The Official "Find Rochester Some Wheels" Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 08:54 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Yes, yes. It's a party. LOL

Figure to buy them mid-month (February). Although they won't go on the car until sometime in March, because Winter. Figure they'll sit in a beautiful big pile in the corner of the Family Room. The wife will love that.

In other news, Tony from Fast Intentions wrote me yesterday to say the RHFC that I ordered will be built this week, and ship before week's end. Those will be sitting in the corner of my office until March as well.

Winter really sucks.
Come spring you will have a totally different car! That's gonna be a banner day when all of those pretty mods are installed.
My rims sat in the garage while I waited to get the monies up for the suspension and new tires also. It was like a thorn in my side each day seeing those nicely printed Vossen boxes sitting on the floor.... Then the install and the waiting was well worth it.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:21 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas
Come spring you will have a totally different car! That's gonna be a banner day when all of those pretty mods are installed.
My rims sat in the garage while I waited to get the monies up for the suspension and new tires also. It was like a thorn in my side each day seeing those nicely printed Vossen boxes sitting on the floor.... Then the install and the waiting was well worth it.
If I buy the tires through the same retailer, might as well have them shipped already mounted on the rims and balanced. Should be four pretty big boxes.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:42 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

So what's the verdict on the TPMS sensors? Will OEM work or do you need a different setup? If the stock sensors work then you would need the sensors installed before mounting the tires right? But if they hook you up with everything to make it turn key for you, then hell yes those will be some large boxes.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:54 PM
Rochester
Administrator

So what's the verdict on the TPMS sensors? Will OEM work or do you need a different setup? If the stock sensors work then you would need the sensors installed before mounting the tires right? But if they hook you up with everything to make it turn key for you, then hell yes those will be some large boxes.
I'll be leaving the sensors in my duckfeet, along with the snow tires... For next winter. Buying four new OEM sensors, but with two valve stem adapters for the front wheels. Either the vendor puts it all together, or I buy things independently.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:56 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Cool beans. Whats the deal with the front rims and the TPMS sensors? Are the rims construction to shallow for the stock sensors?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:02 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I can't speak for him, but I suspect that was part of Newt's planning.
Well if this thread helped folks w/ other wheel options so much the better.
Happy that you're going to get what you wanted all along John, I'm sure that would make Mom happy
Old 01-27-2014, 10:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Cool beans. Whats the deal with the front rims and the TPMS sensors? Are the rims construction to shallow for the stock sensors?
The valve stem is positioned far back on the rim... Go look at it. Apparently that places the stem too close to the big Akebono 4-piston calliper.

Going to be interesting cleaning these rims. I suspect I'm going to wiping down the deep inner lip on them.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:58 AM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
I found the EZ detail brush to come in handy. Imagine what I have to go through with these.

My favorite wheel cleaner is Eagle one all wheel tire cleaner and sonax full effect
Old 01-28-2014, 10:07 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
cleaning them should be

I use also use eagle one wheel cleaner, But I also have a separate bucket and microfiber cloth just for the my wheels. :/
Old 01-28-2014, 10:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

5 or 7 spoke rims would certainly make it easier to clean that deep inner lip. I'm not going to lie, the traditionally short lip on the OEM Duckfeet means that I can pretty much ignore the area behind the spokes. But I don't think I can do that with these Vossens.

As for cleaning product... if you keep your wheels waxed twice a year (or more), then all you need is soap and water. I haven't used wheel cleaner on any rims for any car in over a decade. Just don't need to.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:36 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
I found that the OEM Sport Wheels (I like "Spiderman" vs. Duck feet) are some of the easiest wheels to clean. And surprisingly enough, the brakes spew very little dust compared to the first Gen G. I disliked these wheels originally, but they have grown on me over the past few months.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:12 AM
WhiteKnight23

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well if he wants to stay in the 18"-19" and close to OEM weight. Why dont you look into either the Coupe sport wheels or IPL wheels. Personally, i have IPL wheels on my moonlight white sedan and its a perfect fit and looks so f****** good. No need to drop the car. Im on stock suspension and it looks well balanced all around. And of course, it will clear the BBK. Plus, its OEM. You cant go wrong with that.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:15 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight23
Well if he wants to stay in the 18"-19" and close to OEM weight. Why dont you look into either the Coupe sport wheels or IPL wheels. Personally, i have IPL wheels on my moonlight white sedan and its a perfect fit and looks so f****** good. No need to drop the car. Im on stock suspension and it looks well balanced all around. And of course, it will clear the BBK. Plus, its OEM. You cant go wrong with that.
Feel free to post a pic, because there's lots of good info and pictures of wheels in this thread. However, I've already come to a decision on the 19" Vossen CVT, now that Vossen has confirmed fitment in the front with a TPMS adapter. At this point, all I need to do is finalize the purchase details and gather the funds.... which makes it all sound so easy, LOL.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-29-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:38 AM
samuel1021
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
A close friend of mine has the Forgestar F14s on his Z34, and they look great. That's definitely a great option, Rochester. But you definitely can't go wrong with the coupe 19s or RPF1s. Have you considered TE37s? Definitely pricey, but such a great looking wheel.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Got two nearly identical quotes from Need4Speed Motorsports, and GetYourWheels.com. Since I started this with N4S, that's who I'm going with. Plus, they didn't hide their shipping costs, whereas GYW claimed free shipping, yet somehow spread that expense elsewhere... to the tires, I believe. So, N4S gets my business.

The only remaining issue is waiting on the funds, which should be here in the next couple weeks. And the only remaining question is: can I use my OEM lug nuts, or do I need a set? Anybody know that answer?