Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 01:02 PM
lake985
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I installed the A/S 3's about a week ago and have about 300 miles on them. At $155 each for the v-rated version, I figured why not.

Thus far, they're definitely an improvement over the factory Dunlops (but which tire isn't?!). The ride quality is a bit softer and the car seems to ride smoother, but road noise is only marginally improved. The handling, however, is much better. I've noticed that on a few of the on-ramps on my way to work where the Dunlops would squeal and break loose, the Michelins hugged the road and I was even able to increase my speed a bit.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:41 PM
drive6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zdubin
Thanks for the info, how is the ride? Is it softer and not so bouncy? Is the road "roar" muted? I find the OEM RE050A insanely noisy andthe ride very rough, so I am hoping for an improvement in the comfort category as well.
I'm pretty sure the ride is the same - same sidewall height - I wouldn't expect a noticeable difference without dropping to a smaller rim (not possible w sport brakes) and taller tire sidewall. I would say the road noise is similar but I might be wrong. Someone would need to drive the same road with both tires back to back at the same speed to provide a real answer.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:32 PM
DanG37
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For the same given sidewall height, I would suspect the W/Y rated versions to be a bit different than the H/V rated versions. The H/V versions are the only versions available for my 17"ers though (225x55x17).

Thanks for the feedback on this tire. I'm not crazy about the Primary MXV4's road noise, but I'd be willing to trade a bit on that front if need be for better performance in the wet.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:06 AM
zdubin

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DanG37
For the same given sidewall height, I would suspect the W/Y rated versions to be a bit different than the H/V rated versions. The H/V versions are the only versions available for my 17"ers though (225x55x17).

Thanks for the feedback on this tire. I'm not crazy about the Primary MXV4's road noise, but I'd be willing to trade a bit on that front if need be for better performance in the wet.
According to the initial pre-production reviews, the Pilot A/S 3 is supposed to be less noisy and ride more comfortably than a typical summer tire. I have a sport vert with the brutal 19 inch Summer tires, so I'm hoping the production tires performed as well as the preproduction versions and there is a comfort boost from the softer material used in the A/S tire.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:48 AM
mishmosh

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Have had these on my WRX now for almost 2 weeks. Very comfy. Good dry and wet traction. Quiet. Definitely as good as the Pilot Sport A/S plus that they replace but more comfy.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:06 AM
rza2042

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Bit the bullet and ordered a set for the rear. Will hopefully have some positive feedback soon. Seems like the reviews have been very good so far. I am looking forward to not hydroplaning anymore from the pathetic Yoko's on the rear.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:12 AM
Digital2k10

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drive6MT
I've been running them for less than a week. My comparison point is the previous set of very worn OEM RE050A's and my initial impression is that they are providing similar grip and turn-in. Considering the RE050A's are pretty sticky summer tires and were not far from racing slicks before their departure I'm happy so far. This is just a seat of the pants first impression, certainly not an objective review.
Any noticeable difference in the traction/grip of rears vs fronts given that you are running a higher speed rating (stiffer) set on the rear axle?
Old 07-12-2013, 06:36 AM
drive6MT

^^Nothing noticeable, pretty hard to find the traction limit on the front tires on the way to work! The rears - much easier. Biggest difference front to back is just the width stagger - 225 vs 255, but this is close enough to stock that I doubt I will be able to feel any change over the old 225-245 setup.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:52 PM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Great to hear the impressions of the new AS/3. I was on the fence between the Primacy MXM4 and the AS.. Based on what I'm hearing I think I'll go with the MXM4, If the road noise of the AS was closer to the MXM4 I'd go the other way, but what drives me nuts about th OEM Dunlops is their noise, and I know from expereince how much smoother and quieter the MXM4's are..
Old 07-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Antsmarchn

I will be needing new tires in the next month or so and am debating between these and the Continental extremecontact DWS. My concern is how these are in the snow. I usually wind up in Ohio and Michigan every winter and the trek down 80 can be a little scary if it's snowing. I would get dedicated snow tires, but I don't have room to store them.

Also for those of you with a Costco nearby, they can get the AS3. I was quoted a price of 180/tire installed. Unfortunately, there is no coupon right now, but the price does include nitrogen fill, road hazard, and lifetime rotation
Old 07-12-2013, 11:58 PM
DanG37
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Antsmarchn
Continental extremecontact DWS. My concern is how these are in the snow.
My impression is the Continental Extremecontact DWS is a notch more snow worthy, but that's just an impression. They both have the new, to my understanding, technique of having "biting edges" in the tread grooves, so the different between these tires in snow may not be all that significant.

Originally Posted by Antsmarchn
Also for those of you with a Costco nearby, they can get the AS3. I was quoted a price of 180/tire installed. Unfortunately, there is no coupon right now, but the price does include nitrogen fill, road hazard, and lifetime rotation
Random question, but is tire mounting service basically of the same quality regardless of who does it? For example, if one was spending a significant amout of time on the interstate or track at, say, 100mph, would it be worth getting tire mounting done a at more boutique shop?
Old 07-13-2013, 12:39 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by ErikM
Great to hear the impressions of the new AS/3. I was on the fence between the Primacy MXM4 and the AS.. Based on what I'm hearing I think I'll go with the MXM4, If the road noise of the AS was closer to the MXM4 I'd go the other way, but what drives me nuts about th OEM Dunlops is their noise, and I know from expereince how much smoother and quieter the MXM4's are..
I have the MXM4 on my wife's sedan. She had PSS and didn't like them, wanted a cushier ride. They are fairly comfortable ride wise, quiet, but they are not a performance tire by far. You can tell they're built to deliver gas mileage, quiet ride, and long tread wear. So long as you aren't expecting good handling you'll like them.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:00 PM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I had them on my 09, and briefly on my 13 they are WAY better than the OEM Dunlops or G'years.. And the Dunlops are supposed to be high perferomance all seasons.. No question they are smoother and quieter than the OEM's but they also stick better both wet and dry..For me a win win..

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I have the MXM4 on my wife's sedan. She had PSS and didn't like them, wanted a cushier ride. They are fairly comfortable ride wise, quiet, but they are not a performance tire by far. You can tell they're built to deliver gas mileage, quiet ride, and long tread wear. So long as you aren't expecting good handling you'll like them.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Antsmarchn

Originally Posted by DanG37
My impression is the Continental Extremecontact DWS is a notch more snow worthy, but that's just an impression. They both have the new, to my understanding, technique of having "biting edges" in the tread grooves, so the different between these tires in snow may not be all that significant.

Random question, but is tire mounting service basically of the same quality regardless of who does it? For example, if one was spending a significant amout of time on the interstate or track at, say, 100mph, would it be worth getting tire mounting done a at more boutique shop?
The Michelin are supposed to be improved over the older pilot sport A/S plus, but I was never very impressed with their snow performance. Turns out, my father had them on a car a few years back and they were only marginally better than the OEM tires in snow. I don't how I failed to mention this in my last post, but I can speak for the DWS in snow. My fiance has them on her car and they are a huge improvement over the stock Michelin. Maybe it's just me, but I tend to have bad luck with Michelin tires since they tend to wear out quickly, but yet I am still debating getting these once more reviews roll out.

As far as balancing the tires. I am no expert, but in the past I have just asked the installer to use the highest speed balancing option possible. On my current G, I told the dealer that above 90mph I get vibration in the wheels. They didn't seem to care and just used a higher speed balancing.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:25 PM
drive6MT

Having put a few more miles on my A/S 3's I'm still impressed. Noticing marginally less grip than the RE050A's and a few squeaks with moderate wheel-spin. The RE050's launched a bit better while quietly removing 1/32 of rubber... So far they seem like a very minor grip compromise for a lot more tread life.

Running these cars in anything more than a dusting of snow without proper snow tires is asking for trouble (A/S tires don't count). At least the A/S should provide good grip in the cold so the snow's can stay off much longer. In my experience if you can store a second set of tires and rims and change them yourself twice a year you will be much better off in the long run. Splitting the wear between two sets of tires might give you an extra season or two out of the summers or A/S. The snow tires can last many seasons if you wait until the night before the first storm to put them on. If you keep the car for four or five years you will likely go through the same number of tires (by buying a second set of snow's) or avoid buying new ones at the end of the lease.

Thinking about this further, it's the middle of July and I don't think it snowed anywhere this week. No need to get off topic and depressed talking about snow tires.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Tires