2012 G37XS 7AT WONT stay straight!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:41 PM
johnnovember

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 G37XS 7AT WONT stay straight!

New 2012 g37XS <hr style="color:#FFFFFF; background-color:#FFFFFF" size="1"> I only have about 500 miles on mine, bought it brand new.

I have a problem with having to slightly correct the steering when driving to the left and to the right, even on a highway.

I have the stock Yokohama tires that came with the car.

I was beginning to feel like i bought a lemon.

Im scheduling an alignment check tomorrow.

Im worried about them telling me there is no alignment issue...

If this is the case, is there anything else I can do?
Old 05-01-2012, 12:17 AM
ayarj12
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not a genius here...but you're car is never going to stay exactly straight. This is due to roads not being made of 100% flat gravel and minor irregularities in the road that shift your tires. You're going to have to correct it no matter what.

Report back after alignment.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:45 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Make sure to get a print out too. Before and after readings. If not the alignment, then could be tire conicity. They'll probably start by road force balancing the tires.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:45 AM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe your car is trying to tell you it is gay?
Old 05-01-2012, 02:59 AM
unknowndesi
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
most highways atleast here in Toronto are paved in such a way to pull all debris or material either your car or stuff coming off a car or a truck towards the shoulders... drive on the left side your car will veer to the left if you drive on the right side your car will veer to the right... if you have larger tires your tires will grab the road more which will increase the pulling effect of the road... I once saw a BBQ fall straight off the back of the pick up from the middle lane and end up on the shoulder
Old 05-10-2012, 05:37 PM
johnnovember

Yup, the crappy advisor i had filled the tired to spec with some machine. Oddly enough he said he was just going to "turn it around" and after 10 minutes he came back and said he had the tires checked. The steering feels a big loose at slow speeds before it tightens up at higher speeds.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-10-2012, 06:58 PM
eVitO

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If anything would be wrong with your car, 95% sure that it's going to be alignment. You probably hit a pothole or some bump that threw it off. If it's not alignment, then it's your tire pressure, just recheck it yourself.

Again, like others have said, no road is perfectly straight, so you'll have to correct for that in everyday driving.

In case of the VERY unlikely chance that something is wrong with your car, it's your suspension. Might have blown a shock or something, or one of the shock towers is cracked. But again, this is EXTREMELY unlikely, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:20 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnovember
Yup, the crappy advisor i had filled the tired to spec with some machine. Oddly enough he said he was just going to "turn it around" and after 10 minutes he came back and said he had the tires checked. The steering feels a big loose at slow speeds before it tightens up at higher speeds.

Any thoughts?
That's because our cars come with speed sensitive steering. Steering is loose at slow speeds for easy parking lot maneuvers and such but at high speeds it tightens up to enhance feedback.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:31 AM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
My GF just a 2012 G37xS 4 door. I guess you have the coupe? But main things you want to check tires PSI, I bet they are at like 40PSI. When we got her car home they where at 40 to keep the tires from running low on air why just sitting on the lot. Also summer tires and of you have the BS RA50 on your car, them they will hug and pull at the road! You may want to look into replacing your tires. Not sure what kind of car you had before but the G with sport is going to ride stiff and your going to feel everythng!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:33 AM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
My GF 2012 g37xS 4 door came with 18inch stock Dunlop tires.. She
Old 05-11-2012, 09:07 AM
BACsader

I have a 2009 G37S with the 19 inch wheels that is having the same problem. When I first got the car, I love how the wheel was perfectly aligned and when I had the wheel straight, the car went straight. Now my wheel has to be about 10 degrees off center to the left for my car to go straight. I went to my shop and I was told the alignment was fine. However, I am thinking about getting a second opinion and make sure if they do align it, they align it with the wheel straight. Any thoughts?
Old 05-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I thought our cars came stock with Bridgstones not Yokohama?
Old 05-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
The G does this, you get used to it. The alignment can be perfect and good tires and they still have a bit of a problem "finding center". Road conditions conbritue to this more so in the G than any other car I have had except my 09 lifted Jeep. If you read reviews on the G's you would have seen that was one of the complaints about them. You get used to it and after a while you don't even notice it.

That being said the guy with his steering wheel off center needs his alignment done, at the very least the steering wheel centered.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:50 PM
BACsader

So I brought my car to Tire Kingdom today. The sales guy told me these cars need to be aligned every 3 months. I think that might be excessive. However, my service rep at Infiniti has told me this car is extremely sensitive and they do need alignment more often than usual cars. That being said, the difference from before alignment and afterwards is night and day. The wheel is perfectly straight, steering is much stiffer and responsive, and most importantly to me, tire noise has reduced dramatically.

I am thinking that the place I got my tires installed at doesn't know how to align a car. Unfortunately, it cost me $190 because I bought the five year alignment package at Tire Kingdom. It seems like a lot, but if you go twice a year for five years its about $20 per alignment. If it allows my tires to last a little longer, and me to drive happier, then it is worth it.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:21 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by BACsader
So I brought my car to Tire Kingdom today. The sales guy told me these cars need to be aligned every 3 months. I think that might be excessive. However, my service rep at Infiniti has told me this car is extremely sensitive and they do need alignment more often than usual cars. That being said, the difference from before alignment and afterwards is night and day. The wheel is perfectly straight, steering is much stiffer and responsive, and most importantly to me, tire noise has reduced dramatically.

I am thinking that the place I got my tires installed at doesn't know how to align a car. Unfortunately, it cost me $190 because I bought the five year alignment package at Tire Kingdom. It seems like a lot, but if you go twice a year for five years its about $20 per alignment. If it allows my tires to last a little longer, and me to drive happier, then it is worth it.
I know the exact feeling youre talking about. I remember I dropped my coupe on springs, and never got it aligned. Within 3 weeks, the car felt awful, it felt as if the car could spin out at any moment. Road noise was terrible and handling was so whacked. Went to a Firestone, got a full alignment, and I swear I felt like I was driving a brand new car.

Quick Reply: 2012 G37XS 7AT WONT stay straight!