installed coupe 19's on sedan, quick question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:03 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Something to consider. I was thinking of getting PSS when I need to replace my Yoko S. Drives. But maybe a directional tire will be better. (not necessarily in terms of performance, but for rotation of staggered fitment).
Old 07-18-2012, 05:36 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
@Neal, any comments about the softer sidewalls/stock sizes. If that is the case, seems like a step backwards for a performance tire.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:52 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
Maybe I'm not visualizing it. But what is the benefits of that? Say you have inside tire wear. If you flip the entire mounted tire/wheel to the other side, wouldn't the inside tire wear still be inside on the other side?

Here is the visual if you were to take the tires completely off the wheel and swap them. The benefit is the inside that had camber wear will now be on the outside.

Originally Posted by soundmike

PSS tires are assymetric non-directional. Dismounting them then re-mounting them to an opposite side would still mean the marked "Outside" wall will still face out. Theoretically you can have the outside wall face in, as in how you described it, but it will affect how the tire performs -- especially with the PSS where 3/4 of the inner tread is an all-season compound and the 1/4 outer tread is a summer compound with larger blocks for cornering traction.

The method you mention usually only applies to directional tires like the Hankook V12's, which does not specify an outside or inside wall.

With a staggered PSS set-up, you literally flip the entire mounted tire/wheel onto the other side and it's the same thing as dismounting the tire and re-mounting it, but without the extra hassle and cost.
I did not know the PSS were made that way. Interesting. They seriously don't want you getting more than 10k out of your tires then, so I guess performance is considered priority number 1. However, my assumption is most Ferrari owners could care less about those two things anyway.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:02 PM
whatthefoie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey guys, sorry it took so long.. but here are pics! theyre just quick shots, but i also included some closeups. for those wondering these 19's went straight on without any modding, along with the PSS of course.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:15 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Looks fantastic man, very classy. What color did you end up going with?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:31 PM
whatthefoie

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Looks fantastic man, very classy. What color did you end up going with?
Thanks bro, a lot haha

i went with a color the shop had, it was called bengal silver. i pretty much just brought the guy out to my car and asked what color they had that was closest to my OEM 17's, and he recommended the color i have now. they were really cool, i started with a light gray but it turned out really weird, so they redid it for me.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:06 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Here is the visual if you were to take the tires completely off the wheel and swap them. The benefit is the inside that had camber wear will now be on the outside.

I did not know the PSS were made that way. Interesting. They seriously don't want you getting more than 10k out of your tires then, so I guess performance is considered priority number 1. However, my assumption is most Ferrari owners could care less about those two things anyway.
I knew that. I was referring to soundmike's statement about not dismounting them and straight swapping the entire wheel with tires mounted to either side.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:16 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
whatthefoie, so what sizes did you end up going with?

How is the turn in? Does the tire seem slow to respond as stated by another user elsewhere in this thread?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:25 PM
whatthefoie

Originally Posted by Jsolo
whatthefoie, so what sizes did you end up going with?

How is the turn in? Does the tire seem slow to respond as stated by another user elsewhere in this thread?
OEM sizes, 225/45 245/40. i was very much considering plus zero but it was too expensive.

i havent driven around too much yet but there are no complaints. im no expert so i dont think i could give sound judgement on handling other then it feels very very good. it feels like it takes less effort to turn, and it just feels like the car is glued to the road.