Wheels stolen! Need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Zod

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Wheels stolen! Need some advice...

This isn't exactly how I wanted to introduce myself to the community, but let me tell you this is the worst feeling you'll feel in your gut when walking over to get in your car :

Wheels stolen! Need some advice...-sygec.jpg
Wheels stolen! Need some advice...-1vqsu.jpg
Wheels stolen! Need some advice...-dyl8o.jpg
Wheels stolen! Need some advice...-gupuo.jpg
Wheels stolen! Need some advice...-4dvmh.jpg

My babied low miles black on black 09 G37S.

Happened sometime this past Saturday night. Me and my wife were walking to the car to get brunch and saw this.

Live in Downtown Miami and this was in a secured garage building in my apartment complex. Key card access only and cameras everywhere.

Never thought my car would get hit, at least not in this garage... but after searching the forums and reading other theft cases, nowhere is safe. Not even in your own home garage if they want them bad enough.

Needless to say I am trying to move out of this place, the economy is **** here in Miami and things are going to get worse. People are getting desperate.

The wheels were stock 19" alloy sports that come with the 2009 G37S. (Noticed it is a high-demand wheel for thiefs).

Already been checking craigs and ebay every day for any clues but seems they are not that stupid.

If anyone sees anything that could help me out identify what crew or person stole them here is some wheel description:

3 of the wheels are basically like-new (may have just 1 tiny scuff on the very edge, hard to spot)
1 of the wheels had a bad long deep scuff around the edge, with a gap in the middle of the scuff
1 of the wheels also had a little black stain on one of the spokes, looks like paint but it does not come off.

Made a police report and insurance is taking over from here. I need some advice from anyone with a similar situation regarding insurance:

1. The insurance (Progressive) estimator showed up and mentioned around $4000 in damage. I think it is a bit low, considering the quote from Infiniti I got was around $6400 (including replacement of 2 side skirts). Is that low? Both sideskirts will be scratched underneath and one of them is actually slightly bent due to the weight.
2. Insurance wants to send my car to their own shop and never mentioned sending me any checks. Do I have a right to get a check and use my own shop?

Some questions for any Miami locals:

3. Insurance uses a shop called Maranellos down in Coral Gables, they specialize in luxury import body work. I googled them but there are no reviews to be found. Which looks odd to me. Are they reputable?
4. Any recommendations on a good local Miami shop to get new wheels and body work done? Checking out AutoGlitz since it's been mentioned here.
5. Not planning on going back to stock wheels, just to get hit again. Who can I contact to get a good deal on some Vossens? (20" CV1s)

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2012, 02:44 PM
frank.leon002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to see a local sitting on bricks like that.. yea man Miami is getting out of control with these thiefs. As for body shop I would recommend Miami chassis . Over by 30 st and north river drive. They work on high end cars. They do get a bit expensive but do quality work. Looks like your insurance is being helpful.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:08 PM
G2Envy

Looking at bullet #5, don't get the false impression that thieves only want the stock 19's. All wheels are susceptible to being stolen if they really want them.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:10 PM
InfiniteSmoke

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Miami? Sobs.. Did you have wheel locks?

Damn, sorry to hear. I myself in Broward watch out. But its true, if something is eyed through a thief's eye, consider it done. Apparently there is a thread here that someone stole the housing for the fog lights. Smh.

Best of luck. I know a shop in Broward. Did all my custom work. They are affiliated with Vossen wheels, and all kinds of stuff. PM me if you want to give it a shot.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:14 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
You should have your choice of shop to send the car. They may provide you with a list, but can't force you to pick any particular shop over another. This has been the case with every insurance co i've dealt with in the past (state farm, geico, allstate, etc.)
Old 09-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Zod

Originally Posted by frank.leon002
Sorry to see a local sitting on bricks like that.. yea man Miami is getting out of control with these thiefs. As for body shop I would recommend Miami chassis . Over by 30 st and north river drive. They work on high end cars. They do get a bit expensive but do quality work. Looks like your insurance is being helpful.
Yeah thankfully they are. Also lucky that my car wasn't stolen or dropped to the front... could've been worse. Will give that place a call, thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by InfiniteSmoke
Miami? Sobs.. Did you have wheel locks?

Damn, sorry to hear. I myself in Broward watch out. But its true, if something is eyed through a thief's eye, consider it done. Apparently there is a thread here that someone stole the housing for the fog lights. Smh.

Best of luck. I know a shop in Broward. Did all my custom work. They are affiliated with Vossen wheels, and all kinds of stuff. PM me if you want to give it a shot.
Yup I had one set of locks. Found out now they have tools just to take out locks, just takes them a few extra seconds. FML... Thinking there has to be something like a silent tilt alarm that calls or texts your phone?

Is that shop in Broward called SAT performance? I got a buddy that's had work done there if it's them. I'll send PM.

Thanks for the replies guys. Anything else you guys think I should know or tips on how to get back up and running again is appreciated.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Bernz
Registered Member

This happened to myself also, I took my car to South Motors Infiniti and I also had Progressive, be careful because they try and replace wheels with refurbished factory wheels not new ones. Just point out to them that the paint finish is not satisfactory and they will replace them all with factory new wheels. Just some advice from my experience in this same situation.

Miami Chassis is also a good shop, they can repair your car and upgrade your wheels if you'd like.

And this is Miami, whether the economy is good or bad, people will still steal anything and everything.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:38 PM
VQ37VHR

Cameras catch anything?
Old 09-26-2012, 05:53 PM
G37Some

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
sry to hear bro, hurts to see. i visit miami all the time and this made me a little sketched out. definitely contact your complex to review cameras, even if u cant see any faces, check the timeframe and then have them look at logs of keycards/fobs a half hour before and after it happened. progressive should let you choose your own shop, and then they should direct contact the owner for an actual estimate etc. if you can find a local shop through a reference that will come in a little lower than progressives quote, but give you what you want - they have no reason to say no. as far as writing you a check, i think they would more than likely prefer to pay the shop directly to avoid fraude. miami and tampa have horrible insurance premiums because this stuff is quite common. I will be looking into wheel locks also now (even if it is just a slight deterrent to the pros it might throw off some amateurs).
Old 09-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Brainchild

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear this happened to you. If I were near you I'd loan you some wheels to get your car off those bricks. Hope things work out for you and not the guys who stole them.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:06 PM
bluedevils95

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
You said there were camera every where. What about that?
Old 09-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Zod

Originally Posted by Bernz
This happened to myself also, I took my car to South Motors Infiniti and I also had Progressive, be careful because they try and replace wheels with refurbished factory wheels not new ones. Just point out to them that the paint finish is not satisfactory and they will replace them all with factory new wheels. Just some advice from my experience in this same situation.

Miami Chassis is also a good shop, they can repair your car and upgrade your wheels if you'd like.

And this is Miami, whether the economy is good or bad, people will still steal anything and everything.
The thing I wasn't aware is that, I wanted the shop to fix the damage and get some aftermarket wheels instead of putting back on stocks again. Apparently Progressive doesn't allow that because they can't guarantee aftermarket wheels. That really blows, I wanted to skip the hassle of having to sell my stocks later .

Thanks for the tip though I will make sure they give me brand new factory wheels at the very least.

Also, what do you mean Miami Chassis can "upgrade" the wheels? Like give you IPL wheels instead of sports or you mean aftermarket?

Originally Posted by bluedevils95
You said there were camera every where. What about that?
Yeah the building management is still looking at the tape and they are also suppose to give a copy to the officers I wrote the report with. Still haven't heard back.

Also, to anyone that lives in Miami: Be very careful, the Progressive agent just told me he just got another claim today of a 2010 G37 that also had his sports wheels stolen. Smells like a crew making a run for wheels before they bounce to another city... bastards.

Another thing, I wasn't aware Progressive doesn't hand out checks anymore.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:58 PM
egmmbah

A) just have progressive write you the check and you can use it on whatever you want B) i am 99% sure autoglitz in hollywood does not do body work at all. C) bosy work wise there is a ton of places you can use and usually if you go in and pay it is a lot less money then if insurance company is paying for it and you can keep the difference
Old 09-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Zod

Originally Posted by egmmbah
A) just have progressive write you the check and you can use it on whatever you want B) i am 99% sure autoglitz in hollywood does not do body work at all. C) bosy work wise there is a ton of places you can use and usually if you go in and pay it is a lot less money then if insurance company is paying for it and you can keep the difference
A) That's the thing this adjustor doesn't seem to want to hand out a check, can I just call the main number and demand a check? Mind you the car is not fully paid off yet and still on a loan.
B) You're right I called them today and they don't do any type of body work.
C) That's what I am thinking, they are being pushy and trying to get me to use their shop (which I heard is pretty illegal). They tell me if I use their shop the wheels have to be stock. So I am thinking if I take it to a shop of my choosing I can put whatever wheels I want, don't need their warranty. It is my car.

Thanks for the info, I am just now starting to catch on to how sneaky INS is trying to be.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Bernz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Zod
Also, what do you mean Miami Chassis can "upgrade" the wheels? Like give you IPL wheels instead of sports or you mean aftermarket?
Miami Chassis is a body shop, and also own a wheel shop. They deal with insurance claims all the time, just let them know exactly what you want and they can pretty much make it happen. Worth the call, it's their specialty.

Quick Reply: Wheels stolen! Need some advice...