Replaced Tire - Did I make a big mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 11:52 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Just a contrary opinion....I would have put on a replacement RSA and been done with the situation. I was prepared to hate the RSA's based on reports from this board and comments on Tire Rack. That said, they have actually performed decently for the type of driving I do; a mix of city and highway driving. I currently have 22,500 miles on the car and based on current wear patterns they should last another 20,000 miles. So far I have not experienced hydroplaning issues and they have remained fairly quiet.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:50 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by financeman
Just a contrary opinion....I would have put on a replacement RSA and been done with the situation. I was prepared to hate the RSA's based on reports from this board and comments on Tire Rack. That said, they have actually performed decently for the type of driving I do; a mix of city and highway driving. I currently have 22,500 miles on the car and based on current wear patterns they should last another 20,000 miles. So far I have not experienced hydroplaning issues and they have remained fairly quiet.
IMO the G is meant to be driven, just can't do that w/ the RSAs, at least safely, they just don't hold the road well. I had enough after just 3k on mine
Old 06-11-2012, 10:11 PM
chopper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=The car has 1,700 miles (2 months old), so hopefully what you mentioned about just replacing one tire (with a completely different rating, brand, etc) isn't too big of a deal.[/QUOTE]

Your comment suggests that I wasn't clear with my earlier post. I meant to say, as Mr financeman suggested, that you would have been better off getting a replacement from the dealer so that you had a full set of matching tires. The total mileage of 1700 miles was low enough to have allowed you to replace just the one tire, assuming you matched the remaining tires. If you felt that the price quoted by the dealer for the OEM tire was too high, you probably could have gotten a replacement at a more reasonable price from a tire shop. Your tires are the single point of contact between your vehicle and the road, the friction patch that determines all control of the vehicle: handling, acceleration and stopping. You want to make sure that the tire patch is consistent on all four corners.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:06 PM
g37brad
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the responses guys! Awesome help.

I'm trying to come to a final consensus, and choose one of the 3 options:

1. Keep driving with the 1 different tire (Falken) in the rear.
2. When I can afford to buy another, buy another Falken in the rear to match the one I bought. Then sell the gentely used RS-A? If I do this, how long do I have milage wise to wait?
3. Order the RS-A online and get it put it on like I should have. Possibly sell the new Falken?

Thanks again!