing on that IS-F.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
GramLight FXX

https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheel-a...todesigns.html
twin_snails (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I like the Ace Convex for similar reasons to why I like my VOSSEN CVT's... It's a design that could be OEM at a casual glance, particularly for the uninitiated. But there are nuances to appreciate in the design once you look closer.

Give Niche Wheels a look.
twin_snails (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 06:40 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
These. Look fantastic! Thank you sir!
Old 05-16-2014, 06:42 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

John, the Convex reminded me of your Vossen CVT's, which I really like on your car. The drop and addition of the spacers has your car sitting perfect.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by twin_snails
John, the Convex reminded me of your Vossen CVT's, which I really like on your car. The drop and addition of the spacers has your car sitting perfect.
No, not perfect. But good enough that I'm happy. Thank you.

And the only spacers are 3mm in the fronts, which I've not taken any pics of yet, so...

Still, thanks. Looking forward to seeing what comes here. It can be a fun process. Frustrating, too.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:54 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Ace Convex FTW. John showed me these when we were all in PA and I did like them a lot. The Ace wheels would be my vote
twin_snails (05-24-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 10:10 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Those Gramlights are very
I really like these SSRs although only available in 19s

These are a nice look and price is real good

Also in 19s but only 21 lbs

These are lightweight at about 23 lbs, but again, 19s

These may be out of your budget but THESE are truly amazing rims
https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...rzdf-rims.html
Old 05-16-2014, 10:21 PM
cecrops

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Damn. I really like the Advanti and König! Those are some really slick looking wheels AND light weight. Might have to change my vote on this one.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Those first ones are neat, like Sentra SE-R wheels on crack. The second one looks like a common, and unremarkable design. But still clean. I really like that Niche wheel, Newt. That deep lip is really strange, segmented within the spokes. Never seen anything like that. Don't like the Advanti or the Konig... they look too spider-y, to spindly.

Nice pics, BTW.

[edit] Hahaha, I just dumped on the wheels cecrops voted up. Sorry man.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:49 PM
AlphaPie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgestar CF5V or AG M580

Quick Reply: Help Twin_Snails select some wheels