Best Tire Size for Stock Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,652 Likes on 3,479 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
sorry, i was thinking of my own sedan with coupe wheels. so are there any negative effects of wider wheels in the front than the rear?
Conventional wisdom would say so, but conventional wisdom is not to be trusted. That, and the Pontiac Grand Prix GXP had front-staggered rims... although I suspect that had more straight-line purpose than anything else.

IDK, really. Good, academic question. Someone will spend 20 minutes with Google and report back, I'm sure.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:11 PM
oliveview

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
By actual rotation, he must mean dismounting all four tires from the rims and re-mounting & balancing them front to back. Since few people have free access to such equipment, that seems counter-productive to the budget priority of maximizing tread life. But yes, if the tires were all the same size, you theoretically could rotate them, even on staggered rims. Not that I would do it.

And Sniper, the staggered OEM rims on oliveview's RWD-Sport Sedan are 7.5" wide in the front, 8.5" wide in the rear.
Yes. Sorry. I'm talking about removing the tires and rotating just those. Not moving the wheels, obviously.

Discount Tire will do it for free. They always have. Just like they will patch a punctured tire, for free. They rock! They're one of the best companies (in any line of business) I have ever dealt with, and I will always take my new tire business to them.

I tend to get on the rears a little, being that the car can over-steer so nicely. So, I'm running the back smooth, but the fronts have tons of life left. If it didn't diminish the performance to have slightly wide tires in front, I'd rather be able to do that. But if no one here is running theirs that way, then I'm not likely going to be able to get empirical responses.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,652 Likes on 3,479 Posts
Originally Posted by oliveview
Discount Tire will do it for free. They always have.
Hmm. That's about $25/corner at my dealership. Or another way to look at it, $200+ year when doing it twice.

But if no one here is running theirs that way, then I'm not likely going to be able to get empirical responses.
Not so. There are people here who stretch snow tires to fit the 8.5" rears, because most standard Snow & Ice tires don't come in the OEM size for our 18" rears. At least, that's how I remember the conversations. To your point, does anyone go the *other* way, which is put larger tires on the 7.5" wide rims? That I don't know. But I'm 100% sure people have but the smaller tires on the wider 8.5" rims.

So you can do that, I suppose.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:07 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ yup, i have 225s on the staggered rears for my 2nd set of winter wheels/tires, with no problem. lots of rim protector showing so the "stretch" is very minimal. can hardly tell the difference. it looks just like what the OE coupe setup was on the G35 front 19" sport rims. those OE tires were undersized (width) by 1/2" as well.

as for 245s on the 7.5" fronts, it would bulge a little bit, but likely not a lot. i'm sure someone has done it. my only concern with a bit of bulge on the fronts is that it could lead to softer turn-in response. that might be a factor to consider, especially considering it's the fronts that oliveview is talking about now.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:53 PM
oliveview

Originally Posted by Rochester
Hmm. That's about $25/corner at my dealership. Or another way to look at it, $200+ year when doing it twice.

Not so. There are people here who stretch snow tires to fit the 8.5" rears, because most standard Snow & Ice tires don't come in the OEM size for our 18" rears. At least, that's how I remember the conversations. To your point, does anyone go the *other* way, which is put larger tires on the 7.5" wide rims? That I don't know. But I'm 100% sure people have but the smaller tires on the wider 8.5" rims.

So you can do that, I suppose.
I'm telling you, at least out here in SoCal, Discount Tire (technically, I think they're called America's Tire now...) is just remarkable. I have used them for the past 20+ years, without fail. They have always been great. Regardless of what tires I get to replace the current ones on the G, it'll certainly be from them.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:55 PM
oliveview

Originally Posted by canucklehead
^ yup, i have 225s on the staggered rears for my 2nd set of winter wheels/tires, with no problem. lots of rim protector showing so the "stretch" is very minimal. can hardly tell the difference. it looks just like what the OE coupe setup was on the G35 front 19" sport rims. those OE tires were undersized (width) by 1/2" as well.

as for 245s on the 7.5" fronts, it would bulge a little bit, but likely not a lot. i'm sure someone has done it. my only concern with a bit of bulge on the fronts is that it could lead to softer turn-in response. that might be a factor to consider, especially considering it's the fronts that oliveview is talking about now.
Wow. I would be freaked to run a more narrow tire on the rear. As it is, I think it's already too narrow, and we have a little superficial damage to the rims from curbs.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:40 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I'm telling you, at least out here in SoCal, Discount Tire (technically, I think they're called America's Tire now...) is just remarkable. I have used them for the past 20+ years, without fail. They have always been great. Regardless of what tires I get to replace the current ones on the G, it'll certainly be from them.
Do they still do free rotations? Last I went to America's tire, they charge for rotations now. And that's just rotating the entire wheel, not dismounting and mounting tires.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:55 PM
drive6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally think that taking the tires on and off the rims for rotation is for the birds. It's expensive in most places (perhaps except SoCal - had a flat on a rental repaired there for $25 last spring, less than a drink in the bar in LA! Would have been at least double that anywhere else). If you drive your car like it should be driven you'll probably wear the tires down long before they go uneven.

Not to mention that someone is likely to muck up your rims in the shop when they pry the tires off and chip off the wheel weights with a screwdriver and hammer...

I'm pretty sure the reason for staggered tires is so the car handles properly and oversteers just the right amount. Best to leave the RWD staggered setup as-is or pretty close.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:23 PM
oliveview

Originally Posted by sniper27
Do they still do free rotations? Last I went to America's tire, they charge for rotations now. And that's just rotating the entire wheel, not dismounting and mounting tires.
Really? It's been a few years since, but not super long since I had that done, gratis. But certainly, things can change. Even if they charged, it would hardly sway me from still going there to have them do it.

I did have them patch a tire about six-months ago. Totally free, and they took the tire off to do a high-quality patch from the inside.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:27 PM
oliveview

Originally Posted by drive6MT
I personally think that taking the tires on and off the rims for rotation is for the birds. It's expensive in most places (perhaps except SoCal - had a flat on a rental repaired there for $25 last spring, less than a drink in the bar in LA! Would have been at least double that anywhere else). If you drive your car like it should be driven you'll probably wear the tires down long before they go uneven.

Not to mention that someone is likely to muck up your rims in the shop when they pry the tires off and chip off the wheel weights with a screwdriver and hammer...

I'm pretty sure the reason for staggered tires is so the car handles properly and oversteers just the right amount. Best to leave the RWD staggered setup as-is or pretty close.
No. You're missing my point. It's not a inside/outside tread wear issue. It's the fact that I like to drive the car with a little steering from the rear, so to speak. So, the back wheels are going to be shot soon, but the fronts are looking great. If they were all the same size tire, it would be simple to rotate front to back, and get thousands more miles before I had to spend on new shoes.

But, most important to me, is having the car perform as designed, and so if that means keeping the staggered tire dimensions, to go with the staggered rime dimensions. That's just fine.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:40 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Wow. I would be freaked to run a more narrow tire on the rear. As it is, I think it's already too narrow, and we have a little superficial damage to the rims from curbs.
in the winter a narrower tire is beneficial for contact pressure, within reason. and a suitable tire is one with a healthy rim protector strip. the Conti DWS come with a great one. even on the 225, it provides much more protection than the 245 tire that was on there before. every tire has different cross sectional properties.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:47 PM
oliveview

Originally Posted by canucklehead
in the winter a narrower tire is beneficial for contact pressure, within reason. and a suitable tire is one with a healthy rim protector strip. the Conti DWS come with a great one. even on the 225, it provides much more protection than the 245 tire that was on there before. every tire has different cross sectional properties.
Now that's a fantastic point, about the protector! The OEM rears have nothing, hence our minor chips, which wouldn't be there at all if there was a slight lip on that those tires. I'll have to explore that when it's time to re-shod the thing.

And thanks for the quick education on winter tires. Being a SoCal native, weather has never been something I've had to worry about.