wheel shudder at highway speeds, brand new car...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:58 AM
Loric76
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheel shudder at highway speeds, brand new car...

Just picked up my new 2013 G37S on Friday, and got on the highway with it for the first time this morning. Between 80-140km/h (50-85mph), there's a slight shudder. It almost feels like one of the wheels is out of balance, but it's not the same as previous experiences with wheel imbalance. The shudder is more subtle and is there for pretty wide speed range, wider than is normal for a balance issue. Seems to be at it's worst between 100-120km/h (60-75mph).

I'm concerned that it might be flat spotting since it's a 2013 that sold late in the model year & I don't know how long it sat at the dealership before I came along.

Any thoughts? It's not my first G (traded in a 2007 G35 Sport) but it is my first new Nissan/Infiniti, so I'm not sure if I'm experiencing some weird break-in issue that's unique to the car or the brand. The car only has 35km (20 miles) on it.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:03 AM
destro6MTsedan

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Loric, I am sorry for the issues you are having, but just take it back to the dealer and have them check it out. If it is a flat spot on the tire, they should be able to take care of that for you. Hope everything works out.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Loric76
Registered Member

Yup will do. Just checking to see if it was a common issue or if others had experienced it before giving the dealer a call. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
30 years ago, I spent months in and out of the dealership for service on a new Firebird. They must have re-balanced half a dozen times. They even swapped in new tires. Nada. Eventually they determined the drive shaft was slightly off spec; (it wasn't straight). I was there at the shop when they extended this calibration tool up from the floor against the shaft with the car on the lift. I can still hear the tech say, "Holy ****" after it was obvious what the real problem was.

But I'm sure your problem is a simple tire balance. Your car is new... use your warranty, and don't worry about it unless they give you the car back and it's still not fixed. That's when the real fun starts.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:02 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
have them check your alignment. my 2010's alignment was off when I picked it up new. it didn't have the wheel shudder, but it was pulling and the steering wheel was off centered.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:12 PM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I picked up my new G37S, noticed it had a slight shudder on the test drive. I believe they said it was a flat spot on one of the tires, replaced a tire, problem went away (I suppose it also could have been a wheel balance, but regardless, problem solved)
Old 10-15-2013, 12:53 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
30 years ago, I spent months in and out of the dealership for service on a new Firebird. They must have re-balanced half a dozen times. They even swapped in new tires. Nada. Eventually they determined the drive shaft was slightly off spec; (it wasn't straight). I was there at the shop when they extended this calibration tool up from the floor against the shaft with the car on the lift. I can still hear the tech say, "Holy ****" after it was obvious what the real problem was.

But I'm sure your problem is a simple tire balance. Your car is new... use your warranty, and don't worry about it unless they give you the car back and it's still not fixed. That's when the real fun starts.
I resemble both of those remarks!

My 4th gen z28 ('97) had the same issue! From ~50-90mph, the car would hum. It wasn't a continuous hum either, but cyclic with shorter interval between hums as you went faster. After scouring the boards, the fix was to replace the steel drive shaft with an aluminum one. This didn't fix the problem but shifted the main harmonic to a higher speed - 70+ mph.

As for your 2nd comment - I was a very unproud owner of a kia optima sx (2011) for a brief 2 months. Car was in the shop half a dozen times or more for handling/tracking issues. Would not drive straight and required constant corrections. Apparently this was a wide spread issue witht eh optimas and hyundai sonatas. There eventually released a TSB that did fix it for some, but not all. I suspect main fault is a result of somse strange front end geometry design issue. Conclusion: kia/hyundai==trash. Will never consider either of these ever again.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
I resemble both of those remarks!

I was a very unproud owner of a kia optima sx (2011) for a brief 2 months.
Hey, jsolo. Small world. That 3rd gen F-body was domestic hotness back in the day.

Shame about your Optima. Damn sexy sheet metal over an under-engineered design. And that, sir, pretty much sums up the entire line of cars from both Korean manufacturers.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:00 PM
Loric76
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sniper27
have them check your alignment. my 2010's alignment was off when I picked it up new. it didn't have the wheel shudder, but it was pulling and the steering wheel was off centered.
Come to think of it it was pulling to the left slightly as well. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm at the dealer now waiting for them to look at it. It didn't exhibit the same symptoms on the way here but it was mostly stop and go and I didn't get up to speed for more than a couple moments, so who knows. We'll see what they find.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:03 PM
Loric76
Registered Member

Turns out all four tires have flat spots, which also explains why I felt it this morning when it was colder out and not as much this afternoon under the warm sun.

They're going to replace all four under warranty. Thanks guys.