Vibrations and clicking sound from tire rotations

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 02:14 PM
JosiahCombs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibrations and clicking sound from tire rotations

So I searched around and talked to a body shop about this, I have a 08 g37s 80k miles lowered on swift for about 6 months. My driver side wheel makes a clicking sound based on tire rotations (fast clicking while going fast, slow when going slow). Its not a high pitched click like plastic being hit its alot more deep sounding. Also I have constant vibrations at all speeds, esp when braking. Along with a slight pull to the right.

The assumption was I hit a pothole on the freeway and knocked the wheel out of balance which seems probable. My question is how safe is the car to drive? specifically if I were to drive home (~2hours).

I have checked lug nuts, tire pressure, pulled on the wheel to see if its loose, and looked around for any plastic hitting or any cause for the clicking. Nothing I can see externally.

Thank you for any help
Old 03-21-2014, 05:27 PM
Varjo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I am absolutely NOT an expert but I'd be a little worried. Sounds like it could be a bearing issue.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Redshift41

Is your car awd? If so, I would check the cv joint on that side. Otherwise, it sounds like a wheel bearing. Take it to a shop that does front end work and have them check it out. The clicking is not caused by a wheel out of balance.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:59 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Is there a stone stuck in the tire maybe?
Old 03-22-2014, 11:29 PM
Omarg35

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
vibrations can be caused by a number of things but first thing I'd check is the tire balance, which is the most common culprit of vibrations. If you hit a pot hole hard enough, theres a 90% chance you have a bend in one of your wheels (which is not always view able from the naked eye) and that is causing vibrations.
Also I would check the inner sidewall for any damage, idk if its likely, but its possible the tire could have inner damage. Ideally, a tire shop would be able to remove your wheels from the tires and inspect them for any damage for a small fee, usually not more than like $40.

As for vibrations while braking, chances are its tied in to what I just stated, but it is not impossible that your rotors are also worn which is the first sign of vibration, usually in the steering wheel.

Not sure what the clicking can be, but just for common knowledge, the g35 had a common axle click issue and with mine I could almost always hear it going under 40mph. Didnt affect anything, just a annoyance. Im sure it was already address in the g37, but just a thought.

hope this helps
good luck !
Old 03-23-2014, 02:22 PM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
I've been having a clicking noise in the back rear wheel area after I changed my rotors. I thought it had something to do with them so when I took it to the dealership they told me it was the rear axle making the clicking noise and it had to be re-greased. I don't believe that at all.. I'm thinking it's my parking brake or the rotors aren't in line properly..

As for your case, I have no idea. All I can think of is brake lines but even those are rubber so no clicking should be heard..Bearing?
Old 03-23-2014, 05:06 PM
JosiahCombs

Originally Posted by monytx
I've been having a clicking noise in the back rear wheel area after I changed my rotors. I thought it had something to do with them so when I took it to the dealership they told me it was the rear axle making the clicking noise and it had to be re-greased. I don't believe that at all.. I'm thinking it's my parking brake or the rotors aren't in line properly..

As for your case, I have no idea. All I can think of is brake lines but even those are rubber so no clicking should be heard..Bearing?
bingo, it was the wheel bearing.