Deciding between: Michelin Pilot Super Sports Vs General G-Max AS-03 - G37 vert

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 11:01 AM
zdubin

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Deciding between: Michelin Pilot Super Sports Vs General G-Max AS-03 - G37 vert

I need to replace the 19 " tires on 2010 G37 S vert within the next 5,000 miles. I really don’t like the harsh ride, noise or vibrations that the OEM Bridgestones are famous for, and think that these tires exacerbate the rattle and squeek problems in the vert. The only things I like about the Bridgestones are the way the car corners and the grip of these tires above 50 degrees. They are acceptable In the cold, but not in the snow. Michelin Pilot Super Sports are a summer tire, but are only 1/5 summer compound, so I wonder if they can manage light winter duty? G-Max AS-03 are A/S tires, but I'm nervous about the performance drop-off from the current OEM tires.
Another question I have is whether or not to increase the width of the tires from the stock sizes?

These are my criteria for a replacement tire:

1) I want to maintain at least 90% of the grip the Bridgestone Summer tires provide in all conditions (above and below 50 degrees). Above 50 degrees, the Bridgestones really stick, below 50 degrees, they are just acceptable.
2) I want to substantially reduce the amount of the harsh ride, noise and vibrations that the current Bridgestone tire transmits
3) I would like the same cornering feel, or at least 90% the same feel
4) I want to reduce the tramlining, (the tendency of the car to shift left or right with bumps and rough roads)
5) Better wet performance than the OEM Bridgestones, they are barely adequate in the rain
6) The tires should be able to handle a dusting on snow, at low speeds (below 40 miles an hour). This is more of an option to use these tires if I am already driving, and it snows unexpectedly.
7) Light steering feel and responsiveness should be at least 90% of the current OEM Bridgestones.

It would be great if someone with experience with both tires could chime in and let me know all of the benefits and limitations of each tire. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I currently have both tires on different cars. 2 sets of PSS on a G coupe an G sedan. G-Max on a Maxima. Here's my opinions.

1) PSS - is better, no question.
2) ditto
3) PSS by a wide margin.
4) The more grip a tire has, the more pronounced this is so the PSS will be worse here. G-Max.
5) G-Max has better rain handling than the PSS.
6) Can't comment from personal experience on snow, but PSS is absolutely a summer tire not designed for any snow or ice. G-Max.
7) PSS without a doubt exceeds Bridgestones.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:26 AM
zdubin

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I currently have both tires on different cars. 2 sets of PSS on a G coupe an G sedan. G-Max on a Maxima. Here's my opinions.

1) PSS - is better, no question.
2) ditto
3) PSS by a wide margin.
4) The more grip a tire has, the more pronounced this is so the PSS will be worse here. G-Max.
5) G-Max has better rain handling than the PSS.
6) Can't comment from personal experience on snow, but PSS is absolutely a summer tire not designed for any snow or ice. G-Max.
7) PSS without a doubt exceeds Bridgestones.

Hope this helps.
It does help, thanks. Would you say the G-Maxs also meet the criteria for 1-7?
Old 05-02-2013, 11:30 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Regarding snow, do not use a summer only tire!!!

I ran the goodyear eagle F1 GS-D3 on my camaro. One late november, we got a dusting or snow (1/4" or less). I was 2 miles from the house. I literally had to crawl back in 1st gear. Anything more than 5-10 mph would have the car going sideways.

If having 2 sets of wheels doesn't work for you, go with the all season rubber.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:39 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
^ Couldnt agree more.

Im using the Pilot Super Sports as my summer tire, but once the temperatures drop below 40 degrees and its starts to be icy on a regular basis in the mornings, I put on my winter performance tires.

No summer tire is designed to handle even a light dusting of snow. If you want better cold weather performance and the ability to handle light snow or icy conditions, check out the michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.

They will be coming out within the next month and have beaten some summer tires in performance, but will give you better cold weather performance and light snow.

Check out these:
BMWBLOG Tests Michelin's New Category-Defying Rubber: Pilot Sport A/S 3 | BMW BLOG

Do a google search and read some of the early review and the comparisons.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by zdubin
It does help, thanks. Would you say the G-Maxs also meet the criteria for 1-7?
The G-Max are not bad tries at all. Especially for the cost. They seem to be wearing very well as far as treadwear. They are reasonably competent performance wise but they don't excel at anything other than rain grip. PSS beats the snot out of them hands down in every other category performance wise. As far as ice and snow, they will probably be OK but it doesn't freeze or snow here so I can't give you any indication of how well they'll do from experience.

To your question, when there is plenty of tread on them the Bridgestones will perform better in dry conditions than the G-Max. Once work or in the wet, the G-Max is as good as them or much better in wet traction. iot hink they meet your conditions. But the PSS is far better than they are in everything except wet traction. But they're not too far behind there either.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:45 PM
zdubin

Originally Posted by philter25
^ Couldnt agree more.

Im using the Pilot Super Sports as my summer tire, but once the temperatures drop below 40 degrees and its starts to be icy on a regular basis in the mornings, I put on my winter performance tires.

No summer tire is designed to handle even a light dusting of snow. If you want better cold weather performance and the ability to handle light snow or icy conditions, check out the michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.

They will be coming out within the next month and have beaten some summer tires in performance, but will give you better cold weather performance and light snow.

Check out these:
BMWBLOG Tests Michelin's New Category-Defying Rubber: Pilot Sport A/S 3 | BMW BLOG

Do a google search and read some of the early review and the comparisons.
Wow, the Pilot Sport A/S 3 look like exactly what I am looking for and they should be available about the time I need to switch. It also looks like they will be available in the stock sizes for the 19 " wheels.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:30 PM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by zdubin

These are my criteria for a replacement tire:

1) I want to maintain at least 90% of the grip the Bridgestone Summer tires provide in all conditions (above and below 50 degrees). Above 50 degrees, the Bridgestones really stick, below 50 degrees, they are just acceptable.
2) I want to substantially reduce the amount of the harsh ride, noise and vibrations that the current Bridgestone tire transmits
3) I would like the same cornering feel, or at least 90% the same feel
4) I want to reduce the tramlining, (the tendency of the car to shift left or right with bumps and rough roads)
5) Better wet performance than the OEM Bridgestones, they are barely adequate in the rain
6) The tires should be able to handle a dusting on snow, at low speeds (below 40 miles an hour). This is more of an option to use these tires if I am already driving, and it snows unexpectedly.
7) Light steering feel and responsiveness should be at least 90% of the current OEM Bridgestones.

It would be great if someone with experience with both tires could chime in and let me know all of the benefits and limitations of each tire. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You should go with the super sports and here are the reasons, it's exactly what you're looking for!

1. They grip better then the stock Bridgestones

2. They are very smooth and quit tires, the smoothest and most luxurious summer tire I have owned!

3. Cornering feel isngreat, they weigh less then the bridgestones so that means less unsprung weight.

4. From my experience, the car never shifted on the freeway, and I've driven all around SoCal, we have pretty bad highways.

5. This tire has the best wet grip! I canyoned my car when it was raining super hard, both times it has amazed me at the amount of grip in the wet, it's actually scary how well they hold.

6. I drove in snow below 40mph and VDC on and it was a little scary, but if you're good it should work. I really dont recommend it tho, no summer tire really works in snow.

7. Yes it is
Old 05-03-2013, 11:18 AM
zdubin

I want to thank everyone for their feedback, it was really helpful. I won't need these for a few months and wonder how much of a drop off in performance the Pilot Sport A/S 3 will have vs the Pilot Super Sport? If it's minimal, I would prefer the all season Pilot Sport A/S 3. The reviews so far state that the Pilot Sport A/S 3 are superior to a bunch of Summer only tires. See Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Tire Test - Evaluating All-Weather Performance Tires - WOT on Motor Trend for the comparison to other popular tires and here Michelin Sums Up the New Pilot Sport AS/3 by Spider Chart - Popular Mechanics for a graphical representation of the performance boost over the current PSAS+. It also looks like the 19 “ tire stock sizes will be available for this tire: Pilot Sport A/S 3 | Michelin Tires .
Old 05-03-2013, 06:30 PM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Wait for the new AS/3 .. I suspect you, or the car won't be able to over drive this new tire.. at least on the street and at any reasonable speeds..
Old 05-04-2013, 05:04 PM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
If you are going to use it in light snow, get the A/S3, I have heard great things about those tires. The Super Sports will definitely out handle the Pilot All Seasons, but the A/S3s are better than most summer tires.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:55 AM
kmchenry
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heres my question then. I have pss on the rear with about 60% tread left and bridgstones oem on the front need to replace the front really bad. damaged tire last year caused the diff setup. Should I go with the mich allsason on the front until the rears go? or get summer pss then switch to all season on the rear when the time comes?