Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 05:57 AM
JMS2000

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Summers are totally fine in the rain. You're high, boss.

Bird is the word.
Somebody's high alright...

Well, you guys can buy what you want, but IMO summer tires just don't grip well in wet conditions. I feel like I have to drive much slower than I should have to, or risk traction loss. But this is off topic, since the OP was providing information about a new all-season tire option. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:59 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,515 Posts
Originally Posted by rks
Rochester is correct. Summers are usually better in rain than all-seasons.
Whoops, there it is.

Originally Posted by JMS2000
Well, you guys can buy what you want, but IMO summer tires just don't grip well in wet conditions.
I drove for 8 summers on Goodyear Eagle F1 tires with my last car, and they were amazing in the rain. Total confidence. Please use Teh Google, because your advice about summer-only tires is inaccurate. Saying "as soon as it rains you're SOL" is hyperbole worthy of FOX, hence the Billo Bird.

Here's a good explanation: Tire Review - Weighing Summer vs. All-Season UHP Tires

Basically, the softer compound in 3-season tires is far superior in wet-road driving than the compound used in 4-season tires. The only comparison that changes this analysis is high-water driving, where the car can hydroplane because the tread can't displace water fast enough due to volume exceeding design. In these rare cases, the tread-design wins, regardless of seasonal intent or compound.

And it's nothing personal... opine all you want, just don't make up facts.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-14-2013 at 09:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
rks (06-14-2013), rpm&my_G35 (06-14-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I just drove through the summer storm we had yesterday with my pilot Super sports. Flood warnings, downpours, etc. I had no problem with the summer slicks.

However, with ANY tire you need to consider your conditions and drive appropriately. I dont change my driving style with mild rain, but when the downpours start to happen, most people drive a little slower. Your limiting factor is usually YOUR ability to react due to decreased visibility, not any limitation with tires.

And IMO, the best combination will always be a set of dedicated summer tires and dedicated winter tires. But for those who dont like the hassle of 2 sets, the A/S'3s look very promising. Im looking forward to seeing the winter reviews of the A/S3s. In Maryland, we got only a handful of snow last year and most of my driving was just in cold conditions. So for southern states, the A/S3 as a one-size-fits-all where they dont see the northern winters might perfectly fit the bill.
The following users liked this post:
rks (06-14-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 02:12 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
hopefully these will be quieter than the dreadful stock dunlop A/S...VOMIT
Old 06-14-2013, 02:21 PM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
+1 on the crappy OE Dunlops.. My decision this fall will be on either the new Pilot A/S 3 or the Primacy MXM4.. The Primacys I've had, and they are super quiet, smooth, stick like snot wet and dry and even do well in light snow.. If the new AS are even better that's what I'll get, otherwise MXM4's for me..
Old 06-14-2013, 03:03 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Summers are totally fine in the rain. You're high, boss.

Bird is the word.
Originally Posted by rks
Rochester is correct. Summers are usually better in rain than all-seasons. If you don't face snow or temps under 40, you should be fine with summer tread. I run Summers for 8 or 9 months and dedicated Winters for the remainder.
Somebody's high alright...

Well, you guys can buy what you want, but IMO summer tires just don't grip well in wet conditions. I feel like I have to drive much slower than I should have to, or risk traction loss. But this is off topic, since the OP was providing information about a new all-season tire option. Thanks for sharing.
No, seriously, Rochester is right. Summer tires have MUCH better performance in the wet. They only on suffer in performance when you're getting close to freezing. Check out what Tirerack has to say about best wet performing tires.

Originally Posted by Tirerack.com
I often hear customers say, "It rains a lot where I live, so I need to have an all-season tire." While the name all-season implies that a tire might be the best tire for every season, the reality is that the compound and tread pattern of an all-season tire is actually a compromise between wet, dry and snow capability. Each of these conditions have different requirements, so an all-season tire actually gives away some wet and dry traction to gain light snow traction.

Summer tires are the ultimate wet weather performers. They have sticky compounds to grip wet pavement and tread patterns designed to let water flow through and away from the contact patch. The current class leaders in wet and overall traction are the Michelin Pilot Super Sport and Bridgestone Potenza S-04.
I ran the stock Goodyear RS-A for a year before I switched over to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, just because I go snowboarding every once in a while. Didn't want crap grip up in the mountains. But honestly, after not taking my G for the past 2 seasons, my next set is going to be the PSS. Much better performance overall.

These A/S 3's look nice if you live in an area that gets close to freezing/snow, but don't like a true winter tire. Though, personally, if I lived in an area that gets snow, I wouldn't want to compromise my safety. I'd just opt for the best summer and best winter tires and switch them accordingly.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:13 PM
JMS2000

Whoops, there it is.

I drove for 8 summers on Goodyear Eagle F1 tires with my last car, and they were amazing in the rain. Total confidence. Please use Teh Google, because your advice about summer-only tires is inaccurate. Saying "as soon as it rains you're SOL" is hyperbole worthy of FOX, hence the Billo Bird.

Here's a good explanation: Tire Review - Weighing Summer vs. All-Season UHP Tires

Basically, the softer compound in 3-season tires is far superior in wet-road driving than the compound used in 4-season tires. The only comparison that changes this analysis is high-water driving, where the car can hydroplane because the tread can't displace water fast enough due to volume exceeding design. In these rare cases, the tread-design wins, regardless of seasonal intent or compound.

And it's nothing personal... opine all you want, just don't make up facts.
No worries, nothing personal taken. I have more important things to worry about . But I do think your responses were very immature. I was just stating my opinion based on my experiences with summer tires, hence the IMO. But for some reason you found the need to jump all over me with nonsensical posts and poor references to topics that are completely irrelevant, and that was poor form. The OP posted information for those interested in A/S tires and I don't recall anyone asking you for your preference otherwise. But like I said, you can buy whatever you want, it's your money.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:56 AM
Rochester
Administrator

No worries, nothing personal taken. I have more important things to worry about . But I do think your responses were very immature. I was just stating my opinion based on my experiences with summer tires, hence the IMO. But for some reason you found the need to jump all over me with nonsensical posts and poor references to topics that are completely irrelevant, and that was poor form. The OP posted information for those interested in A/S tires and I don't recall anyone asking you for your preference otherwise. But like I said, you can buy whatever you want, it's your money.
The important thing here is that you learned something about tires, so that you don't keep repeating misinformation.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:35 AM
JMS2000

The important thing here is that you learned something about tires, so that you don't keep repeating misinformation.
Yeah, it's been educational, thanks.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:13 PM
InfiG37xS

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
According to Tirerack, it will be avialable around 7/12/13.

Size: 225/50R18
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 95V
UTQG: None Price: $155.00 (each)
Estimated Availability: 07/12/13
Estimated Arrival: Get Estimate
Michelin*Pilot Sport A/S 3 (H- or V-Speed Rated)
The following users liked this post:
JMS2000 (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 06:01 PM
ErikM

$155.00 each?? that's gotta be wrong..
Old 06-19-2013, 06:08 PM
ErikM

Wow I'm wrong.. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (H- or V-Speed Rated)
Old 06-19-2013, 09:16 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Well - they seem to be priced nicely.

$155 for the front...$195 for the rear. $700 for the matched set (G37S)

Having said that - they are only $90 cheaper (in total) when compared to the PSS...
Old 06-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
Having said that - they are only $90 cheaper (in total) when compared to the PSS...
That's lunch for four, tax, tip... but no drinks.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:17 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by crazjayz
I ran the stock Goodyear RS-A for a year before I switched over to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, just because I go snowboarding every once in a while. Didn't want crap grip up in the mountains. But honestly, after not taking my G for the past 2 seasons, my next set is going to be the PSS. Much better performance overall.
Actually those RS-As are a no-season tire, I can't think of a season where they weren't total crap. The only real downfall w/ summer tires in the rain is the wear factor since sticky summer treads typically wear so fast they're effectiveness in rain at half tread life can get a bit scary, and often times that's only 6-8 months into the tires' life.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Tires