Flat Tire - now mismatched - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 10:12 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
All four should match...anything else is less than desirable.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:00 PM
linusent01

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi All, OP here with an update. As I come to find out... the one new Michelin Pilot Sport that they put on is actually a "directional tire". That's right, there's an arrow on the outside that shows the direction it should rotate. In my haste I didn't notice until, now. The good news is that they put it on correctly. I feel though the bad news is now I have to match that. Any feelings on how this affects my options now?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:45 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by linusent01
Hi All, OP here with an update. As I come to find out... the one new Michelin Pilot Sport that they put on is actually a "directional tire". That's right, there's an arrow on the outside that shows the direction it should rotate. In my haste I didn't notice until, now. The good news is that they put it on correctly. I feel though the bad news is now I have to match that. Any feelings on how this affects my options now?
Not sure how that really effects too much, just need to make sure they install the new one, or new three correctly. I'd just bite the bullet and get the set completed already, you were pretty much due for new tires anyway.

Put it this way, those tires are about the most important thing between you & the road, why do it halfway? Sure it'll cost more now, but in the scheme of things it's a bargain.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:55 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Just saw on tirerack the bridgestone potenza s-04's are dirty cheap

$125 for 225/50/18 and $175 for 245/45/18 .. If I didn't need tires a year from now, I'd jump on this deal myself. Contrary to all the praise the michelin pilot super sport has gotten (which I realize is not the same tire the OP got), there's been a fair number of soft sidewall complaints, enough to make me weary of that tire. I don't need a repeat of what I had with my other car/tires.

Bridgestone*Potenza S-04 Pole Position
Old 05-15-2013, 09:23 PM
linusent01

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ok, just giving another update....
I put on the 2nd Michelin Pilot Sport today on the rear psr side so now both tires in the rear are the same. Total cost for both tires mounted... approx $520.00. A little pricey for tires that only last 20k miles. Two other things... 1. yes the ride is sweet though.. feels real gummy on the road and nice & smooth. 2. No more Merchants Tire for me, they smacked up my rims. Also when I asked them to put the old tire in my trunk (so I can use as a spare someday) they sure did... put the tire they ripped & damaged getting it off back in my trunk. So now I'll be taking it to the dump.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by linusent01
ok, just giving another update....
I put on the 2nd Michelin Pilot Sport today on the rear psr side so now both tires in the rear are the same. Total cost for both tires mounted... approx $520.00. A little pricey for tires that only last 20k miles. Two other things... 1. yes the ride is sweet though.. feels real gummy on the road and nice & smooth. 2. No more Merchants Tire for me, they smacked up my rims. Also when I asked them to put the old tire in my trunk (so I can use as a spare someday) they sure did... put the tire they ripped & damaged getting it off back in my trunk. So now I'll be taking it to the dump.
Hope they made things right when they dinged up your rims, I'd be raising serious hell for that, don't let them off the hook.