Help: New Tire Choices

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 06:45 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
And I've had nothing buy terrible experience with discount tire.

1--mounted staggered tires on my wifes car incorrectly. Rears on one side, fronts on the other. It was the Saturday before easter so they were closed sunday. Wife had a trip on monday so I got to spend a good portion of my Sunday putting the car up on 4 jack stands since there isnt a spare. They totally denied it. They ended up refunding the install cost, buy not until I showed them the tire pressure gauge and pack of torque sticks left in the car.

2--failed to tighten lug nuts on 1 wheel of my old Mazda 6. Got on the highway, massive vibration. By the time I pulled over 3 studs had snapped off.

3--failed to fix a nail puncture and I was back the next day.

If your discount tire offers good service, great. But they are franchises and quality is going to vary greatly from location to location.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:12 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Used Discount tire twice, OK for my truck as I don't care if they use the air hammer around those wheels.

Specifically told them not to use air tools on my OEM Infiniti wheels, the tech said "no problem" and as soon as my car was up, here came the air impact. I actually went out into the service bay and basically said WTF. Tech said they use it for all the cars, and I said "you just told me inside that it was no problem using hand tools". He then said, I'm sorry sir, I thought that was your car (and pointed to an old Accord)
For now I just put the car on jack stands and remove the tires, load them in my truck and do the mount/dismounts in my garage for times I need all four tires off
Old 05-09-2014, 09:51 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
For now I just put the car on jack stands and remove the tires, load them in my truck and do the mount/dismounts in my garage for times I need all four tires off
I do this too

Another option is to find an independent shop that actually has some skin in the game, although they will likely be more expensive. Tire techs at chain stores dont give a **** if they mess up. They willl just re-do the job and the company eats the cost. If something gets damaged it just gets charged to insurance. If the independent guy screws something up, the time he spends fixing it is time he cant be working on someone elses car and thus making money.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:45 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
As someone that has bought alot of tires in their lifetime, I highly recommend Discount Tire for the following reasons:

1. They price match anyone. Just bring in a printout of the competitive ad, done deal.
2. Service is very good and consistent between cities (I've used them in 3 of the cities I've lived with no complaints)
3. Free Rotation/Balance. Not the Costco type of free rotation/balance where you drop the car off and they 'get to it when they have a chance', but one where you make an appointment and are out of there within a half hour.
4. Also, if they find a nail/screw in one of the tires, they fix it. Send you wife there during the day, no up-selling, they just fix the tire, no questions asked and no requirement for having purchased an unnecessary road hazard warranty.
5. They honor the manufacture's warranty and prorate in a very effective manner that is favorable to the buyer. Costco failed me in this regard on several occasions. They even offer a buyback on your old tires if you are like me and hate to wait till they are at 2/32nds.

Don't get me wrong, I love Costco and could write an entire blog on the quality of their food and wine, I just stopped buying tires there for the reasons noted above. Outside of Costco and Discount Tire, I could not find anyone with an acceptable level of quality for a similar price.
I used to feel the same way about discount tire when they first came to my area. They were absolutely great in all ways and I recommended them to all my friends. I took my G to them for it's first tire change and they scratched a rim and lost two factory valve stem caps. The balance stunk even using their road force balance machine. On my 3rd set of tires I went to an independent higher end shop and they did a perfect job in every area. I'll never use discount again...definitely never for my G and never even for my 17 year old beater....it's just not worth it. It's too bad since discount was a bright spot for service for years on several sets of tires on my old car.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:46 PM
jindusingh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with not using Discount Tire, I have had a bad experience with them. When I purchased new tires, i have been unable to balance the tires properly, even with road force machine.

I think they messed something up and won't admit it.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:01 AM
alrockaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guess I've had better luck with Discount Tire. I've bought about a dozen sets of tires from them over the years and never had an issue. They've done flat repairs, re-balancing, etc. and I've been happy each time.