The wheel and tire business is so confusing

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 07:04 PM
SunnyD89
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
The wheel and tire business is so confusing

I've been searching through the forums trying to figure out what my best options are, and after a few days of pulling my hair out (which I already don't have enough of due to school), I decided to join the forum today (HELLO!) and just ask directly.

I have a 2009 G sedan (not an S or an X). I have been talking to a few vendors about getting the forgestar f14s (they seem to be pretty popular amongst our kind and i love how they look) I want to run a square setup so that i can rotate my tires when need be and they suggested i run 19x9.5 all around.

So first question, is that a good size to run a square setup on?

I want the wheels to run as flush as possible (but of course without any rubbing or needing to do fender work). *I also just bought a Eibach Prokit to lower my car so I don't know if that will effect the answer to the next question*

So second question, what offsets should i be running (with the prokit)?

I also have no idea what tires to run. I am not a fan of the stretched look at all. A very mild stretch would be alright I suppose, but from what i understand the size of the tires also has a lot to do with what offsets you can run without rubbing or fenderwork. I've read a few people here and there say 245/40/19 and 255/40/19 and even 275/35/19 (all of which i've put into the handy wheel and tire calculator and fall within 1% of the current wheel and tire diameter if in not mistaken)

So last question, what tire should i be running?

I hope this aren't really simple questions that i'm wasting y'alls time with, but i really have no idea what i'm doing so any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I also want my TPMS to work and when i was talking to the service guys at the dealership, they told me that whenever i get the new wheels and tires, any shop should know how to remove the TPMS from my current wheels and switch it over to my new setup. is this true?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:03 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by SunnyD89
I've been searching through the forums trying to figure out what my best options are, and after a few days of pulling my hair out (which I already don't have enough of due to school), I decided to join the forum today (HELLO!) and just ask directly.

I have a 2009 G sedan (not an S or an X). I have been talking to a few vendors about getting the forgestar f14s (they seem to be pretty popular amongst our kind and i love how they look) I want to run a square setup so that i can rotate my tires when need be and they suggested i run 19x9.5 all around.

So first question, is that a good size to run a square setup on?

I want the wheels to run as flush as possible (but of course without any rubbing or needing to do fender work). *I also just bought a Eibach Prokit to lower my car so I don't know if that will effect the answer to the next question*

So second question, what offsets should i be running (with the prokit)?

I also have no idea what tires to run. I am not a fan of the stretched look at all. A very mild stretch would be alright I suppose, but from what i understand the size of the tires also has a lot to do with what offsets you can run without rubbing or fenderwork. I've read a few people here and there say 245/40/19 and 255/40/19 and even 275/35/19 (all of which i've put into the handy wheel and tire calculator and fall within 1% of the current wheel and tire diameter if in not mistaken)

So last question, what tire should i be running?

I hope this aren't really simple questions that i'm wasting y'alls time with, but i really have no idea what i'm doing so any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I also want my TPMS to work and when i was talking to the service guys at the dealership, they told me that whenever i get the new wheels and tires, any shop should know how to remove the TPMS from my current wheels and switch it over to my new setup. is this true?
Welcome to the site, lots of stuff to browse around here for sure.

Lowered on Eibachs will bring your tires in a bit so that will play a role in your offsets. Keep in mind some tires are directional so those can only be rotated front to back.

For a square setup the 245-255s are a good width w/ offsets in the +30 to 40 range.
I have flush rears w/ +45 offset but 295 rear width (on 20s). I prefer my front tires a bit further away from the fender edge since the front fender isn't rolled like the rear and it's more prone to rubbing, although I'm lower than Eibachs, so on Eibachs it might not be much of an issue.

As far as tires, it all depends on your budget, if you want summer or all-seasons, if you plan to track your car sometimes, etc. Being in Ft. Worth you probably want summer tires and the Michelin Pilot Super Sports get glowing reviews, but they're a big-ticket tire. For All Seasons I really like the Toyo Proxes4 Plus, best All Seasons I've owned and I've been through a few

The TPMS will change over to your new wheels and most shops should be able to reset them. There's a DIY on the site for TPMS reset, just check the DIY section.

Be sure to let your springs settle for a few days then be sure to get an alignment, no need to chew up those new tires
Old 02-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
Welcome to the forum and maybe I can suggest a setup. A square setup is very nice as it let's you rotate the tires around. I have played around with a few settings that work. You can try a 19x9 +20 with 245/40/19 this will give you a flush look and enough meat on the wheels to make a comfy ride. You can an also do a less aggressive setup like 19x8.5 +40 with a 255/40/19 again which give meat on the tire and is rotation friendly.
There is a setup you can do that requires a little more confidence. A 19x10 +35 with a 255/35/19 as this gives a little stretch and is moderately aggressive with a flush look with an Eibach drop.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:53 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I have a square setup on my G37S for the same reason you mention - tire rotation.

I went with a stock size 18 x 8.5 +30. They sit flush, but I am lowered on coils. The reason I chose 18 over 19 or 20's (which I had previous to the 18's) is weight and price of tires. 19's are more expensive than even the 20's in most cases (in my experience looking at prices).

My rims weigh 18.3 lbs each. That's some serious unsprung weight saving.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:12 PM
farmurr

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Thank you for this topic - pretty much the same setup I'm going for in the spring. 19x9 +20?, 245/40/19. Would like to hear the advantages of other setups as well though...
Old 02-25-2013, 12:13 AM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
^^^^^^ what's the question?
Old 02-25-2013, 08:37 AM
redsoxfan5
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI, you shouldn't have to reset TPMS if you're moving the sensors from the current wheels to the new wheels. The only reason they would need to be reset is if you were using a new set of sensors.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:29 AM
SunnyD89
Registered Member

Wow thanks for all the info everybody!

I think I've decided on 19x9.5 all around seeing as no one has said theres anything wrong with that. I havent seen anyone talk about the 275/35/19 tire so im assuming thats a bad idea. the 255 tire is a little wider if ive learned anything on google the past couple days so i think ill go with that. that just leaves the last question then, with that wheel width and those tires dropped on eibachs, what should my offsets be?

Also thanks for the info on the TPMS and about getting my alignment done a month afterwards. as for the 18inch, i see what youre saying about them being more cost efficient, but i do not mind spending the extra money for the 19s
Old 02-25-2013, 10:51 AM
b2autodesigns
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I have done a few G37 sedan's with Forgestar wheels. This is a customer car. 19 8.5 +30 offset. Very close to flush, but with out rubbing.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:54 AM
SunnyD89
Registered Member

Originally Posted by b2autodesigns
I have done a few G37 sedan's with Forgestar wheels. This is a customer car. 19 8.5 +30 offset. Very close to flush, but with out rubbing.

Oh that looks nice. So do most people order 8.5 from you then? is 9.5 too wide/gonna cause problems? Or is it just preference?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:02 AM
b2autodesigns
Former Sponsor

"Oh that looks nice. So do most people order 8.5 from you then? is 9.5 too wide/gonna cause problems? Or is it just preference? "

Yes most do. With the 19 9.5 depending on the tire size you go with and brand tire it might get a stretch look. If you do a 245-40-19 tire with the 19 8.5. The tire will sit flush with the rim. Like the car pictured above.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:07 AM
SunnyD89
Registered Member

Originally Posted by b2autodesigns
"Oh that looks nice. So do most people order 8.5 from you then? is 9.5 too wide/gonna cause problems? Or is it just preference? "

Yes most do. With the 19 9.5 depending on the tire size you go with and brand tire it might get a stretch look. If you do a 245-40-19 tire with the 19 8.5. The tire will sit flush with the rim. Like the car pictured above.
hmmm ok. might have to change my mind to 8.5 width then. is that customers car dropped on eibachs as well?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Howdy!

FWIW, here are old pics of my current set-up of 18x9.5 +38 w/ 255/45s. This is roughly equivalent to an Eibach drop (albeit with BC Coils.)

This was before the camber kits went in. IIRC, camber is roughly -1.9 to -2.1 all around, toe in spec.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:19 AM
b2autodesigns
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SunnyD89
hmmm ok. might have to change my mind to 8.5 width then. is that customers car dropped on eibachs as well?
The car is lowered on Eibach I believe. Not 100% sure.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:55 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
To the OP, keep in mind, going wider (tires) will reduce your mpg too, even more so if that rubber is high performance sticky summer tires. If this is not a concern, disregard this comment. Just something to keep in mind.

Stock size on your car was 225/55/17 (all season) I believe. Going to a 245/40/19 will keep the speedo error to practically none. 255 is an odd size, though 255/40/19 would still keep the speedo error < 3%
Attached Thumbnails The wheel and tire business is so confusing-size.jpg  

Last edited by JSolo; 02-25-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: The wheel and tire business is so confusing