Winter tires - 2012 G37xS

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Selcouthist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi MyG37

My G37xS has the OEM 19" wheels. Tirerack.com says that I have 225/45r19 sizes installed as OEM.

The 225 specification gives me very little tire choices on tirerack.com, plus the OEM wheels look too narrow anyway. I have two main questions.

1. What other tires size choices do I have on OEM Enkei rims?

2. Also, Any particular winter tire recommendations?

Thank you in advance for your input. I am clueless about tire sizes, particularly on my car, although I am not sure if my car comes with a factory staggered setup. I doubt it does. Any clarifications would be awesome.

EDIT : mods, I didn't realize that there is a tech section to post questions regarding car equipment and parts, so if you find it necessary, please remove this thread.

Last edited by Selcouthist; 12-22-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:34 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Selcouthist
Hi MyG37

My G37xS has the OEM 19" wheels. Tirerack.com says that I have 225/45r19 sizes installed as OEM.

The 225 specification gives me very little tire choices on tirerack.com, plus the OEM wheels look too narrow anyway. I have two main questions.

1. What other tires size choices do I have on OEM Enkei rims?

2. Also, Any particular winter tire recommendations?

Thank you in advance for your input. I am clueless about tire sizes, particularly on my car, although I am not sure if my car comes with a factory staggered setup. I doubt it does. Any clarifications would be awesome.
Not sure if the XS Coupe runs staggered but I doubt it from the factory, I believe only the RWDs run oem staggered setups.
Use this calculator whenever you want to check new wheel & tire sizes
https://www.myg37.com/forums/tire_rim_calculator.php
With AWDs diameter is very critical, usually RWDs can get by w/ 3% variance but there's been issues w/ AWDs when the variance exceeds 1% at speeds over 80mph, that said, your OEM wheels should be 8.5" wide and can run up to a 255 width tire. Narrow tires are better in snow but other than that the 255/40/19 would be a compatible tire regarding diameter. 245/40/19 are a bit worse w/ diameter but still <1%, those are the only 2 sizes that would work other than oem.
BTW, welcome to the site!
The following users liked this post:
gyukang2 (12-23-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Darth Kinetic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Michelin Sport A/S 3 hold alot of weight around this site.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:55 PM
Selcouthist

Originally Posted by blnewt
Not sure if the XS Coupe runs staggered but I doubt it from the factory, I believe only the RWDs run oem staggered setups.
Use this calculator whenever you want to check new wheel & tire sizes
https://www.myg37.com/forums/tire_rim_calculator.php
With AWDs diameter is very critical, usually RWDs can get by w/ 3% variance but there's been issues w/ AWDs when the variance exceeds 1% at speeds over 80mph, that said, your OEM wheels should be 8.5" wide and can run up to a 255 width tire. Narrow tires are better in snow but other than that the 255/40/19 would be a compatible tire regarding diameter. 245/40/19 are a bit worse w/ diameter but still <1%, those are the only 2 sizes that would work other than oem.
BTW, welcome to the site!
Hi, and thank you for the response. This forum has a wealth of information about my awesome new car and honestly I have found more help here than I could have imagined. The search feature is very useful.

My rudimentary understanding is that a staggered setup would have wider tires in the rear. I dont think I have a staggered setup which makes my life easier, so does not having staggered setup means I have the same offsets and other specifications for all four tires?

So, that is some good information, and you have a sound point that narrow tires are indeed better in snow. So, if I go with the 255/40r19 tires instead of the factory specified 225/45r19, does the tire installer have to fiddle with calibrating with the offsets as well?

The reason I am considering the 255/40r19 setup is because I can get Xi3 Michelin in that size from Costco, however, if you have any winter tire recommendations in the OEM 225/45r19 specs I'd welcome that as well.

Sincerely apologize if my questions seem too uninformed, however I appreciate all the help I am getting from myg37. Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Selcouthist

Originally Posted by Darth Kinetic
Michelin Sport A/S 3 hold alot of weight around this site.
Hi Darth, thanks for the response. So the Michelin Sport A/S 3 is a great tire, no doubt but I drive in snowy and wet weather quite a bit and so a dedicated snow tire set would be a better choice. The Sport A/S 3 doesn't seem to do well in snow and ice.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:58 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Hi, and thank you for the response. This forum has a wealth of information about my awesome new car and honestly I have found more help here than I could have imagined. The search feature is very useful.

My rudimentary understanding is that a staggered setup would have wider tires in the rear. I dont think I have a staggered setup which makes my life easier, so does not having staggered setup means I have the same offsets and other specifications for all four tires?

So, that is some good information, and you have a sound point that narrow tires are indeed better in snow. So, if I go with the 255/40r19 tires instead of the factory specified 225/45r19, does the tire installer have to fiddle with calibrating with the offsets as well?

The reason I am considering the 255/40r19 setup is because I can get Xi3 Michelin in that size from Costco, however, if you have any winter tire recommendations in the OEM 225/45r19 specs I'd welcome that as well.

Sincerely apologize if my questions seem too uninformed, however I appreciate all the help I am getting from myg37. Thanks again.
Here's a list of 225/45/19s from Tirerack, should be able to find same sizes in Canada from most of these brands. The Bridgestone Blizzaks always get high marks for snow, and I wouldn't go w/ the 245 or 255s for a snow specific tire, stick w/ the 225s. Offsets are built into the wheel, these are to push the wheel out or into the hub so nothing you can do about that although spacers are available to move your wheel further from the hub. Many do this to get a more flush look. When ordering new wheels many are available w/ choices in offsets so keep that in mind if you plan on new wheels down the road. If so post over in the wheel section for the most response. Here's the listings for your OEM size~
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ting=S&tab=All

Last edited by blnewt; 12-22-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:50 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Can you get 18" wheels and downsize? There are a LOT more options when you go down to an 18" wheel.

Find some sedan 18s (non staggered) that will fit over your brakes and get some Xi3s for it. Wide tires SUCK in the snow so keep it narrow as possible.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:37 PM
daonlyillwiz

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I just got a set of 18" sport sedan non staggered wheels, i installed my snow tires this past saturday. Bridgestone Blizzak LM25 tire size 225-45-18. As stated above the smaller/narrower the better. Hence why i went with 225 instead of 235.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:31 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz
I just got a set of 18" sport sedan non staggered wheels, i installed my snow tires this past saturday. Bridgestone Blizzak LM25 tire size 225-45-18. As stated above the smaller/narrower the better. Hence why i went with 225 instead of 235.
That's one of the best options if you can find the wheels, then you don't have to be remounting tires and worry about getting your summer rims dinged up in the crud.
The following users liked this post:
WannabeSport (12-24-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 03:12 PM
daonlyillwiz

Originally Posted by blnewt
That's one of the best options if you can find the wheels, then you don't have to be remounting tires and worry about getting your summer rims dinged up in the crud.
Exactly, ive got a set of 19" coupe non stag rims that ill be putting on for summer
Old 12-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Selcouthist

Exactly, ive got a set of 19" coupe non stag rims that ill be putting on for summer
Thank you for the awesome suggestion. Honestly I love the Xi3 tires and want my car to be able to grapple deep snow as well as ice.

So, like you, I am going to acquire a set of sport sedan 18" rims and then put on a set of nice 225/45/r18 Xi3s on them and use these as my winter wheels.

I have a couple of questions, do you have an AWD coupe? And do you mind sharing how much you paid for these wheels and where you got them? I have been searching eBay but seem to be only getting 19" wheels for G37 sedans.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:02 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Thank you for the awesome suggestion. Honestly I love the Xi3 tires and want my car to be able to grapple deep snow as well as ice.

So, like you, I am going to acquire a set of sport sedan 18" rims and then put on a set of nice 225/45/r18 Xi3s on them and use these as my winter wheels.

I have a couple of questions, do you have an AWD coupe? And do you mind sharing how much you paid for these wheels and where you got them? I have been searching eBay but seem to be only getting 19" wheels for G37 sedans.
The marketplace on the site is one of the best sources
Private Classifieds - MyG37
Keep in mind most sedan sets will be staggered, it's not a big stagger, I think it's a 7.5 & 8.5" rim so you should be able to run 225s on both rims but not sure how the wider back rim would affect the rear diameter since it will be slightly stretched. It would be awesopme if you could find 4 of the same size for winter though.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:03 PM
daonlyillwiz

I have an AWD Sedan (not much different really) I paid $540 for all 4 and they came with decent OEM Michelin tires. As far as the condition goes, they were all pretty good except 1 rim had a 1" section with some curb rash but i dont care because they are only for winter heh. Look on Craigslist, thats where i found mine. Keep in mind you will also need to scoop up a sport model spare if you decide to go with 19" rims in the future.

Oh and blnewt, i got SUPER LUCKY with my set because the guy i bought them from had an AWD S sedan so it worked out perfectly heh.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Selcouthist

I have an AWD Sedan (not much different really) I paid $540 for all 4 and they came with decent OEM Michelin tires. As far as the condition goes, they were all pretty good except 1 rim had a 1" section with some curb rash but i dont care because they are only for winter heh. Look on Craigslist, thats where i found mine.

Oh and blnewt, i got SUPER LUCKY with my set because the guy i bought them from had an AWD S sedan so it worked out perfectly heh.
Thanks blnewt and daonlyillwiz, now I know exactly what yo target.

Daonlylilwiz, you got lucky that you got a non staggered set. Is it because you got it from an AWD S sedan? If that is the case then I am also going to find an AWD S sedan set. Furthermore, I found this set of rims on tirerack. I might just order these as winter rims, seems like they are inexpensive and will work in lieu of getting a non staggered set of OEM rims.

What do you guys think?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Price

(Posting from mobile, sorry couldn't format the link)
Old 12-23-2013, 09:39 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Those Enkeis are a good choice, not a bad price and will clear the Big brakes.

Quick Reply: Winter tires - 2012 G37xS