The OFFICIAL "I have a wheel offset / tire fitment question!" thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 09:53 AM
kushlorddank
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Getting started

Hey everyone,

I'm new here. I've got a 2013 G37x sedan, completely stock, and I really want to started modding it. I figured wheels and tires would probably be the best first mod in terms of performance and aesthetics, so I've been doing research …

I currently have the stock 225/45/R17 Goodyear all-season tires and stock 17x7.5 rims with +43 offset.
I'd like to upgrade to 18" wheels because I think that's probably the performance sweet spot and 19" wheels might look bad on the x sedan without a drop (I'd love to drop it but I'm not sure when/if that will happen because I'd wanna do it right with the camber kits and everything and that's gonna be another huge expense).
So, I've been using the tire calculator and it seems pretty self-explanatory; I could go 255/35 and those would be the same, or I could go 245/35 and they'd be <1% smaller (I'm planning on doing the square setup because it's AWD).
Then I get to the rims, though, and I know I need the 5x114.3 bolt pattern, so I search for those … there's a width measurement and an offset measurement, but I can't really figure out if the rims would be appropriate by using the calculator. It just tells me "15 mm less clearance" or something along those lines -- but I don't know the significance of that -- how do I know if they will still fit?
Should I decide on a tire width I want and then try to find rims that fit, or the other way around? Is there a site you recommend where I can just browse through rims that would work? Also, what's the deal with the tire pressure monitoring system? This was something I never even thought about until I saw some people mentioning it on the forums here. Do I have to buy new ones for the new tires or something?

Sorry if this isn't the correct place to post these questions. Thanks for your patience!
Old 08-19-2018, 12:15 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by kushlorddank
Hey everyone,

I'm new here. I've got a 2013 G37x sedan, completely stock, and I really want to started modding it. I figured wheels and tires would probably be the best first mod in terms of performance and aesthetics, so I've been doing research …

I currently have the stock 225/45/R17 Goodyear all-season tires and stock 17x7.5 rims with +43 offset.
I'd like to upgrade to 18" wheels because I think that's probably the performance sweet spot and 19" wheels might look bad on the x sedan without a drop (I'd love to drop it but I'm not sure when/if that will happen because I'd wanna do it right with the camber kits and everything and that's gonna be another huge expense).
So, I've been using the tire calculator and it seems pretty self-explanatory; I could go 255/35 and those would be the same, or I could go 245/35 and they'd be <1% smaller (I'm planning on doing the square setup because it's AWD).
Then I get to the rims, though, and I know I need the 5x114.3 bolt pattern, so I search for those … there's a width measurement and an offset measurement, but I can't really figure out if the rims would be appropriate by using the calculator. It just tells me "15 mm less clearance" or something along those lines -- but I don't know the significance of that -- how do I know if they will still fit?
Should I decide on a tire width I want and then try to find rims that fit, or the other way around? Is there a site you recommend where I can just browse through rims that would work? Also, what's the deal with the tire pressure monitoring system? This was something I never even thought about until I saw some people mentioning it on the forums here. Do I have to buy new ones for the new tires or something?

Sorry if this isn't the correct place to post these questions. Thanks for your patience!
Here's a good wheel width and offset calculator that will tell you how much difference wider wheels will make in terms of inner and outer clearance.

https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

I'd suggest 255/35/18 on a 18x8 or 18x8.5 wheel. The wider wheels will push the outer position out more, but most prefer that "flush" look over the tucked stock look.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:40 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
255/45/18 would be closest to your oem diameter if you plan to run 8.5 to 9" width 18s, 35 series is pretty short.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:47 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
255/45/18 would be closest to your oem diameter if you plan to run 8.5 to 9" width 18s, 35 series is pretty short.
Yes this. I sell my car and a month later I forget the OEM tire size. Lol
Old 08-19-2018, 07:50 PM
iddqd
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Hey all! I recently saw nismo wheels here and was wondering on the best way to get them to fit my coupe. I'm running 225/45-R19 Front and 240/40-R19 rear and am not lowered. The wheels I'm interested in are here: https://www.z1motorsports.com/wheel-...14-p-9611.html

They are front: 19x9.5 +40 and rear 19x10.5 +23. Would I need wheels spacers to make it work?

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-19-2018, 09:13 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by iddqd
Hey all! I recently saw nismo wheels here and was wondering on the best way to get them to fit my coupe. I'm running 225/45-R19 Front and 240/40-R19 rear and am not lowered. The wheels I'm interested in are here: https://www.z1motorsports.com/wheel-...14-p-9611.html

They are front: 19x9.5 +40 and rear 19x10.5 +23. Would I need wheels spacers to make it work?

Thanks for your help!
You would probably want spacers in front to get a similar fit to the aggressive rear set, something like a 20mm, and the rear wheel edges will be poking outside the fenders, but w/ a stretch 245 (or a better mount 255/40) the tires will tuck into the fender well. May have to trim rear bumper bracket as that can be an issue for low offset, wider wheels out back.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:19 PM
iddqd
Registered Member

Thanks blnewt for the info. Maybe I'll stick to other mods until it's time for new tires so I can pair them and wheels together. I still haven't put 2k miles on these Bridgestone S-04s yet.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:12 PM
goldbug
Premier Member

Received 168 Likes on 110 Posts
Will be placing an order for some Work T5R's soon, just would like a second opinion on the offset and any rubbing I might encounter with coilovers installed also. I have a G37S manual coupe and my G will be dropped on Tein Flex Z coils with a mild drop for reference. New wheels will be 19x9.5 +25 front and 19x10.5 +25 rear, with planned 245/40/19 and 275/35/19 tires since i don't want a stretch and want to be able to drive it hard occasionally still. I started reading through the pages and got to 20 something before I realized I couldn't read through all 154 so i thought I'd just add to the list. There is another offset available just for the front (+35) and just for the rear (+15) but after creeping in the forum it seems like +35 runs a little weak up front on the coupes and most people use a 10 mil spacer in addition to make it more flush, and the +15 in the rear seems like it might poke out a little too far and rub the fenders with coils installed. I don't plan on or want to run spacers at all with this setup also. Appreciate any input and thanks in advance to blnewt for the insane amount of helpful replies you've posted here!
Old 08-20-2018, 05:13 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

You'll be fine in front, back wheel edge will be poking outside the fender edge but a 275 mount will tuck just inside the fender edge, you will probably need to trim the rear bumper bracket and the fender liner will rub for awhile, but eventually wears enough that it's typically a short-lived problem. A little extra camber in back will help w/ that too!
The following users liked this post:
goldbug (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 07:17 PM
goldbug
Premier Member

You'll be fine in front, back wheel edge will be poking outside the fender edge but a 275 mount will tuck just inside the fender edge, you will probably need to trim the rear bumper bracket and the fender liner will rub for awhile, but eventually wears enough that it's typically a short-lived problem. A little extra camber in back will help w/ that too!
Needed to hear that, thanks a ton blnewt!! I'll be running front & rear camber kits and will definitely run with some extra camber in the rear like you're saying and trim the bumper bracket. I was thinking about running a 265 in the rear to add a little clearance around the fender, but wasn't sure if I'd need to drop to a 35/30 tire profile setup or if the 40/35 setup would still be advised since I'll be doing some events and driving it hard occasionally. Thoughts? Not experienced with stretched tire setups at all honestly (yet) so I appreciate the help.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:59 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by FAULKENSTEIN
Needed to hear that, thanks a ton blnewt!! I'll be running front & rear camber kits and will definitely run with some extra camber in the rear like you're saying and trim the bumper bracket. I was thinking about running a 265 in the rear to add a little clearance around the fender, but wasn't sure if I'd need to drop to a 35/30 tire profile setup or if the 40/35 setup would still be advised since I'll be doing some events and driving it hard occasionally. Thoughts? Not experienced with stretched tire setups at all honestly (yet) so I appreciate the help.
You can run 265s, main problem is the selection in that size isn't that great. If they have the tires you want in that size then not a problem running them. There are quite a few that run 255s on 10.5s, that's stretching quite a bit but a stretched tire is more stable at the sidewall (within reason) vs a pinched mount (wide tire on narrow wheel). A 265 would allow you to run spec camber and probably not have to deal w/ that bracket, but YMMV
Here's a couple pics of 20x10.5 +25s on 275s (front & rear)
https://www.myg37.com/forums/attachm...psjxbhzvme.jpg
https://www.myg37.com/forums/attachm...3&d=1501266076
The following users liked this post:
goldbug (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 01:39 PM
goldbug
Premier Member

You can run 265s, main problem is the selection in that size isn't that great. If they have the tires you want in that size then not a problem running them. There are quite a few that run 255s on 10.5s, that's stretching quite a bit but a stretched tire is more stable at the sidewall (within reason) vs a pinched mount (wide tire on narrow wheel). A 265 would allow you to run spec camber and probably not have to deal w/ that bracket, but YMMV
Here's a couple pics of 20x10.5 +25s on 275s (front & rear)
https://www.myg37.com/forums/attachm...psjxbhzvme.jpg
https://www.myg37.com/forums/attachm...3&d=1501266076
Thanks for the info! Will the 265's need to be on a 30 profile w/ a 245/35/19 up front? I want to run Michelin PSS's but looked at a few sizes already and realized they don't make them so it's fine if I need to go with another brand.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:44 PM
iddqd
Registered Member

Good news! I found someone local to swap tires plus my oem wheels for his gunmetal nismos plus cash. I never see them for sale used. I jumped on it and hopefully will have them tomorrow!
Old 08-21-2018, 05:17 PM
kushlorddank
Registered Member

Awesome, thanks! So let's say the wheels I type in return "Outer Position: EXTEND an extra 26 mm" using this calculator. Should I just go out to my car with a ruler and try to see if it'll fit? Or are the dimensions and limits for rubbing already well-known?
Old 08-21-2018, 09:10 PM
manpants

Hello all!

Really sorry if I am beating a dead horse with my question here but the more I google or sift through countless forum postings the more confused I make myself.

I have a 2011 G37 Coupe that is sitting fairly low on some cheapo Godspeed springs (coilovers in a few months). The ride is not terrible but I digress. So... recently acquired some shiny new XXR 530 wheels.
Specs:
Wheels: 19x8.75 +35 Squared set.
Tires: 225/40r19 (yes... weak I know).

The tires are temporary and I want to try and keep them rotatable so would prefer same size all around since I wanted a squared set of wheels for ease of use etc.
I think I want 245/40 to help keep more rubber on the ground but even with the +35 offset I can't visualize any wider/taller without a rub issue. Lack of experience with this vehicle is my guess. I see all these nice wheel and tire sizes posted here and cars that from first glance look like the tires will rub to shreds and or destroy a fender/wheel well. My hope is to get spacers in time as well to bring them out a tad. Any suggestions on tire size? Two different sizes for Fr/R optimal? I can live with no rotating if need be I suppose but would prefer 4 the same. My goal is to avoid any rolling of fenders at all and to try and keep my liners.

Quick Reply: The OFFICIAL "I have a wheel offset / tire fitment question!" thread