Finally got quality pics (GTR wheels)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 01:38 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SAPG37
Yep, they gave me a print out. Aesthetically, I couldn't be happier. Functionality, forget about it. My girlfriend went to Santa Barbra for the weekend with some friends and took the camera so I'm waiting for her to get home then I will post some shots.

Do people really run wide tire 20's without ANY rubbing issues as far as carrying weight in the rear??
I'm running 295s on zero gap w/ coilovers and no rubbing issues, the felt fender liner is a bit tattered right at the lowest point so it was rubbing initially but no more
What are all your alignment specs, can't you tell my curiosity is killing me
Old 09-16-2013, 06:58 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
you have an A7 and a G37S so why not buy a GTR instead?

looks nice but a bit wide on the rear for my taste.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:49 PM
11SAPG37

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by alfredo24pr
you have an A7 and a G37S so why not buy a GTR instead?

looks nice but a bit wide on the rear for my taste.

Insurance on one would be a 335i car payment itself. One day...
Old 09-16-2013, 08:03 PM
Yoshi

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
need to stretch a smaller tire, lower it more, and more camber.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:59 PM
11SAPG37

UPDATE:

Here's a pic of the neg camber -3.4 in the rear. The pic is terrible, but the wheels stick out JUST a little. A lot less then before, though.

Coilovers will be installed soon. Can't take the rubbing anymore. Only happens when there is weight in the rear or if I am going up a hill with a bend, but I live on the top of a hill with a bend so its annoying. It was a lot worse prior to the negative camber, but still exists.

Looking forward to the ample adjust-ability of the coilovers. Going broke!

It appears the fenders are sitting on the tires but they're not. There is a small finger gap.

Name:  e444106e-85d0-4f73-af23-63a654d6623d_zps3ae2b7cc.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  310.6 KB
Old 09-19-2013, 01:02 PM
11SAPG37

Originally Posted by blnewt
I'm running 295s on zero gap w/ coilovers and no rubbing issues, the felt fender liner is a bit tattered right at the lowest point so it was rubbing initially but no more
What are all your alignment specs, can't you tell my curiosity is killing me
I meant to scan the alignment sheet and post it but I have been forgetting to bring it to work! Did you install coilovers after your wheels? If so was it rubbing before? I'm assuming you're not rubbing now because the stiffness ??
Old 09-19-2013, 02:24 PM
unknown2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you take a side picture? I'd like to see it from the side view. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
You sure seem to be trying hard to make these GTR rims work on the G37 Sedan. I respect the effort, and like the wheel design. Perhaps seeing it in person is a different perspective, but from these pictures it seems an inescapable conclusion, that these wheels simply don't work on this car.

Who here hasn't had that WTF Moment, driving behind a car with its rims sticking out?

If you're in a happy place, that's all that matters. And perhaps you're a better man than I am, OP.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:16 PM
11SAPG37

Originally Posted by Rochester
You sure seem to be trying hard to make these GTR rims work on the G37 Sedan. I respect the effort, and like the wheel design. Perhaps seeing it in person is a different perspective, but from these pictures it seems an inescapable conclusion, that these wheels simply don't work on this car.

Who here hasn't had that WTF Moment, driving behind a car with its rims sticking out?

If you're in a happy place, that's all that matters. And perhaps you're a better man than I am, OP.

Worth the effort to me. I love the wheels and couldn't be happier with the look, they suit the car very well IMO. Matter of fact, I was driving home during my lunch break today and a lady in a G37s coupe followed me and flagged me down at a light and was in shock when she saw my car. She told me "Your wheels look really nice, I'm jealous."

People look and then look again when I drive around town (that isn't the reason I got them). With time and some modifications they will work for the car.

I will take another shot when I get the opportunity, but when your looking at the car from any perspective the wheels don't appear to be sticking out like everyone thinks from this thread. Granted, they did stick out a fair amount before I got an alignment. Maybe it really is something that has to be seen in person to understand.

If you were driving behind me or aside me you wouldn't have that "WTF moment," it looks normal. Not trying to convince you to love the look; to each their own.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:36 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

I meant to scan the alignment sheet and post it but I have been forgetting to bring it to work! Did you install coilovers after your wheels? If so was it rubbing before? I'm assuming you're not rubbing now because the stiffness ??
Looks like you're 95% there , a bit more of a drop and they should tuck right in (but just barely, lol). I'm trying to remember the sequence of events~
I was dropped on B&G springs which slammed the car (about 1/2" of tire under the front fender lip, and just a bit higher in the back).
I then bought the coilovers and adjusted them to zero gap and then purchased the staggered wheel/tire set. Only had rubbing the first couple days, it was real minor on the fender liner and only under severe compression. The area where it was rubbing has worn enough that it's fine now, and just a bit of abrasion on the liner.

I think you'll have to cut your fender liner about an inch from the edge, for about the top 3rd of your fender well, like the 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock area if you're looking directly from the side of the car. There's also a metal fender bracket that seems to give people trouble although I've never had an issue, it seems to be more of an issue w/ coupes.

My wheels are pretty flush but still a few mm room, I think you'll only have maybe 2mm to spare once you lower it a bit more. Here's my rear tire fit for reference.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:00 PM
11SAPG37

I think you'll have to cut your fender liner about an inch from the edge, for about the top 3rd of your fender well, like the 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock area if you're looking directly from the side of the car. There's also a metal fender bracket that seems to give people trouble although I've never had an issue, it seems to be more of an issue w/ coupes.
I'm going to do this tonight! I can hear the wheels hit the liner when going over big bumps. That should get me 96.5 % there, lol. Hopefully she will be sitting pretty after some coilovers! I don't expect that it will be as flush as your car, but I'm okay with that. As long as it doesn't rub.

If someone can point me in the direction of which set would best suit what I'm trying to accomplish with my G, it would be very appreciated. I want to try and stay away from the more expensive sets (if possible), though. I've seen some that are $1,500 plus. Just something that will fix my problem.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:07 PM
11SAPG37

You're making me look like an A$s!! Compared to this, my wheel sticks out like a ****.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (09-19-2013)
Old 09-19-2013, 05:08 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

I'm going to do this tonight! I can hear the wheels hit the liner when going over big bumps. That should get me 96.5 % there, lol. Hopefully she will be sitting pretty after some coilovers! I don't expect that it will be as flush as your car, but I'm okay with that. As long as it doesn't rub.

If someone can point me in the direction of which set would best suit what I'm trying to accomplish with my G, it would be very appreciated. I want to try and stay away from the more expensive sets (if possible), though. I've seen some that are $1,500 plus. Just something that will fix my problem.
Stance SS coilovers are getting nice reviews, they're not the cheapest but a nice price for the features and also use Swift coil springs, here's a reply w/ more info~
https://www.myg37.com/forums/3680237-post14.html
Old 09-19-2013, 05:13 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

You're making me look like an A$s!! Compared to this, my wheel sticks out like a ****.
LOL, yep but I cheated, I was able to hand pick my offsets, you weren't as fortunate, but hey they're GTR wheels, so that gets you extra Balla points!
Old 09-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
People look and then look again when I drive around town
You're assuming those looks are complimentary.

There it is.

I'm not trying to be mean-spirited, 11SAPG37, I'm simply contributing an opinion to your thread that happens to run contrary to your best ambitions. Even you have to agree, Newt here has nailed non-OEM wheel fitment. It's a bullseye.

Here are two thoughts to put it in context: One, I still have OEM duckfeet, so what do I know? (LOL) And two, those GTR rims look absolutely fantastic from a flat, perpendicular, side-profile, 18" off the pavement.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-19-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Finally got quality pics (GTR wheels)