Hankook V12 again or something better???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 11:40 PM
BLAIR'N G372012

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
I know guys were talking Toyo yet Nitto...
I ran Nitto on my GTO and loved them. Bad part was they ran down quick. Soft compound. Toyo I've read good things on them as well though still pricy!
I do agree with Omega though too camber play is some times a pain in the ****! Keep spilling $600 just for the rears each time.
When I get my Vossens in i'll run Nitto NT555's during the summer and switch to my stocks in the winter.
I'm in CA though just gets wet here where I'm at... no snow since 1993? Lol

Any thoughts on Perelli?
Old 04-05-2013, 02:46 AM
blackvr4tt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by OMEGA46
Noticeable and annoying... Slow to respond, low grip from my experience.. I dont mean to knock the tire as I know many buy them due to their value, but it isn't something I would want to drive on.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but saying the Hankook V12s are low grip is a stretch.
We are talking about the Max Performance Summer category and according to the Tire Rack surveys the top 5 tires are:

1. Michelin Pilot Super Sport $328
2. Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position $282
3. Michelin Pilot PS2 $385
4. ContinentaL Extreme Contact $225
5. Hankook Evo v12 $217

These are all excellent tires IMO. But once again it comes down to value. The Michelin is 66% more expensive than the Hankook but are only moderately better in performance and treadwear. Some of us have camber issues so we go through tires quickly. So a $1300+ set of Michelins might not be the best way you can spend your money.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:00 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tomro99
Thanks again for the input guys. 6mt, that really helped. Checked tire rack and you guys weren't kidding. The reviews are almost perfect. Since id be going with the same sizes, it would come out to $1224 before shipping. Is tire rack my best best? thanks again dudes
You could try American Tire Depot, sometimes they are cheaper and if they are not, they will match the cheapest price you find.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:22 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by blackvr4tt
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but saying the Hankook V12s are low grip is a stretch.
We are talking about the Max Performance Summer category and according to the Tire Rack surveys the top 5 tires are:

5. Hankook Evo v12 $217

These are all excellent tires IMO. But once again it comes down to value. The Michelin is 66% more expensive than the Hankook but are only moderately better in performance and treadwear. Some of us have camber issues so we go through tires quickly. So a $1300+ set of Michelins might not be the best way you can spend your money.
They are not only moderately better, the Pilot Super Sports are much better then the v12s. The stock RE050As are also better then the v12s. But for people with camber wear issues, it is probably a great tire since its very cheap. Only if Sumitomos came in more sizes, they are cheaper and handle better then the v12s.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:17 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Here we go again...guys. This is a subjective topic. I can't justify spending $1400 on a set of tires for street use. Someone else can. At the end of the day, it depends on your budget and your goals. If money was not an issue, I would get the best performer I could. Since money IS an issue, I can't go buck wild on spending $1400 on a set of summer tires. So I go for the best performer FOR THE MONEY. With that said, yes PSS are "the best tire you can buy" but it's surely not the best for the money. How many people can honestly say they use the full potential of a tire on the street? If you are, you're driving recklessly. Track is a different story. So at the end of the day, the OP needs to decide if he can drop $1400 on a set of tires, or if he is only able to drop $800 on a set of tires. I don't know about you, but $600 is quite the margin.

And the safety card for summer tires is BS. Winter...different story. Again, if you're not driving like an a$$hole, you will be fine with any summer tire. NVH, comfort, treadlife, wet/dry traction...obviously that all plays a factor in your tire buying decision. That's why sites like tirerack with their reviews are great. You get to read a variety of pros and cons for each tire along with ratings and you can make the decision on your own. But I know everyone will go on and on about why this tire is better than that tire and that safety should't be compromised and blah blah blah.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jjasonSU
Rears - 275- 30-20
I had the sunmitomos from tire rack. They lasted 19k miles (camber wear) $180 each.
Now I have generals from TireRack so we will see

How did the Sumitomo's handle? Were they decent in dry and wet handling?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts
Something that I gathered last year when researching tires was that most users who purchased V12s mentioned wheel spin and slip despite upsizing from 245 to 275. This was the key reason why I ruled out the V12s.

The V12s had a lot going for them, quiet, low cost, soft sidewalls (for cruising comfort). Other tires offered a lot more though, superior dry and wet grip, longer life, consistent feel once you start sliding.

The Bridgestone R050a and Michelin PSS wear a lot better and grip well both in wet and dry. Tires are the cheapest handling upgrade, an extra few hundred every 3-4 years seems more appealing that a chasing down suspension upgrades beyond the norm.

I found a set of OEM tires from a 2011 370z Nismo (245/40/19 front, 275/35/9 rear) that had double digit milage and got them for $800 Can't wait to put them back on this year!
Old 04-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Collin_95

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the V12's on my 05 mustang, dry traction is really good, but when the Tarmac is wet it slides like crazy. Yes it's not about a g37 coupe but I would go with the PSS like everyone else says. Those will be the next sets I put on my G37
Old 04-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Collin_95

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

5. Hankook Evo v12 $217

I currently have the Pole Position's on, I think they are worth what they are rated and priced at
Old 04-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Fentress24

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 245/275 Hankook V12's perform on par with the smaller stock potenza's. As they wear down I give the advantage to the Potenza's. But for the price I dont think you can really beat the V12's. Now on my summer wheels I went with 245/35/20 and 275/30/20 Hankook's and they ride like crap. They are loud and rough. Obviously this is a tinner tire so it is to be expected, but I will try to go another route for my summer wheels next time to see how Toyo or Nitto perform.

If you are ballin go PSS, if not V12's are perfectly fine and perform well enough while keeping comfort for a reliable DD.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:58 PM
tomro99

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
right on. thanks for all the help guys. Fortunately, my tax return was quite nice so I will go with the Michelins. I do not track my G, but I do drive it pretty hard. I do take corners pretty hard as well. Like I said, the v12's lasted me almost 2 years but I am willing to experiment with something new. Most have been saying the PSS have better tire life and traction as well (both dry and wet conditions) so I am willing to try those out. Thanks for the help guys. I will update this thread when I throw them on. Also thinking of getting hotchkis sways with the new tires as well. Should be nice =]
Old 04-05-2013, 08:12 PM
sydnrusty
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
i'm going to need new tires this summer as well. one of the reasons i'm seriously considering getting the hankook v12's is that they can be rotated side-to-side. i'm only dropped on eibach pk springs but there is a bit of camber wear on my current oem tires.

am i misguided in my reasoning that i could squeeze a bit more life out of tires i can rotate side-to-side?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:42 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but saying the Hankook V12s are low grip is a stretch..
I agree. I tracked on several sizes of the V12s. In dry, they perform better than they're worth and not once was i afraid they'd fail on me at the extremes.

At mid to full tread depth, they also work beautifully in wet. But, like any tire out there, the moment it goes below 5/32, be careful with it.

OP, look into the Continental DW. Take older reviews with a grain of salt, they've updated all the newer ones to be XL-rated and have significantly stiffer sidewalls than the earlier versions of it.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:19 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Ive tried the evo's and the pss. The pss has better traction, the evo's are a little soft in the sidewall for me. Love my nitto nt-05. You will lose a bit of tread life, but man are they fun. Compared to the pss, your looking at about 5k less miles, but a lot less money and more traction imo.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:13 AM
amt120

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's hard to compare the V12s to the PSS, I don't think they're even considered in the same category when it comes to comparisons. PSS are strictly performance oriented. They wear quickly. V12s are a hybrid between economy and performance. Depending on your driving style, it will generally last longer than the PSS. But Michelin PSS's are hands down one of the best performance tires you can get for the car.

Quick Reply: Hankook V12 again or something better???