Are Michelin PSS much better than Dunlop SP Sport Maxx A/S?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 04:53 PM
*GP*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are Michelin PSS much better than Dunlop SP Sport Maxx A/S?

Are the Michelin Pilot Super Sports worth a $750 upgrade over the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx all-seasons? I have a new XS and I use dedicated winter tires (live in MN). This car came with the Dunlops and they're supposed to be considered high performance all-seasons. I'm trying to make the car more responsive without shelling out too much because I'm leasing it. I'm not a big fan of the standard suspension on the XS version, but don't want to get too complicated by changing out springs/coils, etc. I installed the Hotchkis sway bars and noticed a good difference so it was a worthy upgrade for $425. The only other thing I would do is change out to summer tires, but are they worth $750 installed? It's still a chunk of change but I'm tempted. Hmmm....
Old 06-29-2012, 05:00 PM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Can't really compare max performance summer tires to high performance all-seasons... that's not really a fair comparison.

That said, the Mich PSS's are the best summer tires for our cars, although not the cheapest (incidentally, not the most expensive either so IMO they are a great value!)

Depends on how you intend to use the car. If you want something to last through all four seasons, the PSS won't work. If you have a second set of wheels and tires for the winter, then IMO go for it if you can afford to.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Good question. I have owned the Michelins and they were great tires just a little pricey IMO. I just bought a set of Sport Maxx but have not put them on. Side note is that I live in FL so there is no such thing as winter so they are "summer tires" all year round.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:22 AM
superjer2000

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by *GP*
Are the Michelin Pilot Super Sports worth a $750 upgrade over the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx all-seasons? I have a new XS and I use dedicated winter tires (live in MN). This car came with the Dunlops and they're supposed to be considered high performance all-seasons. I'm trying to make the car more responsive without shelling out too much because I'm leasing it. I'm not a big fan of the standard suspension on the XS version, but don't want to get too complicated by changing out springs/coils, etc. I installed the Hotchkis sway bars and noticed a good difference so it was a worthy upgrade for $425. The only other thing I would do is change out to summer tires, but are they worth $750 installed? It's still a chunk of change but I'm tempted. Hmmm....
Yes. Buy them. I have a GxS also and I sold the Dunlop A/S early on (Because they are horrendous) and bought the PSS. Great tire. Oddly enough in the 225 size I bought them in (same as the OEM 18") they were significantly lower priced than in other sizes. Not sure if they increased the price since last year.

I can still make the rear slide out pretty easily if i am going around a corner and i give it some gas but it is pretty progressive and easy to modulate.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:21 AM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Check out the current edition of Car & Driver - they did a tire comparison. Michelin PSS was rated #1 in their tests. Best combined wet & dry performance.

If you wanted a track tire - there was a Yokohama that had better dry performance.

For me - I think my RE050s are loud - performance is OK. If I were to replace them today (and I've thought about it!) - I'd go with Michelin PSS.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:30 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I believe I read that article... weren't the Hankook Ventus V12's the #2 tire at a significantly lower cost?

I have them on my car now. Good traction, but after about 12k miles they're done.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:17 AM
ashmostro

They should have lasted longer than that. The are warranted for it in fact. Alignment issues?
Old 06-30-2012, 04:21 PM
pride

it is laughable that the Dunlop sport maxx are called all season tires. The wet traction is terrible IMO.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:12 PM
cruzdog954

I switched from the RE050's which lasted 23k miles to the Michelin PSS - great tire. Even in Florida - taking those exits at a significant speed with no issues. Have not heard them squeal at all. Recently went thru a heavy rainy season and they performed flawlessly. Got already 8k miles on them and they look still new.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:52 PM
*GP*

Thanks everyone for the push...that's what I needed. I had them installed today and noticed a big difference! Those, along with the Hotchkis sways, definitely improve the handling of the XS. I just wish it had a stiffer sport suspension, but I don't really want to entertain that mod since I'm leasing the car.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:26 AM
firstinfiniti

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^Notice a difference in road noise and steering feel?

Last edited by firstinfiniti; 07-01-2012 at 03:27 AM. Reason: incomplete
Old 07-01-2012, 11:03 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ashmostro
They should have lasted longer than that. The are warranted for it in fact. Alignment issues?
My alignment is fine, and they wore evenly. I rotated them once. I am -1.8 camber on all 4 corners due to KW coilovers and a modest drop.

If they are warranted, I expect to get a prorated refund since I will return to the same tire shop. Not getting Hankook again, though. I'll probably go back to the Yokohama S. Drive. Had two sets on my last G and they were a good tire and lasted almost 30k.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:08 PM
ashmostro

If very much like to know how that turns out- please keep us informed!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:14 PM
*GP*

Just an update on the Michelin PSS. Great tire. Period. I don't notice any increase in noise or major change in steering response when compared to the stock Dunlop Sport Maxx A/S. The car is definitely more stable in the corners. I would highly recommend them...but also take a look at the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position. They are a little cheaper than the PSS and also rated extremely high (#2) on Tirerack.com for a Max Performance Summer tire. I also think they look a little better. Also, I got the OEM tire size...225/50 18. I sort of wish I would have bought a 245/45 18 tire, but they were a lot more expensive in the PSS.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:09 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
The S-04s will have the stiffest sidewalls of the two. Bridgestone's are known for that. They're also known to be heavier than other makes of similar sizes, by a few pounds.

Quick Reply: Are Michelin PSS much better than Dunlop SP Sport Maxx A/S?