Sedan Stock Wheels - What Replacement Tires is Everyone Buying?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 01:58 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Sedan Stock Wheels - What Replacement Tires is Everyone Buying?

Just curious what everyone is buying these days for replacement all-season tires on their sedans with stock 17" wheels.

I'll likely go with the Yokohama YK580's but they're only sold through Discount Tire.

Other considerations are the General G-MAX AS-03, or Kumho Ecsta 4X. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus would be my first choice but I can't get past the price tag.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Nomad4g63

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If u can get over the price. Nitro Motivo FTW!
Old 05-28-2012, 01:06 AM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Conti DWS recently came out with a 225/55/17 at $141 each, $44 less per tire than the Pilot Sport A/S.

P Zero Nero A/S did well in testing too. Cost $156/tire.

Those are the 3 I'm considering. G-Max and Kumho 4X are priced attractively (at $123 and $112 respectively), but did not perform nearly as well as the 3 tires above in wet testing.

For example

Wet Stop
DWS 90 feet
P Zero NeroAS 92
Pilot Sport A/S Plus 95
G-Max 109
Ecsta 4X 109

Wet Corner
DWS 0.91G
P Zero Nero A/S 0.90
Pilot Sport A/S Plus 0.88
G-Max 0.75
Ecsta 4X 0.75

EDIT:

Thanks for bringing up the Yoko YK580s. Never heard of them before. According to Yoko, supposed to be an upgrade to the AVID Envigor. Discount Tire's website quotes $155/per tire in my area.

Tread looks similar to the DWS. YK580 rated at slightly longer tread life (580 vs. 540). In our size, DWS rated for slightly higher speed (W vs. V).

Last edited by CougarRed; 05-28-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
Just curious what everyone is buying these days for replacement all-season tires on their sedans with stock 17" wheels.

I'll likely go with the Yokohama YK580's but they're only sold through Discount Tire.

Other considerations are the General G-MAX AS-03, or Kumho Ecsta 4X. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus would be my first choice but I can't get past the price tag.
The G-Max has been a nice wet/dry tire, but is average in winter conditions. Kumho's 4X has been a great bang for the buck being quiet and a tad longer lasting vs others. Michelins would be the best dry/response and do well wet, but that price is up there a bit.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:45 AM
strictlys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the bridgestone turanza serenity. Rides great, quiet and good traction all around. Much better then those GoodYear rsa
Old 06-23-2012, 11:48 PM
TinsleyC

I put on four Yokohama YK580's today, so far so good. Ride seems good. Got 30k miles on the stock RSAs.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:25 AM
joepa

I put on the Kumho 4X's about a month ago, 2009 G37x. Very happy so far, car feels more "planted" than with the RSA's. Last week I drove about 30 highway miles through heavy rain, no issues whatsoever.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:29 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I put the Pirelli Pzero Nero A/S on the M35 and it's been great.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:57 PM
CougarRed

Originally Posted by TinsleyC
I put on four Yokohama YK580's today, so far so good. Ride seems good. Got 30k miles on the stock RSAs.
Please update us periodically on these tires as information is scarce. Thanks in advance!

30K is good on RSAs, I'm at 6/32 after 11K. Probably change them out at 20K if not sooner. I wasn't comfortable with them in the rain on the freeway the other day.

And they are starting to light up my traction control light more often now that I've had the recent 7AT TSB done.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:47 PM
CougarRed

TinsleyC -

Any update on your new tires?
Old 08-19-2012, 11:47 PM
TinsleyC

I like 'em, nothing wrong with them anyway. They grip very well, the old RSA's would break loose easily, not so easy with the YK580's. Great on wet roads. At first they felt a bit squishy as new tires can but I'm enjoying them more now. I don't put many miles on the car, only have about 1200 miles on them. I honestly can't say I've taken them on any hard or sustained cornering yet but I have every confidence they won't disappoint.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:33 PM
TinsleyC

I had CougarRed PM me about my Yokohama YK580 experience from Discount Tire, and here's what I wrote:

I've been happy with them - grip is great. They are quiet and look good, too. I wasn't crazy about the look of the tread design on the DWS but didn't want that to effect my decision. It didn't, but I think it was some saying the handling of the Yoko was a little better, so I went that route. I do like the tread design on the YK better.

It's hard to get them to break loose compared to the stock tires. It can be done out of a corner on dry cement, but I do notice when the do squeal its louder than the stock tires. I guess there is more friction breaking loose later, hence more noise.

Cornering seems great. I was a little iffy when I first put them on, but kept reminding myself they were new and needed a break in. They are predictable and sure now and I have about 6k on them. I don't regret buying at all, even put a set of them on my wife's Volvo two months ago. They are great in wet or dry. Wonderful wet grip, actually.

Plus, I really prefer dealing with Discount Tire. I like that I can go to any of them with great support. Got my first free rotation just last week. I don't buy the certs, though. I found out they are only good for two years, not the lifetime of the tire. I mean, TireRack is great and I've bought there before, but I find the service better from my many local DT Dallas area locations when I actually buy the tires from them.

I would recommend an alignment before every new set of tires. They will last longer if you do. Firestone offers a lifetime with unlimited visits for the price of 1.5 alignments. I had mine done at the dealership (Sewell of Dallas) since it was in there anyway for warranty work.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:57 AM
CRV_33
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks for the follow up.

My brother purchased a set for his Lexus GS350 AWD and he absolutely loves the YK580's. He used to have a set of the Continental DWS tires and he really like those too. But between the two tires he likes the YK580's because they slightly grip better in the snow and how quiet the road noise is.
The following users liked this post:
TinsleyC (04-28-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 02:30 PM
joepa

Just wanted to post a 1 year update on my Kumho Ecsta 4X's. A little over 20k on them and they are getting noticeably louder. Snow traction this past winter was also a little disappointing considering I'm in a G37X. Dry traction still pretty good, wet traction I would consider average to good.

These tires felt great when new but have started to show a few deficiencies as they've aged. Overall I would probably not purchase them again. Definitely not a bad tire but I'm wishing I had tried the G-Max's instead.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad I did some searching. I was torn with staying with the yoko's (I have Avid Envigors) or go back to Bridgestones, but ultimately decided to go with the YK580s and will have them installed this morning.

My Avid Envigors were excellent tires for the first 8k of driving, then they became horrendously loud at low speeds and wearing excessively at around 12k (right rear is down to 3/32nds).

DT contacted Yokohama and they offered a prorated discount on my next set due to the noise concern and extreme tire wear.

This will now be my third set of tires (including when new) on my sedan in three years of ownership and I barely have 33k on her. I hope I get 3-4 years out of the YK580 or back to Bridgestone I go.

Quick Reply: Sedan Stock Wheels - What Replacement Tires is Everyone Buying?