To spacer or not....?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:16 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 152 Likes on 125 Posts

You guys crack me up!

I'm only looking for replacement tires for the stock wheels when the time is needed.
If I was in the market for an aftermarket wheels upgrade, I would be going with Ultra Performance Summer Tires and have some dedicated Winter Tires installed on the stock rims.

I'm on a current lease for 3.3 years and not sure if I'm going to buy out or not.
I won't be doing any serious modding and will be keeping things simple without digging a huge hole in my pocket.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by dragion

You guys crack me up!

I'm only looking for replacement tires for the stock wheels when the time is needed.
If I was in the market for an aftermarket wheels upgrade, I would be going with Ultra Performance Summer Tires and have some dedicated Winter Tires installed on the stock rims.

I'm on a current lease for 3.3 years and not sure if I'm going to buy out or not.
I won't be doing any serious modding and will be keeping things simple without digging a huge hole in my pocket.
I didn't know you were renting. That certainly impacts what you do with the car, always with an eye for un-doing it. It also factors into how much you spend on tires, that you'll never fully realize the value out of when returned with the car.

As for Newt... he has a thick skin, and there's likely little I could say to rub him wrong. No chill pill needed.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:27 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I didn't know you were renting. That certainly impacts what you do with the car, always with an eye for un-doing it. It also factors into how much you spend on tires, that you'll never fully realize the value out of when returned with the car.

As for Newt... he has a thick skin, and there's likely little I could say to rub him wrong. No chill pill needed.
I know you guys are just having fun...
Just playing along...I don't mind.

I'm mostly going to finish up the lease and pay it off, since I love this car...not set in stone though.
It really depends on the outlook of the new Q50.
If it is really that much more superior to the current G, then back this G goes.

As for now, applying simple bolt on mods and just enjoying the ride for now...after the lease's end I will be upgrading the wheels.

Now back to the regular scheduled topic...
Old 03-14-2013, 04:34 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Remember as you age your skin gets thinner (and a bit brittle) so just watch it buster! I know exactly what you're saying regarding grippy summer treads vs tires that are a compromise. I don't track my car (if there was a track in a reasonable drive I would however) and have taken these Toyos at some non-forum printable speeds and they've done all I've asked from them. I don't need tires that will stick like Drag radials or even PSS and don't really want to invest in new treads every 12k miles. Believe me (even though I doubt you will, lol) these Toyos have outstanding dry & wet performance. Ok, time to step in to the walk-in fridge and start chillin'
It's all good J, u know that
Plus I truly appreciate your insightful replies.
Sorry Dragion, another one of your threads totally sideswiped
Old 03-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
It's all good J, u know that
I do know that, B.

I'll be putting my OEM Bridgestone RE050A back on the front for one last season, and a brand new set of wider (ridiculously expensive) Micheline Pilot Super Sports in the rear, all in about 10 days. Can't wait to get these snow tires off my car and get back to driving in a way that doesn't have the TC light flash at me all the time. (And Newt, of course you know what's going to happen a few weeks after the summer tires. )

Was out in the garage again this afternoon, obsessing over this spacer idea here. Still no conclusion, but it has certainly got under my skin. My old, thin skin, LOL.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:55 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
While I understand the fact that a summer UHP will be superior to an ASUHP, I also consider the trade off. With a summer UHP, generally, you get a noisier and more uncomfortable ride. I'm not sure what situation the OP is in, but at least for me, I don't track the car or participate in any sort racing type driving. With the performance of the Toyo Proxes 4 plus, I'm sure I won't miss the performance difference when compared to a summer UHP. I am willing to give up some performance statistics, since I most likely won't notice them with my driving condition, for more comfort. Blnewt has been very informative with the Toyo's, and after further reading reviews of the Toyos, I'm pretty convinced I will be replacing my tires with them.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by sniper27
since I most likely won't notice them with my driving condition
That's a whole lot of assumption, Sniper. And with that reasoning in mind, why did you bother installing Stillen Swaybars last summer?

Here's the thing, everything you do to tweak the suspension and handling characteristics of the car will be appreciated every time you drive it, not just when you're driving *****-2-the-walls, and not just "at the track" (sic)

And to that end, UHP summer-only tires are the best handling mod you can apply to any car.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:35 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I guess I feel the swaybars more. With the heavy floating feeling of the non sport rwd G, the swaybars help in the freeway offramps and even in the curvy highways. However, my experience is that the superior handling of the summer UHP is not as noticeable for me compare to a great ASUHP. This is why I say I am willing to trade off some of the superior handling traits for more comfort. I actually have summer UHP now and I experience more tramlining and twitchy steering compared to the ASUHP on the M35.

Remember, I'm not debating that summer UHP are superior over ASUHP. I'm merely stating that for me, and possibly others, the benefits does not outweigh the tradeoff in comfort.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by sniper27
Remember, I'm not debating that summer UHP are superior over ASUHP. I'm merely stating that for me, and possibly others, the benefits does not outweigh the tradeoff in comfort.
Fair enough, Sniper. All that came to mind was your sways. I don't recall your suspension setup (OEM, aftermarket, sport, non-sport, etc.)

I tend to roll my eyes when I read people say "I don't track the car" as rationalization in this context. Nothing personal at all. Just promoting my automotive values as you're defending yours. As I'm sure you agree, there's no particular right or wrong, just different writing styles.

What are we talking about again?

Last edited by Rochester; 03-14-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:56 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

What are we talking about again?
Coffee, or lack thereof
Old 03-14-2013, 11:39 PM
dragion
Registered Member

S-P-A-C-E-R-S

Name:  IMAG0503_zpseac24647.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  61.4 KB

Old 03-15-2013, 07:58 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

S-P-A-C-E-R-S

OOps, my bad, starting right now, I promise not to sidetrack any more of your threads *

*unless thread is veered off course by some other inconsiderate dolt first
Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
unless thread is veered off course by some other inconsiderate dolt first
Any other tires I should consider?
Just saying. Following the OP's lead.

But yeah, I'm done with tire talk, too.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:31 PM
RiceHead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for this thread - very informative, especially for us too broke to get aftermarket wheels with better offsets (like me)!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:57 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
nice.. good info on the alignment

Quick Reply: To spacer or not....?