Official~Best offsets for running FAT tires!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:30 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by teekaywhy
Great thread! Too bad I don't have time to read all 31 pages here at work.
I got a great deal off the site for a square Five AD SF5 setup. 265/30/20 +33 ( I think) on 10" rim widths.Now, I'm finding I have a slow leak on one of the tires between the bead and the rim. Took it to a local shop and had them try to clean it up. No dice. Still leaking. It's odd, some days it leaks like a ****...other days it holds pressure.
My option at this point is to replace the tires with something less stretched. I'm thinking 275/30 front and 285/30 rears. No drop on the suspension. I sort of like the "bulldog" look with the wheels sticking out.
Any fitment issues?
Since you're not dropped and don't mind the "poke" you'll have no problem fitting the 275s & 285s on there (I've got 295s on 10" rims and they fit great)
only concern (and it's a serious concern) would be hitting your fender edge under severe impact. Doubtful that it would happen at stock height but I think the bump stops won't get hit until your under the fender edge. You could measure the distance or maybe another member could confirm. That would really suck to have your G looking just right then smash a curb or a big pothole and then have your fender mangled
Old 07-22-2013, 09:42 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by vwalkerg37
I think I will...I went with the sizes my tire shop recommended, but I think a little fatter would be sweet.
I am waiting to do the drop till I get my FI CBE so I can see how much I want to do. I am only thinking 1" in rear and maybe 1.5" in front. I do not want any scraping nor do I want to fear driveways or speed bumps. I love the lowered look and performance gains...hate the tire issues and some of the other things it can cause. My friends g is on coil-overs with camber kit...with a staggered set and he eats rears...even though he has it aligned every 6 months (or so he says! )
Your friend must have pretty aggressive camber, toe out of spec, or a poor alignment shop. My treadwear is OEM perfect and all my alignment specs are well within factory ranges. You shouldn't have any issues as long as you get your alignment in spec. If that means having to pay for the camber arms & toe kit IMO it's a small price to pay to have your vehicle set up for the long haul, and they'll pay for themselves if you keep your G a few years.
I hear you about being too low. I was on B&G springs that dropped 2" F (25.75" to fender) and 1.75" (26" to fender) rear and it was nerve-wracking a lot of the time. Going into unknown parking garages w/ huge speed bumps, steep drive angles and even minor road debris was always cause for concern. Being dropped to zero gap (26.25" all 4 corners) is so much better, don't even give scraping a second thought anymore. Amazing what 1/2" can do for your piece of mind
Old 07-23-2013, 11:43 AM
teekaywhy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blnewt
Since you're not dropped and don't mind the "poke" you'll have no problem fitting the 275s & 285s on there (I've got 295s on 10" rims and they fit great)
only concern (and it's a serious concern) would be hitting your fender edge under severe impact. Doubtful that it would happen at stock height but I think the bump stops won't get hit until your under the fender edge. You could measure the distance or maybe another member could confirm. That would really suck to have your G looking just right then smash a curb or a big pothole and then have your fender mangled
Thanks blnewt. You've been a great resource for this whole thing, almost by accident.
I'm going to rotate the two rears (265s) to the front and replace the two fronts with the 285s and stick em in the back. Should work out.
I hear you on the fender issue. Hopefully I won't have that issue...but just to be sure, should I roll the fender in the back? Or just go ahead and drop the suspension?
The following users liked this post:
Robert_K (07-24-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 01:19 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by teekaywhy
Thanks blnewt. You've been a great resource for this whole thing, almost by accident.
I'm going to rotate the two rears (265s) to the front and replace the two fronts with the 285s and stick em in the back. Should work out.
I hear you on the fender issue. Hopefully I won't have that issue...but just to be sure, should I roll the fender in the back? Or just go ahead and drop the suspension?
Actually you're in luck, the rears are fully rolled from the factory, some guys trim back the under fender liner and I think there's a bracket that some have to trim, didn't have to do either w/ mine
Old 07-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
9x19" +25s w/245/40/19s. Your stock tire is a 225/55/17 on a 7.5" +45 rim, so using the calculator you'll get~
Inner Clearance:
0.95mm more

Outer Position:
extend by 39.05mm

Diameter difference:
-0.03" (-0.10%)
Your new diameter is perfect, 39mm extended out from your current wheel/tire might be a tough fit, especially stock height. Take a straight edge and measure out from your current setup for confirmation. Offsets in the mid to high thirties might work out better for a square setup.
I couldn't confirm the rim size & width based on your post so I just used the 9x19".
Thanks for the response and yes i was initially looking at 19.5" but now saw that they offer the same rim in a 20x10" +35 offset so I believe that may be a better fit? was looking at 275/40 tires squared and car is stock height.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:25 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
Thanks for the response and yes i was initially looking at 19.5" but now saw that they offer the same rim in a 20x10" +35 offset so I believe that may be a better fit? was looking at 275/40 tires squared and car is stock height.
You'll have to go 275/30/20, the diameter would be over 6% difference w/ the 40series, the 30 series you'll be less than 1% off.

For a square setup I think you'd be better off w/ +45 offset and get a spacer in back if you need to, the front fit w/ 275s on a 10" rim is hard enough, you'll need some offset help IMO. Also be sure the wheels you want will clear the Akebono big brake setup, many wheels won't, even a lot of 20s. You might contact Diego@Vossen and see what sqare setups he's been fitting or spend a couple days going through the Vossen pic threads, quite a few square setups to give you more ideas.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:08 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

You'll have to go 275/30/20, the diameter would be over 6% difference w/ the 40series, the 30 series you'll be less than 1% off.

For a square setup I think you'd be better off w/ +45 offset and get a spacer in back if you need to, the front fit w/ 275s on a 10" rim is hard enough, you'll need some offset help IMO. Also be sure the wheels you want will clear the Akebono big brake setup, many wheels won't, even a lot of 20s. You might contact Diego@Vossen and see what sqare setups he's been fitting or spend a couple days going through the Vossen pic threads, quite a few square setups to give you more ideas.
well hmm...those would have been going on the wifes car but I think i may just leave hers stock for now. But I did run across another thread in a diff forum about the XXR 526 rims and have fallen in love with them and their lip! Im just worried if they will fit on the 10' g37s sedan? was looking at the 20x9 + 35 for the fronts but dont think the 20x11 + 11 offset will work for the back? I know i'd need a camber kit and poss the rear fenders rolled? or would it be better to get the 20x9 + 35 or 20x9 +15 all the way around??? Anything else extar that I would need to do for these to fit?

or would it be better to go with the 18" stag? F: 18x9 + 25 R 18x10.5 + 20??
Old 07-24-2013, 04:02 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

well hmm...those would have been going on the wifes car but I think i may just leave hers stock for now. But I did run across another thread in a diff forum about the XXR 526 rims and have fallen in love with them and their lip! Im just worried if they will fit on the 10' g37s sedan? was looking at the 20x9 + 35 for the fronts but dont think the 20x11 + 11 offset will work for the back? I know i'd need a camber kit and poss the rear fenders rolled? or would it be better to get the 20x9 + 35 or 20x9 +15 all the way around??? Anything else extar that I would need to do for these to fit?

or would it be better to go with the 18" stag? F: 18x9 + 25 R 18x10.5 + 20??
Rear fenders are already rolled from the factory, but if you go w/ that aggressive offset you'll surely need to Pull the fenders. Like I metnioned, be sure whatever wheel you choose will fit the big front calipers, even many that look like they'll clear do not, so that's something I must stress.

Unless you really want the stretched/cambered look you'd have a much easier road going w/ conservative sedan offsets. Or go check out the thread that's more in tune w/ those type setups~
https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheels-...sh-thread.html
Old 07-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

yea ive been over there but at 100+ pages and almost 95% coupe talk its just hard to find anything for sedans.....even at a 20x9 + 35 you think id have problems? well besides the bbk clearance
Old 07-25-2013, 09:26 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

yea ive been over there but at 100+ pages and almost 95% coupe talk its just hard to find anything for sedans.....even at a 20x9 + 35 you think id have problems? well besides the bbk clearance
No, I think 20x9 +35 running 245s will be fine, here's a thread w/ that exact setup. Pics start at post #16
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ld-thread.html
Old 07-28-2013, 11:16 PM
teekaywhy

Soo.....your concern ended up being very real.
Took the car out this weekend after going with brand new Michelin PSS 285/30/20 on the rears. Stock suspension. 265s up front.
First big bump, I hear "screeeeeeeech". Of course, rear fender hits the tires.
This whole plus sizing thing is turning out to be an expensive project.
What can I do to fix this? Wheels are +22 offset. I guess I can find less aggressive offset and go with the 285s. Or can I drop the suspension and adjust the camber a little bit?
Old 07-29-2013, 12:47 AM
Skyline6mt
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^Just raise the rear up a bit
Old 07-29-2013, 05:16 AM
Robert_K
Registered Member

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Skyline6mt
This.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:18 AM
teekaywhy

Originally Posted by Skyline6mt
I can do that on stock suspension?!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:23 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Where is it hitting, and it's just the rear tires?
There's guys that trim a rear bracket or cut the fender liner to resolve the issue. If it's actually hitting on fender edge you're SOL (that was the concern I was talking about) but if it's hitting inside the fender you should be able to remedy that.

Quick Reply: Official~Best offsets for running FAT tires!