Are Sport Staggered Tires an Endangered Species?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:23 PM
gee wiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are Sport Staggered Tires an Endangered Species?

Finally getting around to replacing the tires on our Sport. With high recommendations here on MyG37 I've been shopping for either Michelin or Bridgestone A/S tires. I started a week ago with Costco, Sam's Club, America's Tire, Discount Tire, Tire Rack and a couple smaller local shops. Availability seems to be weak on the OEM front size. I wasn't having much luck zeroing in on a full set of Michelin's, so I decided on Bridgestone 970 Pole Positions. Even with those the fronts appear to be tough to get. America Tire said they have to order the fronts direct from the manufacturer in Texas. Tire Rack is putting delivery out nearly three weeks due to the front set. Has anyone else had similar issues trying to obtain a full set without waiting for special orders?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Are you talking about sedan sport 18" OEM sizes? I got a set from discount tire with no problem. Took 2 days.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:23 PM
gee wiz

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Are you talking about sedan sport 18" OEM sizes? I got a set from discount tire with no problem. Took 2 days.
Yep, that's correct. You talkin' Bridgestones? If so, you must be near the Texas source some of my shops claim they need to order from? Maybe it's a regional thing. Just find it frustrating since I've never had this kind of an issue getting tires before.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:44 PM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Why dont you get michelin pilot super sports for the front? They sell them for a good price. IIRC michelin also had the primacy in this size.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:44 AM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Just checked tire rack and there are a bunch of f/r sets available for both summer and A/S tires. The A/S are a little harder to find because of the season- everybody's switching out their summers in preparation for the ccccold.

If you live on the west coast you can make the summers work, but if it dips well below freezing where you are you will want a good A/S compound.

For summer tires, I heartily recommend Michelin PSS, hands down. And they are cheaper than the terrible OEMs too!
Old 10-11-2012, 08:06 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by gee wiz
Yep, that's correct. You talkin' Bridgestones? If so, you must be near the Texas source some of my shops claim they need to order from? Maybe it's a regional thing. Just find it frustrating since I've never had this kind of an issue getting tires before.
I am in Texas. I have Michelin PSS on the sedan. No problems getting them. Most places just don't keep a lot of them in stock so they have to order them.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:09 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
+1 on Michelin Super Sports. Just put a set on my car and they ride, handle and are quieter than the Pilot Sport A/S plus that i had on for a month and hated.

You will enjoy this car a lot more with the Michelin SS. And they handle rain and cold fairly well. Its been in the 20s in the AMs up here and I haven't had any issues. Just waiting a little bit longer before swapping out to my winters. (Im in North Dakota)
Old 10-11-2012, 10:43 AM
ashmostro

Originally Posted by WannabeSport
You will enjoy this car a lot more with the Michelin SS. And they handle rain and cold fairly well. Its been in the 20s in the AMs up here and I haven't had any issues. Just waiting a little bit longer before swapping out to my winters. (Im in North Dakota)
That's good to hear! I've been trying to figure out if I need to spend $$ on dedicated winters for the DC metro season. It's my first winter up here and I hear our weather is unpredictable, but usually not severe.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,650 Likes on 3,478 Posts
Originally Posted by ashmostro
That's good to hear! I've been trying to figure out if I need to spend $$ on dedicated winters for the DC metro season. It's my first winter up here and I hear our weather is unpredictable, but usually not severe.
That might be encouraging that the PSS handles freezing temp blacktop better than expected. It's surprising for a high-performance summer-only tire, but whatever... good to know. Particularly since I'm getting a set of PSS next Spring.

However, if you're caught on snow or ice with those tires, you're done for.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:53 AM
ashmostro

Originally Posted by Rochester
However, if you're caught on snow or ice with those tires, you're done for.
Yep.

It doesn't snow every winter in DC. So if it starts to, I plan to pick up a set of Conti DWS and shoe them on my (now spare) OEM 18's.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:50 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I drove in slush the other morning and it did OK. I wouldnt want summer tires in any snow or ice though. You wouldn't go very far or very fast..
Old 10-11-2012, 04:51 PM
gee wiz

Thanks for the replies. Guess it was just the luck of the draw with most shops not stocking the front size and having to greatly delay the install due to delayed orders to get them. I know the Michelin SS are highly rated, but I was looking for something with a higher wear rating and wanted All Seasons, mainly for my wife since she uses it as her daily driver. Was considering the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, but couldn't find a matched set. I'm giving the Bridgestone 970 Pole Position a try...that's if the special order ever arrives. Anyone have these? Your impression?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:14 PM
ashmostro

Never tried those but would be interested to hear your take once you shoe them on and drive it for a bit. I've heard decent things about them but no firsthand.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ashmostro
Never tried those but would be interested to hear your take once you shoe them on and drive it for a bit. I've heard decent things about them but no firsthand.
I just got a set of Kumho Ecsta 4X for my 09 S. I was going for the cheapest set and want some weather capability. I thought I was going to feel major down grade from the stock tires. But to my surprise I felt no lost of performance.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:57 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by gee wiz
I'm giving the Bridgestone 970 Pole Position a try...that's if the special order ever arrives. Anyone have these? Your impression?
Had them on my '06 350. It was an OK tire - didn't impress on any front. Having said that - I'm in DFW area (TX) - so prolonged cold temps or a lot of snow was not in the mix...

Quick Reply: Are Sport Staggered Tires an Endangered Species?