and a replica bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 03:47 AM
jeffjcause

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and a replica bites the dust

First off, I just want to say...I am perfectly fine with people running replica wheels...Varrstoen, Rota, etc...I have no angst towards people buying them or anything. I just wanted to show some pics of what can happen when a curb meets said wheels. Granted, the force of the impact with the curb was quite strong, a true forged monoblock wheel would not even come close to this kind of damage. Luckily the driver is alive without a scratch, but the wreck was pretty brutal. And for reference, ROTA GRID.

This is one of the wheels that actually made it through the wreck:

Name:  IMG_0140.jpg
Views: 2071
Size:  204.9 KB

This one not so much:

Name:  IMG_0137.jpg
Views: 1938
Size:  263.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0138.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  239.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0139.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  234.4 KB
Old 09-29-2012, 06:53 AM
G37HKS

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

Forged Wheels ftmfw
Old 09-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Wow. The damage is amazing.

So, you think the real thing woulda faired better in the same situation?
Old 09-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
And even after seeing that for yourself you still don't have a problem with poorly constructed POS knockoff wheels? I guess somebody has to die before some people will admit that being cheap isn't worth anyone's life.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:51 AM
kchu221
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
holy ****... you get what you pay for, especially wheels! this is one of the reason why i stand my ground on buy only authentic wheels...
Old 09-29-2012, 11:33 AM
sharkey

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Is that recent, or is it from an Evolution?
Old 09-29-2012, 11:56 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
In a high speed wreck, a wheel failure is the least of my worries. Not saying I support the rep. wheel market or anything. Just saying.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
In a high speed wreck, a wheel failure is the least of my worries. Not saying I support the rep. wheel market or anything. Just saying.
See. This is what I'm thinking.

Has anyone asked why or how the driver hit that curb? I guess that was kinda my question. That damage isn't from normal driving going over a bump. I find it hard to believe that that kind of damage would escape any wheel under the same circumstances.

And cheese is right, I don't support knockoffs either, but if that kind of damage is happening from that kind of force, I think the driver has bigger problems to worry about.

Last edited by Rad_Slinger; 09-30-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Megacab

Yeah...
I'm guessing that wasn't quite a 2-5 mph "oops" stop hit against the curb, or the dreaded rash from your girlfriend/wife parallel parking the car (Who would let them do it anyway??).

Support cheap China knockoff crap?
No.
But let's be realistic, I doubt any wheel, knockoff or real, would have been salvageable after an impact like that...
Old 09-29-2012, 01:27 PM
sharkey

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm thinking that this is from a evo 8 crash, and it was high speed ...

That's not going to happen if you jump a curb or curb wheels
Old 09-29-2012, 02:35 PM
jeffjcause

Originally Posted by Mattster
Wow. The damage is amazing.

So, you think the real thing woulda faired better in the same situation?
In my personal opinion, yes. I've seen the actual strength of authentic wheels. About 5 years ago, a good friend of mine got caught up under an 18 wheeler in his ek civic hatch. No, he wasn't fast and furiousing, he just got caught in a current going around an exit ramp. The 18 wheeler drug him for over half a mile before realizing it was happening. He had volk ce28n. Any other wheel would have snapped and ultimately caused him to start rolling. In this video, you can actually see how the volks held up while being DRAGGED ACROSS CEMENT. Pretty intense stuff!

jason brewer wreck 1 Video by Logan D. Brewer! (R.I.P Micah Bonner) - Myspace Video

Originally Posted by Black Betty
And even after seeing that for yourself you still don't have a problem with poorly constructed POS knockoff wheels? I guess somebody has to die before some people will admit that being cheap isn't worth anyone's life.
Well in my defense I was never asked nor specified for what kind of application? I believe any car with the intentions of spirited driving should absolutely stay away from replicas. Youre right. It isn't worth anyone's life. But the whole "low n slow" movement is the complete opposite. I'm sure most of them approach curbs at...2 mph? I somehow doubt that kind of impact would affect most replicas....most being the key word

Originally Posted by sharkey
Is that recent, or is it from an Evolution?
I'd say within the past few months. It was a Lexus GS here in Birmingham.

Originally Posted by Mattster
See. This is what I'm thinking.

Has anyone asked why or how the driver hit that curb? I guess that was kinda my question. That damage isn't from normal driving going over a bump. I find it hard to believe that that kind of damage would escape any wheel under the same circumstances.

And cheese is right, I don't support knockoffs either, but if that kind of damage is happening from that kind of force, I think the driver has bigger problems to worry about.
I agree. It was not from normal driving going over a bump. But I GUARANTEE you a real wheel would have stood a FAR better chance than this. But in the end, I'm not here to argue over the validity of real wheels and replicas. I'm just merely showing the outcome of a driver hitting against a curb and destroying a replica wheel .

Originally Posted by Megacab
Yeah...
I'm guessing that wasn't quite a 2-5 mph "oops" stop hit against the curb, or the dreaded rash from your girlfriend/wife parallel parking the car (Who would let them do it anyway??).

Support cheap China knockoff crap?
No.
But let's be realistic, I doubt any wheel, knockoff or real, would have been salvageable after an impact like that...
I thought the same thing before i saw a Volk be dragged 1/2 a mile under an 18 wheeler

Originally Posted by sharkey
I'm thinking that this is from a evo 8 crash, and it was high speed ...

That's not going to happen if you jump a curb or curb wheels
This is not from the evo 8 crash, and it did happen from him jumping the curb
Old 09-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Dark Sarcasm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeffjcause
No, he wasn't fast and furiousing, he just got caught in a current going around an exit ramp.
huh? not sure how the video clip is helping your point. its not a hang glider its a honda civic.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:03 PM
jeffjcause

Originally Posted by Dark Sarcasm
huh? not sure how the video clip is helping your point. its not a hang glider its a honda civic.
He hit a dip in an exit ramp...which caused his rear end to pick up in the air a little...there was an 18 wheeler next to him...once the draft from the 18 wheeler hit the car while the rear was somewhat airborne, it caused him to lose control of the car and slide up underneath it. And how is the video clip not helping my point? The video shows the strength of an actual forged wheel after being dragged by an 18 wheeler...that in itself is my one only point to it.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:05 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
I am going to reply acknowledging the fact that my post may be deleted without cause...

The damage to this fake wheel would not have happened to the wheel from which it was copied. The Volk Racing TE37 is a forged wheel. Forged wheels are stronger. Plain and simple. The forging process changes the structural integrity of the aluminum making it stronger than a cast wheel. There is a higher specific strength and toughness to a forged wheel. Basically, it can absorb more energy. This means the wheel, while being lighter, will also be able to handle significantly more abuse. It is less likely to crack. If one is involved in a high-speed crash, yes, there would likely to damage to any wheel. However, the damaged to a forged wheel would likely look something like this:

Authentic Volk Racing Wheel
Name:  316726_198730906859441_1565190295_n.jpg
Views: 1828
Size:  20.7 KB

And not like these:

Knock-off Wheels
Name:  296599_201726053226593_1546947276_n.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  46.4 KB

Name:  421141_281872091878655_500904509_n.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  broken-wheel-02.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  31.9 KB

They would bend; not break, shatter, or virtually disintegrate.

There is no enforcement like the DOT for the aftermarket in the United States. In countries like Japan and Germany, each wheel has to be registered with the government before it is allowed to be put on the market, whether it is cast or forged. That is the reason there are so many **** wheel brands surfacing all over America. In many cases, these wheels are, quite simply, extremely unsafe. Well-reputed companies like Rays Engineering, Enkei, Advan, SSR, BBS, etc... (all companies that happen to get their designs stolen all the time) ensure that their wheels pass quality and safety standards to provide a driver in a catastrophic crash the best chance at survival.

I don't know about you, but, in a bad accident, I would much rather have my wheels bend than break into pieces...
Old 09-29-2012, 03:49 PM
jeffjcause

If anybody deletes it, I will be the first one in the group to start the mutiny

Quick Reply: and a replica bites the dust