Help new wheels triggering slip light

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:49 PM
SgtGoldy

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
new wheels triggering slip light

I purchased some Volk CE28Ns with 285/35/19 rear and 245/40/19 front. Is the size of my tires messing with the vdc? If so what tire size can i go with to remedy the situation?
Old 04-13-2013, 09:44 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Tire diameters are well within the 3% range, the worst case w/ your set is only .9% off. Is your VDC light on all the time or are you saying it's triggered more often than before?
If it just seems more sensitive when you're pushing the revs it could be your tires are a harder compound providing less grip.
It's definitely not your tire diameters causing the issue.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:03 PM
SgtGoldy

Its coming on around 3rd and 4th gear. When i let off it goes away.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:54 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by SgtGoldy
Its coming on around 3rd and 4th gear. When i let off it goes away.
I entered the oem S coupe tire sizes in the tire calculator compared to your new tires and everything seems fine in that regard. Just to be sure were you currently running
225/45WR19
245/40WR19
If so, something else is going on
Old 04-14-2013, 01:36 AM
SgtGoldy

I had 245 up front with 265 in the rear =/
Old 04-14-2013, 08:21 AM
Robert_K
Registered Member

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts
Drive with VDC off. Problem fixed. Can't believe people are driving with it on. It drives me up a wall when I forget to turn it off. I have it completely disable on my 350Z.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
It's not just size that matters for the VDC, it's weight as well....either reduction or added weight can set it off. I have also learned that adjusting a rear aftermarket sway bar to the stiffest setting will trigger the VDC quite a bit....why I have no idea, but when I changed it back to the middle setting the VDC doesn't even come on in the rain.

Rob has stated a fix that would solve the problem. Could always try changing the tire setup next time you need tires.

Wish Infiniti would just do away with the VDC, or make it so there's a switch to turn it on when wanted.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Robert_K
Registered Member

Weight of a wheel/tire and sway bars have ZERO influence on VDC. VDC is controlled by the vehicle's speed/wheel sensors and a module usually mounted in the center console to detect yaw. Since yaw is not a factor here we can rule that out.

Since new wheels/tires have been mounted it is possible that the rotation of the new set-up is spinning faster or slower than the parameters set in the ECU.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:54 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
I was speaking from personal expierence in regards to the saw bar. I realize the it has nothing to do with the vdc, but apparently the stiff setting on the sway bar was making my tires break loose all the time.

In regards to the wheel weight causing the vdc to activate, this came straight from the mouth of an Infiniti master tech when making idle conversation about wheels a few weeks ago....just what he said.

Sgtgoldy, did a little research for you. Apparently a faulty ABS wheel speed sensor can cause the VDC to activate frequently. There have been a bunch of documented problems I found where that was the cause.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Robert_K
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rad_Slinger
I was speaking from personal expierence in regards to the saw bar. I realize the it has nothing to do with the vdc, but apparently the stiff setting on the sway bar was making my tires break loose all the time.

In regards to the wheel weight causing the vdc to activate, this came straight from the mouth of an Infiniti master tech when making idle conversation about wheels a few weeks ago....just what he said.

Sgtgoldy, did a little research for you. Apparently a faulty ABS wheel speed sensor can cause the VDC to activate frequently. There have been a bunch of documented problems I found where that was the cause.
Your sway-bar doesn't make your wheels break loose as it decreases body roll. Now if your tire is spinning because it is up in the air while taking a turn at a very aggressive speed, like on an auto-x or HPDE track, I can understand. But than why are you driving with VDC on driving that aggressively?

And you "Master Tech" is wrong. I also have attended Nissan/Infiniti training and wheel weight cannot effect the the sensor. Now if he is trying to say that do the a light wheel/tire combo it doesn't take as much power to spin the wheels that is true. But for the instance in the OP first post, weight has no factor.

Again... Turn VDC off and you won't have these problems.