Dealer put my larger tires up front and the smaller ones in the back help/?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 08:52 PM
pcgizzmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer put my larger tires up front and the smaller ones in the back help/?

Hello everyone I'm new here but plan on spending some time.

So, the dealer delivered my used 2010 G37 Journey Sedan to me. Part of the deal was that they were going to swap sport wheels for me but told me you can't rotate them because of the differing wheel sizes. It's also common sense I guess.

Well, I noticed my TPMS lights were on and called the dealer. They said it was because the swapped tires and they should go off at some point soon. Fair enough.

Well, I got out of the car and the tires didn't look quite right. I noticed they had put the larger tires up front and the smaller ones in the back.

So, now I'm pissed because people can't do their job and pay attention to detail

So, I have some questions.

1. Did the 45 mile drive from the dealer to my house ruin these tires or cause some other issue?

2. I assume if I just go to a tire place they can put them back where they came from?

3. If my TPMS lights don't go out what should I look for. If the dealer didn't do the tires right I guess it's also possible they didn't properly calibrate the TPMS.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:41 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by pcgizzmo
Hello everyone I'm new here but plan on spending some time.

So, the dealer delivered my used 2010 G37 Journey Sedan to me. Part of the deal was that they were going to swap sport wheels for me but told me you can't rotate them because of the differing wheel sizes. It's also common sense I guess.

Well, I noticed my TPMS lights were on and called the dealer. They said it was because the swapped tires and they should go off at some point soon. Fair enough.

Well, I got out of the car and the tires didn't look quite right. I noticed they had put the larger tires up front and the smaller ones in the back.

So, now I'm pissed because people can't do their job and pay attention to detail

So, I have some questions.

1. Did the 45 mile drive from the dealer to my house ruin these tires or cause some other issue?

2. I assume if I just go to a tire place they can put them back where they came from?

3. If my TPMS lights don't go out what should I look for. If the dealer didn't do the tires right I guess it's also possible they didn't properly calibrate the TPMS.

Thanks in advance.
1. you will be fine
2. just do it yourself and make sure they are torqued correctly as well
3. there is no 'adjustment' they should reset by themselves for those made after like 3/2010.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:55 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by rks
1. you will be fine
2. just do it yourself and make sure they are torqued correctly as well
3. there is no 'adjustment' they should reset by themselves for those made after like 3/2010.
^this, it's not a big deal at all except that you have to scratch your head a little wondering who was doing the tire swap
Check your tire pressure, the TPMS sensors seem to start lighting up when your pressure gets below 30, at least that's been my experience, I keep mine filled to 35-36 PSI. If your tires are Potenzas or another "outside bias" tire you can swap them side to side for a bit better wear but that's all you can do. Just don't let the same bozo touch those tires again, lol.
BTW welcome to the site and enjoy your new G!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:18 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
assuming they mounted the tires on the correct wheels, then just swap them yourself. if they mounted the wider tires on the narrower wheel, you need a tire shop or the dealer to dismount the tires and mount them correctly.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:08 PM
pcgizzmo

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to drive it to the tire store in the morning. I'd do it myself but I don't have many tools. Plus I would like them to check the rims as was suggested to make sure there on the right ones.

Thanks again.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:18 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
The weird thing is that the front axles have an extra stud to keep from this specific inversion. This may be a feature exclusive to the "S" package however.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:22 AM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rks
The weird thing is that the front axles have an extra stud to keep from this specific inversion. This may be a feature exclusive to the "S" package however.

I was thinking the same thing... I even wondered if the same "bozo" saw the stud and removed it as it was in "the way"...

OP, welcome aboard and hope this gets sorted out quick. Enjoy your G!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
assuming they mounted the tires on the correct wheels, then just swap them yourself. if they mounted the wider tires on the narrower wheel, you need a tire shop or the dealer to dismount the tires and mount them correctly.
Assuming the OP has a torque wrench, and a hydraulic floor jack, and a relatively strong back... sure, he could do it himself. I used to swap winter rims & snows for summer rims and performance tires every Winter and Spring, for the past 10 years. And although I was fairly efficient at it, it still got harder every year (because old, LOL).

Originally Posted by rks
What? This is news to me. Cool!

How does this design work? Some kind of half-height stud that fits on the underside? Is this something common? How does it impact selection for aftermarket wheels?
Old 09-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
It's not an extra stu per say Rochester. It's a screw with a spacer on it, screwed each rotor in the front between the wheel studs. The way it works, is it fits into the spaces in the smaller wheels for the front, but won't work for the back wheels cause no spaces. The extra little screw is VERY easy to remove. Maybe the op didn't have one to begin with and that's why the shop mixed them up? Idk, while I'm not laughing at the op predicammint, it's funny to think the dealership made this mistake....I mean it's not like there's slight differences in the wheels and the size difference isn't noticible or anything.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mattster
It's not an extra stu per say Rochester. It's a screw with a spacer on it, screwed each rotor in the front between the wheel studs. The way it works, is it fits into the spaces in the smaller wheels for the front, but won't work for the back wheels cause no spaces. The extra little screw is VERY easy to remove. Maybe the op didn't have one to begin with and that's why the shop mixed them up? Idk, while I'm not laughing at the op predicammint, it's funny to think the dealership made this mistake....I mean it's not like there's slight differences in the wheels and the size difference isn't noticible or anything.
I didn't know that was there. Thanks for the explanation, Matt. Good to know.

So that means these screws/spacers need to be removed for aftermarket rims? Can they be removed without yanking the rotor?
Old 09-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Oh hell yes. Just a ratchet is all that needed. Just remove the little screw from the rotor, and voila!

I had to remove mine to install the spacers, idk about aftermarket rims though.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Thanks, Matt. I almost feel like yanking one of the front wheels just to see this thing, LOL.

Well... probably not.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:44 PM
CutInactiveMods

Originally Posted by Rochester
So that means these screws/spacers need to be removed for aftermarket rims? Can they be removed without yanking the rotor?
Originally Posted by Rochester
I almost feel like yanking one of the front wheels just to see this thing
https://www.myg37.com/forums/3301598-post6.html
Old 09-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by CutInactiveMods
Old 09-08-2012, 09:19 PM
G35sportsedan

what do you mean larger tire in the back? do you mean width of the wheel or thickness of the profile?

here is how it should go for OEM

Front 225/50/18
Rear 245/45/18

the rear is wider but has a lower profile,

so if this is how they put the tire on then it is correct.