Which All-Seasons??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 02:42 PM
xceebeex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which All-Seasons??

I am going to be needing new tires before next winter for sure so I have been shopping for some new tires. Right now I only have one set of wheels so I don't plan to have a dedicated winter setup at the moment, so I want some decent all-seasons.

I live in upstate NY so we can get quite a bit of snow, so I would want something decent in the snow.

Right now I have it narrowed down to two tires:
1) Continental DWS
2) General GMax AS-03

I can get the Generals, if I ordered before March 19th, for $615 shipped, plus their $50 prepaid gift card for buying a set of 4. The Continentals are about $120 more than the Generals.

The only thing that has me slightly concerned is that the ratings on Tirerack have the General as a pretty decent amount worse than the DWS in the snow. Thoughts?

Is there other tires I should be looking at? BTW, this is for a X Sedan.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:58 PM
ZenZiglar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the DWS. From what I read, others had recommended them for our car. I've had them for a month, and driven through some rain, and a little snow. They perform well, and the road noise is quite limited. My only complaint is the soft side wall. It feels like a lot of body roll with these tires.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:45 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
I'm liking my Toyo Proxes 4 Plus a lot, best A/S tires I've had. Haven't had them in the snow yet though Great dry & wet performance and the price, treadwear and speed rating are tops
Old 03-18-2013, 10:40 PM
xceebeex

Originally Posted by blnewt
I'm liking my Toyo Proxes 4 Plus a lot, best A/S tires I've had. Haven't had them in the snow yet though Great dry & wet performance and the price, treadwear and speed rating are tops
Hmm, those Toyo's don't look too bad either. I found them for about the same price as the General's (other than the $50 rebate on the General's). I might have to look in to them a bit more. Back when I had my Z28 I had the Toyo Proxes 4 (not the 4 Plus), and I LOVED those tires.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:35 PM
nukee26

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by xceebeex
I am going to be needing new tires before next winter for sure so I have been shopping for some new tires. Right now I only have one set of wheels so I don't plan to have a dedicated winter setup at the moment, so I want some decent all-seasons.

I live in upstate NY so we can get quite a bit of snow, so I would want something decent in the snow.

Right now I have it narrowed down to two tires:
1) Continental DWS
2) General GMax AS-03

I can get the Generals, if I ordered before March 19th, for $615 shipped, plus their $50 prepaid gift card for buying a set of 4. The Continentals are about $120 more than the Generals.

The only thing that has me slightly concerned is that the ratings on Tirerack have the General as a pretty decent amount worse than the DWS in the snow. Thoughts?

Is there other tires I should be looking at? BTW, this is for a X Sedan.
I've got the Continental DWS tires on my "winter" wheels. Dry and wet performance is fantastic. Snow is pretty good, nothing to write home about. Though I might have been spoiled with my 4WD Durango that had BFGoodrich All-Terrains (I do miss it this time of year).
Old 03-18-2013, 11:35 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Hmm, those Toyo's don't look too bad either. I found them for about the same price as the General's (other than the $50 rebate on the General's). I might have to look in to them a bit more. Back when I had my Z28 I had the Toyo Proxes 4 (not the 4 Plus), and I LOVED those tires.
Treadepot is where I got mine, they're a sponsor here (if you weren't aware), ask for Andrew & mention my G37.com for even better deals
PROXES 4 PLUS Tires by Toyo - Buy PROXES 4 PLUS Online | Tread Depot
Here's a pretty good review on the Toyos too
:MoparMax: Product Review - Toyo Proxes 4 Plus Ultra-High Performance All-Season Tire - 8/2/2012
Old 03-18-2013, 11:37 PM
xceebeex

Treadepot is where I got mine, they're a sponsor here (if you weren't aware), ask for Andrew & mention my G37.com for even better deals
PROXES 4 PLUS Tires by Toyo - Buy PROXES 4 PLUS Online | Tread Depot
Here's a pretty good review on the Toyos too
:MoparMax: Product Review - Toyo Proxes 4 Plus Ultra-High Performance All-Season Tire - 8/2/2012
Yea, tread depot is where I found that price that I mentioned. I didn't realize they were a sponsor here. Can he be PMed or do I need to call a particular number?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:12 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Yea, tread depot is where I found that price that I mentioned. I didn't realize they were a sponsor here. Can he be PMed or do I need to call a particular number?
Just call the number on Treadepots' web page and ask for Andrew.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:02 PM
xceebeex

Just call the number on Treadepots' web page and ask for Andrew.
Alrighty, maybe I will give that a try and see what sort of deal he can come up with for me.

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:10 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
OP tires you have selected are all Junk and out of date!!

Best A/S tires are the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.. Trust me you will want to wait for them!!

Pilot Sport A/S 3 | Michelin Tires

Old 03-19-2013, 12:56 PM
rza2042

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Had the DWS on my previous car (Accord) and really liked them. I wouldn't hesitate to put them on my G when it's time. Can't really beat the price, IMO.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:01 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by GTLAW

Best A/S tires are the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.. Trust me you will want to wait for them!!

The Toyos I mentioned just came out 6 months ago, definitely not junk, not sure if you were referring to them though
Old 03-19-2013, 02:09 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
The Toyos I mentioned just came out 6 months ago, definitely not junk, not sure if you were referring to them though
I was talking about the first 2 listed. I would not buy Toyo but if price is an issue then you may not want to the A/S 3.. As they have already been tested and are rated over every A.S tire out there!

I would have gotten them if I needed snow traction, but I went with PSS for the best summer tires money can buy right now.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:03 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

As they have already been tested and are rated over every A.S tire out there!

I would have gotten them if I needed snow traction, but I went with PSS for the best summer tires money can buy right now.
I haven't seen the new Toyos comparison tested w/ other A/S tires, it seems like new tires take about a year before they get the full treatment, probably just the timing of their debut.
At any rate, you'll get no argument about the PSS, simply the best all around summer tire available.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:34 PM
xceebeex

What are the prices for those? I don't want to spend too much for a tire that is only marginally better in the snow when it doesn't snow every day. Do they even make them in 225/50/18?

Quick Reply: Which All-Seasons??