Help: New Tire Choices

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 06:53 AM
ronaldvalente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help: New Tire Choices

I have a 2012 G37s with 17k miles on it.
It is time for new tires, I wanted something that will last a little longer than the stock tires that came the G (Potenzas).

I was looking at Michelin Pilot Sport All Season, or Micheline Pilot Super Sport.

Any thoughts, recommendations?

Also, would it be smartest to stick with the OEM sizes or should I make some small adjustments there as well? Looking for some people who have been through a few tires on their G for some recommendations.

I would like to make a decision this week. The dealer wants to charge between a rip-off and highway robbery, so that is annoying... don't have a shop I really trust my G with yet...

Thanks in advance!

-Ron
Old 12-05-2013, 07:34 AM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
I am very much in the same situation - except 15k miles. The rears are toast...

I am also looking at the 2 tires: A/S 3 and Pilot SS.

It really depends upon what you are looking for. It just so happens that the latest Motor Trend has a tire test on these two tires. As expected - the PSS performed better in every category. BUT - the A/S 3 was stated to be one of the best all season tires - period. (the PSS is a Summer tire)

Other facts: the A/S 3 will last longer and is cheaper to purchase. The PSS is a bit more expensive, won't last as long, but performs better and is a couple of pounds lighter.

More: the tread wear rating of the orig RE050s is 140...the PSS is 300...the A/S 3 is 500. Therefore - I would estimate even the sticky PSS will last longer than the orig Bridgestones.

Unsure where you live - I'm in the DFW area of TX. We rarely get snow (except for tomorrow - won't that be just lovely). I've debated going to the A/S 3 to get better cold weather performance (the PSS doesn't like freezing temps). We don't get a lot of freezing temps compared to other locales, but it does happen.

Ultimately - the choice is yours - I don't think you can go wrong with either tire.

Oh - and check out prices at Tirerack.com - places like Discount Tire will match their prices. I trust these guys more so than the dealer....but that's just me...

Finally - if you skim the tire section - I think you will find some folks that own both tires and various opinions of each.

Good Luck - and let me know which one you chose!

Last edited by MalbecG37S; 12-05-2013 at 07:42 AM. Reason: more blah blah blah 'ing
The following users liked this post:
randyg37s (12-05-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 07:54 AM
ronaldvalente

Nice post, thanks for your input.

The Pilot SS supposedly have better traction in Rain and Dry, but obviously nothing in any amount of snow etc.

That said, all the prices I have been quoted are absurd compared to tire rack.
As far as Discount Tire goes, the one by me cannot do alignments, so I would have to find another place to do the alignment.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:59 AM
MalbecG37S

Originally Posted by ronaldvalente
Nice post, thanks for your input.

The Pilot SS supposedly have better traction in Rain and Dry, but obviously nothing in any amount of snow etc.

That said, all the prices I have been quoted are absurd compared to tire rack.
As far as Discount Tire goes, the one by me cannot do alignments, so I would have to find another place to do the alignment.
Yeah - regarding alignment - you can get that done elsewhere assuming DT saves you a few bucks. Realize - they do have to add mounting & balancing fee on top of the tire price. And sales tax is a b**** too!

Where are you located? And - how long do you plan on keeping the car?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:08 AM
ronaldvalente

I am in NC, and I have mixed emotions on keeping the car.

It is completely paid off, so I will most likely end up keeping it.
There is no car out there that I like more at this point (that is affordable) - keywords.

Tirerack has the A/S 3's for 700, so I might try Discount Tire, get the tires installed/mounted/balanced (as long as they are trusted to not break TPMS and use the proper weights)... then I will have to find a place to do the alignment.

Will you be going with the stock sizes 225/50R18 and 245/45R18?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:13 AM
MalbecG37S

Will you be going with the stock sizes 225/50R18 and 245/45R18?
LOL - we are very much in the same boat. I think I will be keeping it...there is nothing out there that pulls me in. One new car does interest me (don't laugh!) - the Chevy SS. But..anyway...

Yes - I'm sticking w/stock sizes. You can change somewhat - but be very aware of overall outside diameter - you don't want to mess with that. I have no concern with staying stock. It is my daily driver - not tracking it - etc, etc..
Old 12-05-2013, 08:21 AM
ronaldvalente

Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
LOL - we are very much in the same boat. I think I will be keeping it...there is nothing out there that pulls me in. One new car does interest me (don't laugh!) - the Chevy SS. But..anyway...
Indeed we are, I was looking at the Subaru WRX STI (drove Subarus my entire life pre-Infinit G37) Really miss the 1998-2006 Legacy design. The STI is the same price as a base Infiniti, which is why I went the G37s route. I do miss AWD (originally from NY).

Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
Yes - I'm sticking w/stock sizes. You can change somewhat - but be very aware of overall outside diameter - you don't want to mess with that. I have no concern with staying stock. It is my daily driver - not tracking it - etc, etc..
I will most likely be sticking with the stock sizes as well, not tracking it here, and the sizes that are OEM are not too hard to find.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:47 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
It really comes down to how much freezing weather you guys encounter, the summer treads will out perform the A/S everywhere above freezing but below freezing the A/S is a safer tire. If you can get through a few freezing days by driving w/ extra precaution than the summer treads FTW. If you're driving cross country through the snow belt in winter than you've got a dilemma
Old 12-05-2013, 08:48 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I can attest that the PSS are indeed good for about 25-30K miles on an S with staggered fitment where you can't rotate them. I have had them for a while and I can also affirm that they don't like the cold at all and will let you know that, especially in the wet. It doesn't have to be freezing, temperatures in the low 40's can make them squirm around. Part of the reason that they are great as far as performance and tread life is that the majority of the tire tread is made up of one compound that has pretty good wear and only the outer part of the tread (about 20% or so) is made of the super soft sticky rubber. That's the part of the tire that gives amazing grip during heavy cornering. But because of slight negative camber in modern cars, it gets the least road wear when driving in a straight line. The best of both worlds.

I can't comment on the AS/3 because I haven't had them yet, but every comment I have seen is good. I have the Primacy MXM4 on the wife's G sedan and they're pretty good. tread wear has been great, they are at 25K and look almost new. The AS/3 have the same warranty and tread wear rating. If the AS/3 are better than the Primacy MXM4 as far as all seasons you should be very satisfied with them.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I can attest that the PSS are indeed good for about 25-30K miles on an S with staggered fitment where you can't rotate them.
For a comparison, how long did you get out of the oem bridgestones? If 30K is realistic I would go with the PSS next time.

I was going to get the PSS but ended up going with the S-04 pole positions since they were almost $300 less. I pretty much am assuming ill need to replace my tires every year.

It's gotten into the low 30s here in charlotte a few times, and yes, they are more loose in those temperatures, but still ok to drive on if you're careful.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:05 AM
ronaldvalente

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
For a comparison, how long did you get out of the oem bridgestones? If 30K is realistic I would go with the PSS next time.

I was going to get the PSS but ended up going with the S-04 pole positions since they were almost $300 less. I pretty much am assuming ill need to replace my tires every year.

It's gotten into the low 30s here in charlotte a few times, and yes, they are more loose in those temperatures, but still ok to drive on if you're careful.
They have been spinning quite a bit in the cold we have had in the Triangle.
As far as mileage, I am at 17k and they are bald in the front (2/32) the rears are 4/32.

Nobody seems to be able to get the A/S 3, might try and find the primacy, I would like to get 30k out of the miles, that is more than 3 years of driving for me
Old 12-05-2013, 10:13 AM
BSG1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I purchased the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 about two weeks back, and it is a night and day difference compared to my previous Toyo Proxes. They drive very well, they're quiet (Michelin Primacy will be quieter...) and so far I'm very happy with my choice. They went through light snow last week and performed flawlessly...and I have a RWD S, not an X.

Regarding the treadwear rating between the OEM Bridgestones being 140 and the AS/3 being 500...I think treadwear ratings are only relevant to each brand. Meaning Bridgestone rates 140 based upon the rest of the tires they make, and don't compare to other manufacturers. At least that is what I was told. So I don't believe you can compare between brands based on that rating.

Also, I got a slightly wider tire for the rear since I always disliked how the front tire had some buldge and the rear looked stretched in comparison. And I think the OD is closer now too. I got 225/50/18 and 255/45/18 (instead of 245/45/18). Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
ronaldvalente (12-05-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 10:21 AM
ronaldvalente

I am looking at CR (Tires are one of the few still-useful items IMHO)

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (76) $706
Dry Braking: 5
Dry Handling: 5
Wet Braking: 4
Wet Handling: 4
Hydroplaning: 4
Ride: 4
Noise: 4
Rolling Resistance: 3
Tread Life: 4

Michelin Pilot Super Sport (78) $804
Dry Braking: 5
Dry Handling: 5
Wet Handling: 5
Hydroplaning: 5
Ride: 4
Noise: 4
Rolling Resistance: 3

Michelin Primacy (70) $802
Dry Braking: 4
Dry Handling: 4
Wet Handling: 4
Hydroplaning: 3
Ride: 5
Noise: 5
Rolling Resistance: 5

Last edited by ronaldvalente; 12-05-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: added primacy score & tire rack prices
Old 12-05-2013, 11:09 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
They have been spinning quite a bit in the cold we have had in the Triangle.
As far as mileage, I am at 17k and they are bald in the front (2/32) the rears are 4/32.

Nobody seems to be able to get the A/S 3, might try and find the primacy, I would like to get 30k out of the miles, that is more than 3 years of driving for me
The Michelin Primacy is an excellent tire. It's just not excellent for a car like a G37S.
If you are willing to sacrifice good handling then you will like the tire.

I would stick to performance/high perf. sport rated tires and shy away from grand touring tires.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac

I'ts been a long time but I believe I got somewhere near 20K if I remember. Maybe a little under that.

Quick Reply: Help: New Tire Choices