The wheel and tire business is so confusing

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:57 PM
SunnyD89
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
To the OP, keep in mind, going wider (tires) will reduce your mpg too, even more so if that rubber is high performance sticky summer tires. If this is not a concern, disregard this comment. Just something to keep in mind.
thanks i never really thought about that. am i correct in assuming that it wont be too drastic of a change between a 245 and a 255 tire?
Old 02-25-2013, 01:14 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^I don't think so. More difference will be seen going from all season to a summer only tire. When I had my camaro, I ran 245/50/16 summer only in the none winter months, and a 215/60 or 65/16 for my snow tires. In the winter, my mpg would almost mirror my summer mpg (instead of going down). I attributed this to the snow tires having less friction (mpg goes up), but also to less btu's in the fuel (mpg goes down). I'm talking a few points here (2-4 mpg?). If you drive like a nut then fuel costs are probably a great concern for you Otherwise, it's something to keep in the back of your mind. Nothing is free, there's always a tradeoff.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:35 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Between tires of the same class, the mpg difference will be marginal. I have a couple hundred tanks on record including what i changed along the way (i.e. larger wheels, smaller wheels, lighter wheels... ditto on tires, lighter rotors, change in oil brand, etc....) My drive is pretty much the same day-in, day-out. The difference is negligible IMHO... about 1mpg at the most. I can vary mpg that much just by changing driving styles within the same week.

Here's an old post of mine, i haven't updated it in a while but do have the #'s from that point to the present and the variance is the same.

Mods vs. MPG - G35Driver
Old 02-25-2013, 04:25 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
Between tires of the same class, the mpg difference will be marginal. I have a couple hundred tanks on record including what i changed along the way (i.e. larger wheels, smaller wheels, lighter wheels... ditto on tires, lighter rotors, change in oil brand, etc....) My drive is pretty much the same day-in, day-out. The difference is negligible IMHO... about 1mpg at the most. I can vary mpg that much just by changing driving styles within the same week.

Here's an old post of mine, i haven't updated it in a while but do have the #'s from that point to the present and the variance is the same.

Mods vs. MPG - G35Driver
Ditto for me, went from 245s on 20x8" rims to 295s on20 x 10" rims and my mpg has only dropped at most .5 mpg, and that may be that it's tougher finding gas w/ less ethanol, they always seem to be sneaking more of that crap in our gas these days
Old 02-25-2013, 04:56 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
To the OP, keep in mind, going wider (tires) will reduce your mpg too, even more so if that rubber is high performance sticky summer tires. If this is not a concern, disregard this comment. Just something to keep in mind.

Stock size on your car was 225/55/17 (all season) I believe. Going to a 245/40/19 will keep the speedo error to practically none. 255 is an odd size, though 255/40/19 would still keep the speedo error < 3%
here's the math worked out Tire Width - Nissan 370Z Forum you should read it too, op. might give you some baseline design options for selecting tires. gluck op.
i posted here a while back but no one every gave it much of a though or comment.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:02 PM
SunnyD89
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jujubii
here's the math worked out Tire Width - Nissan 370Z Forum you should read it too, op. might give you some baseline design options for selecting tires. gluck op.
i posted here a while back but no one every gave it much of a though or comment.
seems like it should be an interesting read. thanks jujubii