Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:28 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
That's lunch for four, tax, tip... but no drinks.
LOL! Very true...

I think I am still leaning toward the PSS. Performs better....lighter...win-win for me.

Yes - I keep bringing up weight. 2 to 4 lbs at the outside of the rim....gotta make a difference. Maybe it's just me...

(PSS is 4lbs lighter than the OE RE050 - rear tire comparison)
Old 06-20-2013, 08:15 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,515 Posts
Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
LOL! Very true...

I think I am still leaning toward the PSS. Performs better....lighter...win-win for me.

Yes - I keep bringing up weight. 2 to 4 lbs at the outside of the rim....gotta make a difference. Maybe it's just me...

(PSS is 4lbs lighter than the OE RE050 - rear tire comparison)
For some people, a 2-4 pound difference in weight is the deciding factor when choosing an aftermarket wheel. So in that context, I think tire weight is a totally valid consideration.

I have PSS on the staggered rears this summer, while squeezing one last year out of my OEM RE050A on the front, and I am convinced these PSS are a great tire. I'm very eager to get a pair on the front next spring, but can't just throw away good tires while they still have safe tread depth.

And before anyone tells me I must be understeering like crazy... I'm not, actually. I was expecting to, but it's just not happening like it used to when I had RE050A on all fours. Maybe it's the Eibach sways, IDK, but I'm very content.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:31 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Actually those RS-As are a no-season tire, I can't think of a season where they weren't total crap. The only real downfall w/ summer tires in the rain is the wear factor since sticky summer treads typically wear so fast they're effectiveness in rain at half tread life can get a bit scary, and often times that's only 6-8 months into the tires' life.
Indeed, I agree with you assessment. I went from the RS-As to the PS A/S Plus in less than a year. I have no idea why Infiniti went with the RS-As. They drove significantly worse than my old Honda Accord with Michelin Primacy tires.

I will say for $700 for a set of 4, these A/S 3s are priced pretty well.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:57 PM
drive6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Rack is offering two variants of the new A/S 3, H/V and W/Z speed ratings. Anyone know the difference (aside from ~$25/corner)? Sidewall stiffness perhaps. BTW availability date is now June 26.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:08 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 493 Posts
^^Sounds like speed ratings. The W/Z would be the higher of the two (149 or 168 mph or such iirc). Might be a stiffer tire or have more reinforcement.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Digital2k10

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I checked with Tirerack today and was advised that Michelin will not manufacture the tires in the precise specs which I am looking for. My staggered OEM setup is 225/45/R19 and 245/40/R19 with 'W' speed ratings. The problem appears to stem from the fact that the tires will not be manufactured in those sizes with matching speed ratings. The fronts will be 'W' rated and the rears 'Y' rated. Is this really an issue given that the lower rated (front) tires more than cover the speed at which I will ever be driving? I read something about negative handling effects when using the same tires with different speed ratings due to the difference in the way they are made. Apparently, the higher rated tires are stiffer which will make them handle differently.

Basically, I am looking for top-notch all-seasons for the cold weather and had my hopes up when these tires were announced. I'd appreciate any input on this matter.

Edit: Forgot to mention that these tires are for street (although spirited/aggressive at times) driving only.

Last edited by Digital2k10; 07-03-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:57 PM
drive6MT

I hope it's not an issue as I don't plan on sending mine back. 225/50ZR18 95W & 255/45ZR18 99Y fresh today. Seems like the least of the tire mismatch offenses out there, I might loose some sleep if I was going to run them at Daytona.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:37 PM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by drive6MT
I hope it's not an issue as I don't plan on sending mine back. 225/50ZR18 95W & 255/45ZR18 99Y fresh today. Seems like the least of the tire mismatch offenses out there, I might loose some sleep if I was going to run them at Daytona.
Can't rotate them anyway. The 255 vs. 225 is a bigger mismatch when you think about it. Hell, the front to back don't even have to be the same DIAMETER (think old school muscle cars). Left to right mismatch is what matters.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:56 PM
drive6MT

I might put both the 255's on the right for long road trips.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:56 AM
DanG37
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I saw the add here, so I checked out their page.
Pilot Sport A/S 3 | Michelin Tires

I really don't like how my Primacy-MXV4 tires fare in the wet though. (I got them with the car. I didn't like these tires in the wet back when I had them on a Maxima either.) So I checked to see what Michelin had to say about those tires... Primacy MXV4 | Michelin Tires "Confident Wet-Weather Handling."

Hum, yeah, so to be candid, I simply do not trust Michelin's word on the matter. I'm willing to be surprised though. Basically I need a "all-season" that's on the summer tire end of the spectrum that's very good in the wet since I live with rain. (I only sparsely encounter freezing rain or sleet, but I do encounter it too often enough to go pure summer and <40F nights are not unusual as well.)

I'll be interested to see these tires properly tested. I've tempted to also look for some 18" OEMs to upgrade to. Regarding price, I suspect they are having to keep the price down to complete with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:40 AM
DanG37
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would have liked too have seen the wet bit done with RWD rather than AWD, but this still seems like a very promising tire:
BMWBLOG Tests Michelin's New Category-Defying Rubber: Pilot Sport A/S 3
Tire Test - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - European Car Magazine
Review of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | @FlatSixes - the blog about Porsche
Old 07-04-2013, 10:24 AM
alanz
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Currently I have Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my 20" rims, I like everything about them except the road noise. But I am sure I'll try out Pilot Sport A/S 3 when I am ready for the next round, the braking and handling have been improved since A/S plus, nice.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:36 AM
zdubin

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Anyone actually have the Pilot Sport A/S 3 yet? If so, can you provide a review?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:22 PM
drive6MT

I've been running them for less than a week. My comparison point is the previous set of very worn OEM RE050A's and my initial impression is that they are providing similar grip and turn-in. Considering the RE050A's are pretty sticky summer tires and were not far from racing slicks before their departure I'm happy so far. This is just a seat of the pants first impression, certainly not an objective review.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:39 AM
zdubin

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by drive6MT
I've been running them for less than a week. My comparison point is the previous set of very worn OEM RE050A's and my initial impression is that they are providing similar grip and turn-in. Considering the RE050A's are pretty sticky summer tires and were not far from racing slicks before their departure I'm happy so far. This is just a seat of the pants first impression, certainly not an objective review.
Thanks for the info, how is the ride? Is it softer and not so bouncy? Is the road "roar" muted? I find the OEM RE050A insanely noisy andthe ride very rough, so I am hoping for an improvement in the comfort category as well.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Tires