Help Can i put a 20x11.5 +25 rear wheel on a G37S Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 05:53 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggy
He asked if it would work, so tr answer is yes it will work.
I respectfully disagree, running tires that don't fit and ridiculous camber is NOT making it work, it's forcing it to work, temporarily, until something goes wrong.

I don't know how it is over where you're at, but down here at the shows, if you're rocking weak wheels and full sized tired nobody is going to look twice at your car.
Weak wheels? I honestly don't see what's so "strong" or "aggressive" about a crazy cambered wheels with minimal contact with the ground, please enlighten us. Show us quarter mile figures or track times or whatever it is such setup is strong/aggressive at

And with regards to car shows, would you like to see what sort of cars win here and get all the attention?

Getting looks and attention at car shows is very subjective, and is a function of the crowd attending.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:25 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggy
I don't know how it is over where you're at, but down here at the shows, if you're rocking weak wheels and full sized tired nobody is going to look twice at your car.
your modding your car to get more " looks" at car shows?
Old 09-08-2012, 08:10 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
I kinda gotta agree with DPE here. I'm more of a function person, but that's just me. Sam is right, when he said its being forced to work. But I have a question.

Is it safe?

That should be the question everyone should be asking. Is it safe to stretch a tire? Is it shaft to have almost zero clearence in your wheel well? What would happen if a tire gets blown going around a corner?

Looks are always subjective..I get that, but safety isn't.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:07 AM
ijahman

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
if it dont fit make it fit! insancestanceandoffset....
Old 09-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattster
I kinda gotta agree with DPE here. I'm more of a function person, but that's just me. Sam is right, when he said its being forced to work. But I have a question.

Is it safe?

That should be the question everyone should be asking. Is it safe to stretch a tire? Is it shaft to have almost zero clearence in your wheel well? What would happen if a tire gets blown going around a corner?

Looks are always subjective..I get that, but safety isn't.
Stretched tires are by no means safe. It is being stretched and not doing what the manufacturer intended. Hence why they suggest rim width for a specific tire size.
Ofcourse the guys running stretched tire will tell you how they ran a 225 tire on a 11j rim for xxxx miles with no problems
Old 09-08-2012, 01:26 PM
fairladyz34

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Lol at these comments

What size tire did you plan on running with the 11.5? I understand you want a functionally flush setup. 275? It would be a mild stretch and still give you plenty of contact patch. Sure you might need some negative camber but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Different alignment specs give you different handling characteristics. You might not hook the greatest on the 1/4 mile but who would bring stretchd tires to the track. For street driving I see no difference.
A real tire injustice would be using low quality tires and not proper ally maintaining tire pressure or lack of a proper alignment.
Or better yet, how about cheap cast wheels? Let's put something that's more prone to failure than a factory wheel on the car.
There's plenty of things that people do and will continue to do "wrong" in the eyes of others. It's their car, do with it as they may.

Anyway, I started to get a little carried away there, I was planning on doing 12 inch wide rears next season with a stretched 275. It's def do able but it does take careful measuring body work and other stuff.
However, I'm going a different route with my vehicle so we may see a part out thread very soon
Old 09-08-2012, 01:29 PM
fairladyz34

Originally Posted by ijahman
if it dont fit make it fit! insancestanceandoffset....
This man has perfected power and stance. The perfect g37 sedan, hands down!
Old 09-08-2012, 01:32 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by fairladyz34
Lol at these comments

What size tire did you plan on running with the 11.5? I understand you want a functionally flush setup. 275? It would be a mild stretch and still give you plenty of contact patch. Sure you might need some negative camber but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Different alignment specs give you different handling characteristics. You might not hook the greatest on the 1/4 mile but who would bring stretchd tires to the track. For street driving I see no difference.
A real tire injustice would be using low quality tires and not proper ally maintaining tire pressure or lack of a proper alignment.
Or better yet, how about cheap cast wheels? Let's put something that's more prone to failure than a factory wheel on the car.
There's plenty of things that people do and will continue to do "wrong" in the eyes of others. It's their car, do with it as they may.

Anyway, I started to get a little carried away there, I was planning on doing 12 inch wide rears next season with a stretched 275. It's def do able but it does take careful measuring body work and other stuff.
However, I'm going a different route with my vehicle so we may see a part out thread very soon
This. .
Old 09-08-2012, 01:35 PM
SoulSeeker

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i was only running 1&1/2 to 2 degrees of camber here is a picture with my +15's but i was on 19's maybe there is a difference on the size of the wheel from 20 to 19 but i wouldn't think so.

Derek's G37 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 09-08-2012, 01:43 PM
SoulSeeker

and i am going to have a slight stretch 275/30 on a 11.5 and this is not crazy this is a mild stretch and only be running a degree or 2 of camber not anything more then 3 thats not the look i am going for i am going for a little poke with some meat is the look as you see above that 10.5 +15 is on a 255/35 tire is not a crazy stretch a 255/35 has more side wall then a 235/35 so the side wall will stretch very easy, now i could go more conservative but thats not my style who says you cant be slightly aggressive
Old 09-08-2012, 01:46 PM
SoulSeeker

I never had any issues with safety i still can corner like a **** and my tire never fell off the bead but you need to get tires that have a stretchy side wall like falken 452's or generals
Old 09-08-2012, 01:48 PM
fairladyz34

I say its doable in acheieving what your your going for. It's a fatter stanced look and I think it's going to start to get more popular. That's why I wanted to go 12s with a 275, give it a wide beefy rear end look

I think you may at least need a mild pull tho for the fenders, and make sure you have someone do them that can work with the g37 rear fenders because of the lack of our fender lip. They tend to wave a little easier than a traditional fender that has more structure due to the lip
Old 09-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Doggy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And as usual people with no experience with aggressive setups will keep continuing to talk smack on it. It's ok doesn't bother me, at the end of the day I take my car out to shows, my car is designed for how I want it too look. And as I said its not a track car, is my daily driver thats still quick for daily driving. I know a big group of peoole here with cast wheels and meaty tires that I'm my opinion look retarded. But hey that's why everyone has a different style. And Sam your comment makes me lol, the answer is yes it will work end if story. He didn't ask will it work with factory camber and full sized tires, he asked will it work. Anyways you guys have fun riding your weak tucked cast wheel setups. At the end of the day if you put a car that's "functional" next to mine nobody will look twice at your car. And if you're tacking your car then you're better off buying a different car. Back to op, throw it on and show everyone what's possible
Old 09-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Skyline6mt
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
you could easily run 275/285 on a 10.5 without it looking too blocky. 255 is pretty stretched. Remember a wider rim adding all that weight is kind of going to negate the advantage gained from more rubber.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:36 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Out of curiosity Doggy, what is it that's aggressive about your setup? And why are everyone else's wheels "weak"?

If you'd like to speak with that logic, then true, you take a very hot woman with minimal clothing to a gay bar and no will look twice at her either, it's all about the crowd

Quick Reply: Help Can i put a 20x11.5 +25 rear wheel on a G37S Coupe