TPMS question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 05:07 PM
tattoo400

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS question

Okay, I put some stock OE G37 19" Ray's wheel back on my G and after a few miles the TPMS light lit up and was blinking for a bit. I don't understand why it went on and how to make it go away, I gotta say...I'm not in love with this function on the G...what a pain in the ***! What do I do? just throw some tape over the light and forget about it? All four tires are at 34PSI....so what's with the light??
Old 02-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Pump the tires up to at least 35 psi or more evenly for all tires and then drive it for a few days. It should go away on it's own as it resets the computer. It's really not that good of a system. I've had tires at 35 and then over time they've gotten down to as low as 28 lbs. before kicking on the light. What I've found is it responds more quickly when one tire gets much lower than the others by 2 or 3 lbs. This is one of the scenarios that's been programmed into the system. It also doesn't tell you which tire is low so you have to go around and check them all to see what the problem is. A cool system I saw was on a Ferrari 458 Italia which showed the exact pressure for each tire but also showed the tire temperature as well. Now that's a useful system which I would gladly pay for since I also track the car once in awhile. Given this is a luxury car brand, I'm amazed they at least don't give us the true pressure in each tire on the dash display which we can scan through.

Al
Old 02-24-2013, 05:23 PM
tattoo400

Yea, I suppose if they were to go through the trouble to have a system such as the TPMS they would also make it so it could tell you the specific pressure for each tire since it is a luxury car, but I guess that goes in the same category as the steering wheel frame bezel that (on the 08's at least) seem to lose the paint on them and the door handle covers that seem to look crappy after a short time.....they fixed these issues I believe after the 08' but not so much with the TPMS function. Still love the G however!
Old 02-24-2013, 05:26 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
Are these sensors the ones that came with your car or did they come with wheels off of another car? If they are not your sensors you are going to have to take it in to get reprogrammed/re-learned by the dealer or tire shop that knows how to do that.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:36 PM
tattoo400

When I got the car it had 20" BOSS wheels that required spacer for the front wheels to fit right. I just got a new set of the stock size Ray's 19's and put them on the car yesterday. I left everything the same (spacers etc.) and they fit okay.....just the TPMS came on and I don't know why or how to get it to go away (I will inflate the tires to 35-38 PSI and see if that helps. Not sure about the sensor(s) though so if I can't get the dash light to go away then I will just have to ignore it.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:05 PM
jaykellogg

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As Zoster33 said, if they aren't the original TPMS sensors you will have to program them to the car. The process to do that without the Consult is in the service manual. If you need me to I can reproduce it here. It involves setting each wheel at a specific pressure and driving the car.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:21 PM
tattoo400

Well, I actually bought the 19's just as a back up set so I will be using the 20's when I get new tires on them. So I will run the OE 19's and just ignore the dash light as I know the pressure in them is fine. I'd just disable the whole TPMS system if I could.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:04 PM
XSivG

Thumbs up

Hey jaykellogg,
How's it going ???
If you don't mind I would greatly appreciate it if you could post
the TPMS reprogramming procedure without the Infiniti Consult
tool from the service manual !!!
Thanks for your help !!!

ps: tattoo400 hope you don't think I hyjacked your thread, but
I could use the info in the near future...thanks.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:11 PM
nukee26

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Here you go
Old 02-24-2013, 10:04 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Tattoo400 you can also swap the TPMS's out from your 20's to the 19's?
Just a thought
Old 02-25-2013, 04:10 PM
tattoo400

I know this is going to sound wildly lame but I did lose about half my sight in 09' due to a brain tumor and thus I can't see very well. I am not sure where to find or even what the TPMS(s) look like. I will be putting the 20's back on the G this weekend so I will just leave it alone for now. Also, I went over the rotor and pad change vid on youtube and wow did that dude try to make the crappiest vid possible? It's hard to see just what the hell he is doing but even with my crappy vision I aim to concur that job soon. Just waiting for the rotors/pads to come in and then I will pick a weekend that I can take my time swapping the old rotors and pads.....I will post pics when I finish it.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:20 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tattoo400
I know this is going to sound wildly lame but I did lose about half my sight in 09' due to a brain tumor and thus I can't see very well. I am not sure where to find or even what the TPMS(s) look like. I will be putting the 20's back on the G this weekend so I will just leave it alone for now. Also, I went over the rotor and pad change vid on youtube and wow did that dude try to make the crappiest vid possible? It's hard to see just what the hell he is doing but even with my crappy vision I aim to concur that job soon. Just waiting for the rotors/pads to come in and then I will pick a weekend that I can take my time swapping the old rotors and pads.....I will post pics when I finish it.
I'm not entirely sure what your question is? We went from TPMS to rotors and pads...haha? Despite, the TPMS sensors look like rectangular, black boxes with valve stems sticking out of them. They're located INSIDE your tire and are pressurized. If you need to swap them, you'll need to take them to a tire shop. They'll have to unbolt them (off the barrel of your wheel) and relocated them to another wheel (your 20's). Hope this helps! sorry to hear about the tumor and your vision loss...but hey...you have your health!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:53 PM
tattoo400

Lol, yea I know that there was talk in the past about how I was bitching about installing a CAI and I did have trouble with it and he (zoster33) recognized it was me again asking about the TPMS ( and earlier about a rotor/pad replacement) so that is what THAT was about. Thanks for the info on the sensors....I am going to put the 20's back on this weekend and they did not trip the TPMS so they must have them installed. Again....thanks!

also, my tumor (while benign) has a high propensity for recurrence sooooo I HOPE to have my health for good but that cannot be guaranteed
Old 02-26-2013, 12:37 AM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Damn, sorry to hear about that tumor, thank God it was benign I pray it doesn't come back. Like eksigned said, the tpms's are mounted on the rim and are enclosed by the tire so you wouldn't be able to actually see the transmitter. Here's a pic of what they look like. So if the spare wheels came with them all you have to do is have your car reprogrammed to learn the new tpms's. Hope this helps tatoo400

Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 PM
G Nepal

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Sorry to Hijack ur post.. but do u need new TPMS if you getting new set of wheels? and how much do they run?

Quick Reply: TPMS question