RD Sport/Radius S4 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 07:08 PM
Mattimus
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
RD Sport/Radius S4 wheels

So my boss is asking me to sell these wheels that he has in his garage. They are from a company called Radius, but have some affiliation to RD Sport because one of the four wheels has an RD logo on it and they are all identical. All other markings on the backside are also identical. They are true three piece wheels but two of the inner barrels are damaged. One has a crack and the other appears to have had a crack that was welded poorly and leaks air. I was thinking about changing the barrels and slapping them on my coupe. Granted I could make my own offset/lip combo if needed. The only problem is that they are in a Porsche pattern. I've found a few reputable companies that can do a fill and drill for a reasonable price. Question is, could these be worth the hassle? I'm not worried about the redrilling, as I've run both redrills and steel inserts before without issues. I just can't seem to find any prices for these things online, so I didn't want to drop a bunch of coin for cheap wheels. They are different and I like the style and would be a good change from my CV7's (no offense to the Vossen guys).

If it matters, I can buy them from my boss for next to nothing. Just getting opinions. Worst case scenario they go on craigslist.

Thanks,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails RD Sport/Radius S4 wheels-wheels.jpg  
Old 02-01-2014, 12:04 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattimus
So my boss is asking me to sell these wheels that he has in his garage. They are from a company called Radius, but have some affiliation to RD Sport because one of the four wheels has an RD logo on it and they are all identical. All other markings on the backside are also identical. They are true three piece wheels but two of the inner barrels are damaged. One has a crack and the other appears to have had a crack that was welded poorly and leaks air. I was thinking about changing the barrels and slapping them on my coupe. Granted I could make my own offset/lip combo if needed. The only problem is that they are in a Porsche pattern. I've found a few reputable companies that can do a fill and drill for a reasonable price. Question is, could these be worth the hassle? I'm not worried about the redrilling, as I've run both redrills and steel inserts before without issues. I just can't seem to find any prices for these things online, so I didn't want to drop a bunch of coin for cheap wheels. They are different and I like the style and would be a good change from my CV7's (no offense to the Vossen guys).

If it matters, I can buy them from my boss for next to nothing. Just getting opinions. Worst case scenario they go on craigslist.

Thanks,
Matt
Those are nice looking, have you checked any Porsche forums for these wheels? Seems like quite a bit of labor getting them set up for your G but would be worthwhile buying them for a song and flipping them to a Porsche/Audi owner since the labor for them would be minimal by comparison.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Mattimus
Registered Member

Thanks for the input. I just got a little excited after seeing them up next to my car. I don't think I've seen a G with these before. That and cheap 3 piece wheels are hard to pass up.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Mattimus
Registered Member

So I decided that I was going to keep these wheels and try to flip them, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of serious interest in wheels that need some loving, so I am going to put them on my car with adapters. Even with good adapters on, the stock offset on these keeps things pretty mild in the end. So I'll be tearing these down and repainting the centers (chips and scratches). I like silver, but would be interested in hearing of any other colors that might look good on Ivory Pearl. I'm painting these myself so cost is not an issue. I can do candy, pearls, metallic, flakes, etc. No real limit. I was leaning towards a darker silver/gunmetal, but also was considering a copper/bronze color. Any ideas?

And yes, a drop is planned. I'll be going air soon after I paint a few more helmets.

Name:  20140201_110754_zps30eff64b.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  49.0 KB
Name:  20140201_110740_zps221e4263.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  41.9 KB
Old 02-18-2014, 03:07 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Must say those are going to look tasty on that G. Might want to keep them silver, those barrel bolts pop a bit more w/ the silver. If not silver the Gunmetal complements a white G pretty well depending on what you do w/ some trim pieces.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Mattimus
Registered Member

Well I decided to keep these wheels and refinish them myself. I went ahead and powder coated the aluminum centers and polished the outer lips/bolts. I bought new inner barrels and sprayed all four a metallic silver with a blue ghost pearl (no real reason for this, I just like ghost pearls). I have some adapters on their way. Aside from a bit of sweat equity, I don't have a whole lot of $$$ into these. That makes it worthwhile in the end. I should be ordering some fat tires in a week or so. No stretch this time around. Next month I'll be giving my car a complete overhaul (coils, non-emblem grille, hid fogs, exhaust, full detail, etc.) and will slap them on at that time. I still need to get the correct RD Sport caps, but I have some time. It'll be nice to have something a little different on my car.

I hope you guys like.

Potato pics:
Name:  20140708_170901_zpshnktlrpz.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  142.7 KB
Name:  20140601_162404_zps4bh178gz.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  100.7 KB

Last edited by Mattimus; 07-10-2014 at 12:28 PM. Reason: words and such
The following users liked this post:
rza2042 (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 02:01 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Damn, now that's some time well spent. Those wheels are drop dead gorgeous!
Looking forward to some more pics w/ the rest of your upgrades. Might want to start a build thread or at least take lots of pics & details so when the time comes a build thread would be epic
Hats off for a superb refinish job.
The following users liked this post:
Mattimus (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 07:57 PM
GetYourWheels
Former Sponsor

Received 104 Likes on 95 Posts
Wow, awesome OG wheels! I remember those from back in the days on a bunch of M3s.

Cant wait to see them installed on your G!
Old 07-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Mattimus
Registered Member

Originally Posted by GetYourWheels
Wow, awesome OG wheels! I remember those from back in the days on a bunch of M3s.
Thank you. It was actually this pic of a BMW that made me decide to keep them and update them. I didn't want to bite his color scheme, but choices are limited for white cars in order to keep it subtle. I'm still debating on getting deeper lips for the rear. We shall see after a dry fit next week.

Name:  IMG955902_zps9b2ce7cd.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  34.0 KB
Old 09-24-2014, 10:19 PM
Brianh35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love those wheels. I picked up a set for a 3 series bmw I had a few year ago. I transferred them over to a 94 z28. They were a little euro for American muscle but I still liked them. They should look great on your G. Did you ever get them on and do you have any pics to post. I have the stock 18's currently but I'm looking. Thanks