TPMS installed on winter rims/tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 11:30 PM
kkkkken

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
TPMS installed on winter rims/tires

The winter is swiftly approaching and I had to get my snow tires installed -I had a few hours this am so I got to work.
Last winter i got to look at the tire pressure light on the dash lit up all the time and decided that I wanted that gone for this winter.
So I found a supplier - "Continental" that makes sensors for the 37 Coupe and had to get them installed in my winter rim/snow tires. I got the sensors at no charge through an industry friend but I think they retail for around $40 a piece.
Luckily my other habits include motorcycles and to that end I have a bike tire changer in my garage. I mention this because I had to break the bead on the tire, remove the old valve stem (cutting the stem off), and then install the sensor and tighten it onto the rim. The tire changer performed perfectly and in relatively no time I had the 4 sensors installed with the tires aired back up.
Went for a quick drive to see if I'd need to program the sensors- as I was told that these were self learners but wanted to see for myself. Turns out that it appears that they do not require a re-learn procedure. My tire inflation warning light on the dash did not come on! Admittedly I did not try to simulate a deflation scenario but I'll give that a try tomorrow to see if I can initiate a fault lamp on the dash.
If anyone is interested in finding these same sensors I'll grab an empty box from the install and give some details. Their website is pretty good though.
My only "WTF" moment was trying to determine what 7 inch pounds or whatever the insanely low torque value was on the securement of the valve stem to the rim was. I just snugged it up and then a little more! All good so far!
I've read lots of content on this forum about the steps to take to program TPMS sensors so if this "find" of self learning sensors is in fact true - I thought I'd share. Cheers.

Last edited by kkkkken; 11-04-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:12 PM
nbast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How far did you drive with the new sensors? I don't see how 'self learning' could possibly work, so I suspect you've just not driven enough for it to trigger the sensor missing alert.

That said, programming new sensors is trivially easy. You can do it yourself in 30 seconds followed by a 20 minute drive. Look in the DIY forum, there's a stickied thread with instructions.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:26 PM
kkkkken

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nbast
How far did you drive with the new sensors? I don't see how 'self learning' could possibly work, so I suspect you've just not driven enough for it to trigger the sensor missing alert.

That said, programming new sensors is trivially easy. You can do it yourself in 30 seconds followed by a 20 minute drive. Look in the DIY forum, there's a stickied thread with instructions.

You are completely correct. Drove a lot more today and the light came back. I suspected that "self learning" wasn't legit. Sorry if I mis-represented these sensors. I've already printed off the how to for syncing them up to the car.

Cheers.